Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 5, 2009
212 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario

What happens if you don't show up for Traffic Ticket Court date. Toronto

Has anyone not shown up for their court date for a traffic ticket? Do they increase the fine and send the ticket home?
9 replies
Jul 30, 2006
69 posts
Toronto
You get arrested for not showing up for your court date, you have to pay several thousand dollars bond to not have to spend time in jail until your next court hearing.
Sep 15, 2003
68 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
Assuming your court date is for a traffic ticket where there was an option to plead guilty and pay the set fine, and that you have chosen to challenge the charge in court, then you will be simply be find guilty in absentia, as long as the ticket is "correct on its face." A letter will follow in the mail stating how much you need to pay.

Now if you were subpoenaed, then that's another story.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2006
1370 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
RajM wrote:
Jul 15th, 2009 9:19 pm
You get arrested for not showing up for your court date, you have to pay several thousand dollars bond to not have to spend time in jail until your next court hearing.
Hope OP does not take this seriously.

You will pay at least the fine, maybe a bit more for court charges.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3442 posts
1116 upvotes
Toronto
You will be flamed mercilessly.

Oh wait. :|
That's just what happens when you don't bother searching this forum for threads where this question has already been answered.

You will be found guilty and will receive a notice in the mail telling you how much to pay, where to pay it and when it is due. If you ignore that notice (or don't receive it), your licence may be suspended and you will not be able to renew it until you pay the fine and a huge licence re-instatement fee. You could also get screwed by your insurance company, since many of them now ask about licence suspensions.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7756 posts
3652 upvotes
Common sense - you automatically get convicted of whatever it is that you were supposed to show up for.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
15938 posts
2493 upvotes
Toronto
Your profile will be shown on the "America's Most Wanted" program.
Oct 15, 2007
852 posts
70 upvotes
pintobean wrote:
Jul 16th, 2009 10:16 am
You will be flamed mercilessly.

Oh wait. :|
That's just what happens when you don't bother searching this forum for threads where this question has already been answered.

You will be found guilty and will receive a notice in the mail telling you how much to pay, where to pay it and when it is due. If you ignore that notice (or don't receive it), your licence may be suspended and you will not be able to renew it until you pay the fine and a huge licence re-instatement fee. You could also get screwed by your insurance company, since many of them now ask about licence suspensions.
If it's a parking ticket, then they shouldn't be suspending your license since the ticket is against the car, not the driver. But I suspect that they'll not renew your vehicle plates until you pay up.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3442 posts
1116 upvotes
Toronto
Tacoma wrote:
Jul 16th, 2009 1:46 pm
If it's a parking ticket, then they shouldn't be suspending your license since the ticket is against the car, not the driver. But I suspect that they'll not renew your vehicle plates until you pay up.
Yes, that's correct.
I made the assumption that when the OP said "traffic ticket" he was talking about tickets for violations of the Highway Traffic Act. I assumed that he would have said "parking ticket" if he was indeed talking about tickets for violations of the parking bylaws.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16130 posts
357 upvotes
Etobicoke
Redro wrote:
Jul 15th, 2009 8:44 pm
Has anyone not shown up for their court date for a traffic ticket? Do they increase the fine and send the ticket home?
RajM wrote:
Jul 15th, 2009 9:19 pm
I'm detecting sarcasm....
robwc_ca wrote:
Jul 16th, 2009 9:32 am
Assuming your court date is for a traffic ticket where there was an option to plead guilty and pay the set fine, and that you have chosen to challenge the charge in court, then you will be simply be find guilty in absentia, as long as the ticket is "correct on its face." A letter will follow in the mail stating how much you need to pay.

Now if you were subpoenaed, then that's another story.
OR, you can file for a re-opening of your case. It's not all that unusual, though for the life of me, I don't know how anybody could forget a court date... :confused:
× < >