Home & Garden

What happens if I don't pay a condo bill i don't agree with?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 11:17 am
[OP]
Jun 14, 2015
49 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON

What happens if I don't pay a condo bill i don't agree with?

My neighbors below got some paint damage. Condo sent a plumber and determined it was my shower valve.
My plumber says what the leak came from my bathtub overflow, tub was rusted there and it makes sense because
when the leaked happened I extensively used the tub for the first time ever. Moreover, i'm told if shower cartridges leak,
they leak inside the tub most of the time.

Whatever the case, there is no doubt in my mind the condo plumber misdiagnosed the leak,
had i simply followed their advise and replaced only the shower cartridge they same leaked what have happened.
That's major incompetency on the plumber's part.

The condo sent me a bill for 2 "base hours" of labor what what must have taken no more than 15 minutes.
I don't want to pay it.

What happens if I don't pay? I'm happy to go to arbitration or court, i'm just wondering what exactly to expect.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2307 upvotes
Edmonton
They can place a lien on your property, and force the sale of it.

Worst case scenario...

C
Mar 14, 2006
336 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
They have a right to take legal actions. Pay the damages now...it could cost you more if you wait...You do not have prove that the plumber misdiagnose ... Trades are expensive..it does not matter how long they are there....
[OP]
Jun 14, 2015
49 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That doesn't seems right, we don't live in a dictatorship there must be a line, what if they sent a $5000 bill for an inspection. Disputes arises, is there no process to resolve them?
Mar 14, 2006
336 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
What you described sounds like a reasonable amount... It was not outrageous!! You can't refuse to pay just because you don't agree with the amount... Anytime you call for a trade, there is usually a minimum charge.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7967 posts
2810 upvotes
Toronto
How much was the bill?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2307 upvotes
Edmonton
gisumomoh wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:41 am
That doesn't seems right, we don't live in a dictatorship there must be a line, what if they sent a $5000 bill for an inspection. Disputes arises, is there no process to resolve them?
You bought into a condo. You should have informed yourself of what that means.

Start reading here:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/owning-a-condo

Then maybe here:
https://www.condoauthorityontario.ca/en-US/

FWIW, 2 hours for a plumber to show up isn't unreasonable. How much to you think a plumber would charge to come out to a detached house to fix a 15 minute problem? HINT: It's not 15 minutes worth of labour...

Keep in mind that the losing party can be responsible for the costs to settle a situation (arbitration, mediation, court, etc). So a small fine can quickly become a larger one.

C
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1954 posts
931 upvotes
Oakville, ON
gisumomoh wrote:
Well, depending on the rules/bylaws in your particular condo - yes, it can indeed be like living in a dictatorship.

In addition to the links in another post, I’d strongly suggest that you read the rules/bylaws for your condo. It will set out if there is any sort of dispute mechanism and it will outline the consequences of non-payment.

And you’ve already agreed to this when you purchased your condo.
Dec 8, 2008
13 posts
7 upvotes
Winnipeg
We had water damage from our upstairs neighbour. They had a small leak in their kitchen. When everything was said and done it was the condo insurance that paid the bill.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4290 posts
2902 upvotes
GTA
gisumomoh wrote:
You clearly didn't read your condo rules before buying. If you don't like them I suggest you run for the leadership of your board to change them, or move out and buy a detached home.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25397 posts
2753 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Two hours is definitely reasonable. That probably includes a 1 hour minimum for labour and 1 hour of travel time.

Costs money to roll a truck
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
4149 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
Should read the condo agreement before you sign next time. The hours charged include travel time for trades.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3280 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
gisumomoh wrote:
You live in a place that you paid for, but have little right to change without having to present a case to the board, and almost no ability to make modifications to anything external. When something goes wrong, they tell you if they are/aren't going to pay for it.

it's not super far off of a dictatorship.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1164 posts
191 upvotes
When I moved into my house my insurance company wanted a plumber to come take a look at my cast iron stack and get a report on it.
The guy came, looked at it and said "It's good, $60 please"
I inquired further and he said that cast iron rusts from the inside out and there is no way of knowing how tough it is unless you try to poke holes in spots and even then you may not find the weak spot. I paid the guy no problem because if the pipe burst afterwards then I was covered now under insurance.
Yes, plumbers charge a lot just to come, and yes your condo management company could have handled it better by including you in the process but they didn't and yes it is a dictatorship (it says so somewhere in the wack of papers you got when you moved in) so pay it and move on.
Alex
[OP]
Jun 14, 2015
49 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Copy of the bill from the plumber is for 5 hours of labour. The primary job is for another unit. There was no "truck roll" specifically for this inspection. They charged 2 hours for what would have taken 15-30 minutes and didn't identify the correct cause of the leak. Moreover the management instructed me to replace an expensive part whereas the plumber's recommendation was for something else. Incompetence all around. Whatever the case i'm confident in my case. All i am asking for is whether there is a dispute resolution process for such things and if anyone has experience with it. Given this is RFD it's hard to believe everyone just rolls over every time their condo management screws them over.