Health & Wellness

What happens if i dont renew my Health Card?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2018 4:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
496 posts
119 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

What happens if i dont renew my Health Card?

I live in Ontario and my Health card is the green one with the photo id. It recently expired on my birthday. I was wondering what are the consequences of not renewing it? I havent renewed mine because of the inconvenience of driving to another city some 100 km away. Will i still be medically covered? Will hospitals turn me away because my health card has expired? If so then that seems silly since i am a born Canadian and i am entitled to free healthcare so i dont understand what the point of renewing, besides giving the government extra revenue when i have to pay for a new expiry date.

Does anyone have a related experience? I use to have the old red-white Health card which never had expiry dates.
34 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
566 upvotes
Near Toronto
You can do everything online these days so there's no excuse.

If you need to go to the hospital and you don't have a health card or medical insurance you will have to pay out of pocket and apply to get reimburse. It's like when someone from the states walks into a Walk-In Clinic, they have to pay.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2014
1166 posts
384 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Ebeniz wrote:
Jun 17th, 2014 4:56 am
You can do everything online these days so there's no excuse.
You obviously don't know how the system works. NO you CANNOT renew online. It MUST be in person at a Service Ontario Centre : https://www.ontario.ca/health-and-welln ... ealth-card

This is why I keep my white and red one, no expiration date. Not everyone can make trips to inconvenient locations (such as malls that are several KM to miles away) especially if you are disabled.
Something with more than two legs, but less than three.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
566 upvotes
Near Toronto
wowdoge wrote:
Jun 17th, 2014 5:28 am
You obviously don't know how the system works. NO you CANNOT renew online. It MUST be in person at a Service Ontario Centre : https://www.ontario.ca/health-and-welln ... ealth-card
Children younger than 15½ years of age will be sent a renewal notice offering a mail-in renewal option.
Adults 80 years of age or older will be sent a renewal notice offering a mail-in option

so I guess I wasn't THAT off.

Also, "you can renew up to six months prior to this expiry date." that's plenty of time to visit "the big city".
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
496 posts
119 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
But i am still wondering: What happens if one does NOT renew their Health card on their birthday? Does one officially lose Healthcare benefits? That's odd, if so!

Seeing as how the old red/white healthcard exists without an expiry date i get the sense this expiry on these new cards is merely a cash grab and nothing more. Why would a healthcare provider turn away a real Canadian who has one of these officially valid health cards simply because of some expiry date on it that originally never existed before?

It's not like the expiry date indicates i lose my Canadian status. I'm still Canadian! And still entitled to health care, as my old red/white health card had given me without any need for an expiry date.

If these old red/white cards are still grandfathered in then this is an obvious indication that expiry dates are useless. So i am just wondering what happens if i seek out health care after my expiry date has come and gone and i did not renew it.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2014
1166 posts
384 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
corezz wrote:
Jun 17th, 2014 11:19 am
But i am still wondering: What happens if one does NOT renew their Health card on their birthday? Does one officially lose Healthcare benefits? That's odd, if so!

Seeing as how the old red/white healthcard exists without an expiry date i get the sense this expiry on these new cards is merely a cash grab and nothing more. Why would a healthcare provider turn away a real Canadian who has one of these officially valid health cards simply because of some expiry date on it that originally never existed before?

It's not like the expiry date indicates i lose my Canadian status. I'm still Canadian! And still entitled to health care, as my old red/white health card had given me without any need for an expiry date.

If these old red/white cards are still grandfathered in then this is an obvious indication that expiry dates are useless. So i am just wondering what happens if i seek out health care after my expiry date has come and gone and i did not renew it.
If you don't renew your health card (the green one) you will lose any OHIP benefits and any hospital or doctor has the right to refuse and or bill you prior to care.
Something with more than two legs, but less than three.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
496 posts
119 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
wowdoge wrote:
Jun 17th, 2014 12:09 pm
If you don't renew your health card (the green one) you will lose any OHIP benefits and any hospital or doctor has the right to refuse and or bill you prior to care.
Thanks very much for the reply! Now i know.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21188 posts
2050 upvotes
corezz wrote:
Jun 17th, 2014 11:19 am

How is it odd? You are insured by your resident province, not the country; a health card is the proof necessary to establish this.

Also, how can renewals become a cash grab? Its free and Ontario absorbs the cost. The system is in place to prevent fraud, necessitating the transition to photo health cards; again I fail to see why expiry dates are "useless."
Nov 17, 2014
705 posts
3 upvotes
Bramledesh
When I went to the hospital with an expired OHIP, the nurse took my card info and my bill was mailed to me (can't believe a 5 hour wait with 5 minute consultation after midnight could cost mad bucks) and I went to Service Ontario to take care of it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5076 posts
497 upvotes
Scarborough
always best to renew ahead of expiry date, plan in advance for that.
So far it's free (no charge other than the inconvenience)

The health card # remains the same, only the "version" 2-letter code changes each time
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1211 posts
90 upvotes
I have the old red and white card but I received a noticed that "it was time to renew my card". Do I need to do it?

The letter didn't state any deadline or consequences of not doing so. I assume that if I do, I'll end up with a picture card that has an expiry date
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2954 posts
438 upvotes
bobor wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2014 12:00 am
I have the old red and white card but I received a noticed that "it was time to renew my card". Do I need to do it?

The letter didn't state any deadline or consequences of not doing so. I assume that if I do, I'll end up with a picture card that has an expiry date
I also have the old red and white card. So far I have not received the letter to report for a card with a picture. But my understanding was - and this may have changed - that you have 30 days post the letter to report for a new card (unless you were away etc.). My husband's red and white card was falling apart so he had to get a new card. We just went to the local DMV office - he had to complete a form, they took his picture and a couple of weeks later his new card arrived. You could probably save yourself some time if you get the form and complete it ahead of time.

It is funny, whenever I go to a lab they are always happy to see my red and white card.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7293 posts
797 upvotes
GTA
bobor wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2014 12:00 am

Once when I was at my doctor's office, the receptionist took someone's red and white card and after she put it through the computer she told them that there was a note in the system that they had been sent a letter to switch to the picture card and had not yet done so so they needed to do that before their next visit. This was a long time ago, so I have no idea if things are the same now.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Oct 8, 2013
67 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cash grab? When I re-newed my health card there was no fee...
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2954 posts
438 upvotes
sweetsimplistic wrote:
Aug 24th, 2014 10:13 pm
Cash grab? When I re-newed my health card there was no fee...
My husband substituted his torn red & white card with the photo version about 1.5 years ago. There was not a charge - at the time. And he had not received a letter. It wouldn't surprise me though if a charge is now being made or is in the works.