Health & Wellness

What happens if i dont renew my Health Card?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2018 4:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2903 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
ajacian81 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:57 am
I'm thinking the dead have other things to worry about than returning their health cards.
Nice thread revival; however it would appear you're unfamiliar with the obligations that the living have towards taking care of those who have passed along, including the lengthy processes that involve Service Canada. It's not just a 'they're gone, so it doesn't matter' type thing - there's a ton of paperwork.

When you collect the ashes or finish up at the funeral home they literally give you a information kit about all the steps you have to take
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Jul 31, 2016
220 posts
211 upvotes
Whitby
Chrispy wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 3:49 pm
Nice thread revival; however it would appear you're unfamiliar with the obligations that the living have towards taking care of those who have passed along, including the lengthy processes that involve Service Canada. It's not just a 'they're gone, so it doesn't matter' type thing - there's a ton of paperwork.

When you collect the ashes or finish up at the funeral home they literally give you a information kit about all the steps you have to take
I know, unfortunately had to deal with a couple of deaths past 2 years.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1680 posts
262 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Rockymountain wrote:
Aug 26th, 2014 1:41 pm
This is my story. Service Canada mailed several notices to remind my late parents to renew their red and white health cards. The last notice from Service Canada was that my late parents' red and white health cards have become invalid.
uhh, you mean Service ONTARIO, not Canada. Ohip cards are a provincial entity not federal.
Hi
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16482 posts
1458 upvotes
Space for rent
A health card is very essential so don't let it lapse. The longer you wait the harder it is to renew it. I had to jump through hoops and get berated, deservedly, for not doing it when I tried to renew a One year old card. Get it done unless you are suffering from agoraphobia or some social anxiety issues then just get it done with.

I find some locations in strip malls tend to process renewals much faster than some others. The one I go to is on Islington / Kipling on Lakeshore Blvd where there's a Sobeys and Mandarin. Quick 10 minutes in and out.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1680 posts
262 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
So everybody knows, you DO NOT Have to wait till ohip sends you the Replace notice letter to replace your red and white OHIP card, you can do it Any Time by walking into a Service Ontario Store today.
Hi