Food & Drink

What happened to Red River cereal?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 11:25 am
Tags:
None
Feb 11, 2017
2 posts
I still make it with the old water ratio. The consistency is not as gummy.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1042 posts
288 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I often add a little RRC to Cream of Wheat. Gives either one of those cereals a nice change.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14670 posts
1119 upvotes
Toronto
[/b][/b]sounds complicated but is probably very healthy. Reminds me of my woodshop teacher who said eating the sawdust will regulate you for weeks lol. Thus wad the 90s when making light hearted jokes in school was allowed now he woukd be brought up on misconduct and Jose his job.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3168 posts
743 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 1:17 am
[/b][/b]sounds complicated but is probably very healthy. Reminds me of my woodshop teacher who said eating the sawdust will regulate you for weeks lol. Thus wad the 90s when making light hearted jokes in school was allowed now he woukd be brought up on misconduct and Jose his job.
It's very sad that, as a society, we cannot bond by making light-hearted jokes with each other anymore. Not sure where we are all heading but based on worldwide protests I see on a daily basis, it doesn't look pretty.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3168 posts
743 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 12:41 am
I often add a little RRC to Cream of Wheat. Gives either one of those cereals a nice change.
I have some of this "new but not improved" red river in my pantry and because I dislike the new texture when cooked, I found a good way to consume what I have (I hate throwing perfectly good food away). I mix in 1/3 oats, 1/3 bulk 7-grain cereal and 1/3 red river. I then use the 4:1 water ratio and the cereal comes out perfect. I feel so much better now that I have found a way to consume the last two boxes of this RRC which I will sadly no longer purchase.
Aug 11, 2012
488 posts
66 upvotes
Does anyone have a good recipe for making this in a pressure cooker/Instant Pot?
Aug 11, 2012
488 posts
66 upvotes
REALBAUCE wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 7:37 pm
Does anyone have a good recipe for making this in a pressure cooker/Instant Pot?
For anyone else that was curious, it works pot-in-pot (glass or steel boil in the tray using 1 cup water for steaming), 1/4 cup cereal and 2/3 cup water.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11109 posts
1533 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Ok, I just bought a box of Red River Cereal from Walmart and it is not coming out properly. I don't understand why my previous box was fine and this new box is just like what the OP described. Do I use less water? I threw out the box, so I am not aware of the new cooking instructions.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3168 posts
743 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:10 pm
Ok, I just bought a box of Red River Cereal from Walmart and it is not coming out properly. I don't understand why my previous box was fine and this new box is just like what the OP described. Do I use less water? I threw out the box, so I am not aware of the new cooking instructions.
I called the company about this when it first happened to me and it turns out that they get it from some place in the U.S. It's a completely different blend (I think one of the components is now steel cut wheat, etc.) and I really didn't like it. I still have one unopened box left that I can't eat anymore. So, instead of throwing it out, I have been buying the hot cereal blend that I do like (e.g. bulk bin at Save On Foods is quite good) and working in a small amount of the Red River stuff. At least that way I'm getting my nutrition and I'm consuming the stuff. It's too bad they changed it. This has been my favourite hot cereal since I was a little kid and I still love it like comfort food.
Feb 10, 2010
771 posts
264 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Becks wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:10 pm
So you wrote on this same thread one June 2016 about the same problem and make OP explained for the third time what really happened with this Red River cereal I never heard before of?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11109 posts
1533 upvotes
City of Vancouver
My last box, which was bought this year, didn't have any problems. It's just this recent box. That's what's baffling. I just retrieved the box from out of recycling, so I'll now be able to read the instructions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3168 posts
743 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:03 pm
My last box, which was bought this year, didn't have any problems. It's just this recent box. That's what's baffling. I just retrieved the box from out of recycling, so I'll now be able to read the instructions.
Can you also see if it says "Product of the USA" on it. I am also curious when you bought the last box you say was normal. The blend that I am thinking of as normal is the one that takes 4 cups of water to 1 cup of dry cereal when you cook it. The new blend takes less water per dry material. I am wondering if they are reverting back to the old blend but now have two different batches out there on the shelves.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11109 posts
1533 upvotes
City of Vancouver
The portion size of water and cereal is the same. The cooking time looks longer. Made in the USA.