Students

What happens to all the students after the first week?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2010 12:22 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2010
2479 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto

What happens to all the students after the first week?

Every year I notice that the first week of school (university/college) that the campus is completely packed. People everywhere and it's almost like the university is at overcapacity. However during the 2nd week it starts to thin out and by the 3rd week it's back to normal capacity.

What happens to all these students that disappear? Do they skip? drop out? realized they were at the wrong campus? were only there to hang out with friends? I think that some students just get a feel for the class or just want to be there for the intro and start skipping. My buddy thinks that many have second thoughts and drop out.
7 replies
Jun 29, 2009
147 posts
10 upvotes
Most are still there. The first week, all the new students are out and about walking around campus, exploring, etc. They basically flood the halls and walk ways and make it look like it's full.

Second week and on, most people have likely settled on a routine. They spend less time walking around and more time at their hang outs, library, clubs, etc. Less people walking around the halls and walk ways making it seem like it's emptier.

It's basically the chaos of the first week which makes it seem fuller.
Mar 3, 2008
457 posts
48 upvotes
Merc with a Mouth wrote:
Aug 25th, 2010 10:46 pm

What happens to all these students that disappear?
Tons come at the start to get their book lists and course outlines and then rarely- if ever-bother to show up again other than to complete tests or hand-in assignments.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2007
4313 posts
662 upvotes
London
Most of the students just stop coming to class. Just compare your classroom in the first week to the middle of the semester. I think it's great because the first couple of weeks on campus just feels a little too crowded.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4036 posts
179 upvotes
Woodbridge
I go during the first week for sight-seeing, then the weather cool downs and there's nothing to see so I stop attending... :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2006
7290 posts
507 upvotes
Vancouver
They attend until they figure out if it's worth going to lectures or if the textbook + online notes are enough. If the professor's lectures aren't worth going to, many people use their time elsewhere.
× < >