Health & Wellness

What happens if i dont renew my Health Card?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2018 4:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7293 posts
797 upvotes
GTA
Blanche123 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2014 4:11 pm
My husband substituted his torn red & white card with the photo version about 1.5 years ago. There was not a charge - at the time. And he had not received a letter. It wouldn't surprise me though if a charge is now being made or is in the works.
No there is no fee.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1100 posts
198 upvotes
OTTAWA
This is my story. Service Canada mailed several notices to remind my late parents to renew their red and white health cards. The last notice from Service Canada was that my late parents' red and white health cards have become invalid.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
967 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Rockymountain wrote:
Aug 26th, 2014 1:41 pm
This is my story. Service Canada mailed several notices to remind my late parents to renew their red and white health cards. The last notice from Service Canada was that my late parents' red and white health cards have become invalid.
You do know in the event of death one is supposed to return the cards right? Certainly doesn't sound like they were returned as required.....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1100 posts
198 upvotes
OTTAWA
CSK'sMom wrote:
Aug 26th, 2014 1:54 pm
You do know in the event of death one is supposed to return the cards right? Certainly doesn't sound like they were returned as required.....
I am just telling that Service Canada will invalidate the red and white cards.
Jan 28, 2009
98 posts
21 upvotes
I got a notice to switch my red & white card for a photo card. I ignored it, and then they sent me a second notice saying that I wouldn't be covered if I didn't switch. So I ended up going to ServiceOntario to switch. 45 minutes of my time, no charge for the card. Still waiting for it in the mail!
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1104 posts
37 upvotes
As discussed above, doctors and hospitals will refuse to serve you. Don't wait too long to renew or it becomes a hassle - I waited a long time and I had to bring a whack of pay stubs and residential information to prove I was living in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
159 upvotes
The ambulance may toss you out when they discover it is expired...
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11164 posts
1332 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
What happens if you dont renew your Health Card? You die from the ebola virus. Point blank.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Banned
Oct 14, 2014
127 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Originally Posted by wowdoge:
If you don't renew your health card (the green one) you will lose any OHIP benefits and any hospital or doctor has the right to refuse and or bill you prior to care.
corezz wrote:
Jun 17th, 2014 12:14 pm
Thanks very much for the reply! Now i know.
Yeah pretty true!
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1548 posts
311 upvotes
If it's your regular family doctor's office, they will likely still see you but put a note on the file that you need to have an updated card prior to your next visit. If your coverage expires, they cannot bill OHIP directly and so have no obligation to see you simply because you're a 'real canadian'.

The red and white OHIP cards do not actually have an expiry date and don't need to be updated - it's like having an old debit card with no chip. They cannot actually make you get the new green one as it will always be valid, but they will keep sending letters until most people will just get a new one to get it over with.

I've seen people with the old red and white card that's taped together or just the bottom part of the card with the number and the name - they refuse to get a new one just because of having to renew every few years. To be fair, in my experiences the process of having to renew isn't that complicated or time consuming at all.
Feb 21, 2016
1 posts
Kasakato wrote:
Jun 17th, 2014 12:35 pm
How is it odd? You are insured by your resident province, not the country; a health card is the proof necessary to establish this.

Also, how can renewals become a cash grab? Its free and Ontario absorbs the cost. The system is in place to prevent fraud, necessitating the transition to photo health cards; again I fail to see why expiry dates are "useless."
Ontario absorbs the cost...... Exactly!!!!! Where do you think Ontario gets the money to absurd this cost. The tax payers (us!!!!!!). So not free, just hidden. And we wonder why we have such a high deficit! So yes expiry dates are useless and a waste of my money and every working citizen in the province :-)
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21188 posts
2050 upvotes
User303881 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2016 4:22 pm
Ontario absorbs the cost...... Exactly!!!!! Where do you think Ontario gets the money to absurd this cost. The tax payers (us!!!!!!). So not free, just hidden. And we wonder why we have such a high deficit! So yes expiry dates are useless and a waste of my money and every working citizen in the province :-)
Holly old post. It appears you failed to read the post I had quoted.
Jul 31, 2016
220 posts
211 upvotes
Whitby
CSK'sMom wrote:
Aug 26th, 2014 1:54 pm
I'm thinking the dead have other things to worry about than returning their health cards.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9454 posts
3850 upvotes
Toronto
aye
luckystrike1 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 9:38 pm
responding to a thread from 2 years ago

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!