• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2011 11:49 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 21, 2004
196 posts

What happened to Shell Easypay??

I was at the Woodbine and Major Mac Shell and I was looking all over the pump for the easypay. Asked the gas tenant and he said that they didn't put it in and the new stations won't have them.

Anyone know why?!?!
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5477 posts
307 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
JitzKing wrote:
Jul 10th, 2010 2:32 pm
I was at the Woodbine and Major Mac Shell and I was looking all over the pump for the easypay. Asked the gas tenant and he said that they didn't put it in and the new stations won't have them.

Anyone know why?!?!
Why are you outraged...use paypass on your shell bmo credit card. It didn't catch on, esso is phasing theirs out as well.
Regards,
--
m4gician
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help! Tweet or Email anytime!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9246 posts
644 upvotes
m4gician wrote:
Jul 10th, 2010 3:04 pm
Why are you outraged...use paypass on your shell bmo credit card. It didn't catch on, esso is phasing theirs out as well.
is it shocking that people don't seem to want to attach their credit card on their keychain?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7666 posts
761 upvotes
North York
m4gician wrote:
+1

All merchants will support the PAYPASS in the near future. The makes these previous gas station quick pay offerings redundent.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6816 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
It's the one touch link to CC + AirMiles or Esso Extra or whatever that's convenient.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7666 posts
761 upvotes
North York
Drew_W wrote:
Jul 10th, 2010 4:26 pm
It's the one touch link to CC + AirMiles or Esso Extra or whatever that's convenient.
I doubt many people signed up for it.

Just look at the number of people whom use their credit card at the gas pumps vs. going inside to pay. I was shocked - seems like only 25% would pay at the pumps. (So many do not trust a machine with their CC.)

So can you imagine the sign-up rate for these quickpay dongles. What if you lose your dongle/keys? Is Visa going to do a reverse payment? (I doubt it as you did not lose your Visa card. You signed away your Visa card!) Is Shell/Esso going to cancel the gas charges?

So quickpay was a good idea, but not enough consumer research was done. A very expensive mistake for Shell/Esso.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8025 posts
248 upvotes
Seems to me majority people pay at the pumps. It's a pain to go inside, line up, and pay. Speedpass and Easypass are awesome. I dno't have to carry my aeroplan or airmiles card. But I only have the speedpass on my keychain since aeroplan is 100x better than airmiles.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
[OP]
Oct 21, 2004
196 posts
the gas tags are very convenient. i don't need to take my wallet out of my pocket. this is especially handy since i ride a motorcycle

as for losing the tag. if you have it on your car keys, the chances of losing it is as low as you losing your wallet. if you carry the tag on it's own then you might as well use a credit card...

if they go with the easypass, maybe they should have a tag option as well?
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
It is all about cost. The service may be a good idea but the customer does not support it or does not support it enough to be cost effective. In order to proper support it, they will also need to keep on improving the technology of the tag and scanner for security reason. I guess the cost per customer/transaction does not justify the need especially there will be an industrial standard such as paypass.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2909 posts
63 upvotes
m4gician wrote:
Really? Esso phasing out their speedpass? That thing is so convenient! :mad:
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1970 upvotes
I always thought Easypay was very popular. I know lots of people who use it and I see it being used all the time when I'm getting gas. Perhaps, it is only popular with those who's neighbourhood station is a Shell. I find it extremely convenient especially late at night or on cold days when I don't want to be fumbling for my credit card and my air miles card. Many times I have forgotten my wallet at home but I can still get gas because I always have my Easypay tag with me. Instead of getting rid of it, Shell should invest some more money in promoting it.
Jun 11, 2008
111 posts
90 upvotes
I was told earlier this week by the attendant at a Shell gas station that EasyPay will be cancelled by June 1st.

What a shame! I love this (and Esso Speedpass) technology as it beats waiting in line to pay.

:mad: :cry:
LCBO Vintages Wine Picks and Reviews
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
1015 posts
51 upvotes
Calgary
wow, I love Easypay. Feels so good to just scan, fillup, and go. No need to fumble around with your wallet to grab your cc and your am cards.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2006
1014 posts
22 upvotes
Markham/GTA
Shell, I am disappoint.
× < >