Off Topic

What happens if you don't tip?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 7:10 am
Tags:

Poll: what happens if you don't tip? AT ALL.

• Total votes: 102. You have voted on this poll.
1. They provide you terrible service if they see you there again

29%
2. They politely hold back their eff yous

39%
3. They say something directly to you

17%
4. other explain

15%
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41094 posts
4880 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

I just can't imagine leaving NO tip... Even with terrible service I'll leave an extremely low tip. And I'm talking horrible... Where the server had a bad attitude, never did anything, and legitly treated you like garbage. And argued with you when they got the order wrong.
What would realistically happen most of the time? Would you get chased out of the store or yelled at? Would any server actually do that?
Does anyone here work as a server? What happens when you get paid in EXACT change?
129 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6028 posts
440 upvotes
Servers, in most establishments I believe, have to tip out a portion of every bill they get to the kitchen/host (if any) in most cases.

So if your bill comes to $100 exact, and you pay $100 exact and don't tip, the server still has to tip a % of that bill to the kitchen staff/host. That means that the server is out of pocket (well, it comes out of their hourly wage) for having waited on you for the time that they did.

Obviously, the idea of being out of pocket for working for someone is a bit hard to swallow. I've heard of more than one occasion where a server ran out of the restaurant demanding a tip (not me, just people I know). I'm sure it happens.

If the service is awful, then that's on them, not me. They know the monetary consequences of good and bad service. Good service gets them a good tip. Great service gets them a great tip. Bad service gets them no tip. I never tip for bad service.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2823 posts
1010 upvotes
Montreal
Octavius wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 8:20 pm
Servers, in most establishments I believe, have to tip out a portion of every bill they get to the kitchen/host (if any) in most cases.

So if your bill comes to $100 exact, and you pay $100 exact and don't tip, the server still has to tip a % of that bill to the kitchen staff/host. That means that the server is out of pocket (well, it comes out of their hourly wage) for having waited on you for the time that they did.

Not true, in fact it's illegal for an employer to deduct anything from an employee's base salary.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4362 posts
1801 upvotes
Mississauga
Just because it's illegal doesn't mean some restaurant owners don't pull this crap with their servers.

Same with those places that leech off of tips to "pay the house".
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11674 posts
2690 upvotes
Montréal
If they provided the WORST service, why would you even leave them 1c? Also, who cares what they 'would' do next time, I wouldn't be foolish enough to go back so it's irrelevant.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1644 posts
914 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
My closest friends worked in the service insdustry many moons ago. From what I could tell when we ate/drank at their work places, they seemed to be really good servers. They would tell us stories about people that would not tip and there didn’t seem to be any reason. On one occasion, my friend had serve a really large table pretty much the whole evening. It was one of her only tables, she served them well, met all their requests and was extra attentive. The tip was less than 5% after hours. When she received it, she politely asked them was there anything wrong with the service or was there something did not meet their expectations. They all said that she was great and asked why. She then told them the amount of the tip seemed to reflect unsatisfactory service. They asked how much was left, she told them, they were horrified, one of the guys took all the tip.

I usually tip very well, unless the service is awful, if that’s the case I will call the person over and tell them why the tip is so low. Usually, I will tell the manager too.

I think if the tip is low and their reason, the server knows why, but if someone is just not tipping, then the reactions will be mixed.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11390 posts
6202 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Chinese waiters/waitress will come chase you down.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 18, 2017
519 posts
217 upvotes
London, On
One would have to be a very crappy server, or get an unlucky group of cheapskate customers to not have any tip money to cover off the back of house share.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4836 posts
4006 upvotes
mrweather wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 8:52 pm
Just because it's illegal doesn't mean some restaurant owners don't pull this crap with their servers.

Same with those places that leech off of tips to "pay the house".
Except that the cooks are the ones that actually deserve more money... Servers do nothing compared to the cooks and they collect a majority of the tips.

IMO there should be no expectation to tips at all. Restaurants should just pay their staff a fair wage and not force customers to treat their wait staff like pan handlers.
Jul 5, 2004
23828 posts
3391 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 9:20 pm
Except that the cooks are the ones that actually deserve more money... Servers do nothing compared to the cooks and they collect a majority of the tips.

IMO there should be no expectation to tips at all. Restaurants should just pay their staff a fair wage and not force customers to treat their wait staff like pan handlers.
I agree, but the cooks make more per hour than the servers. The ability to pay servers below minimum wage is crazy. That should be done away with along with the practice of tipping. Pay servers a better wage and if prices go up, then so be it. It will be balanced out by no longer having to tip.
Jan 20, 2017
225 posts
35 upvotes
Don't say that aloud. The govt will ban it and restaurants will promptly add mandatory 10% service fee .....
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1793 posts
1119 upvotes
I used to work as a beer delivery person. Similar to ubereats but this was years ago and normally only alcohol. Sometimes you would get a 20$ tip on a 50$ bill. Sometimes they would count the pennies in front of you and give you the exact amount. I never got insulted or insecure due to tips. I gave everyone the same amount of service. Sometimes you would be in a situation where you would have to decide to deliver first to person A or person B. In which case I would give to whoever was the "regular" assuming they were generally decent overall with tips.

Any server that gets upset due to a poor tip needs to take a good look at themselves. Just because they didn't give you much or any tip, maybe it's their last few bucks for the week? Maybe they just lost their job. Yes you can argue if you can pay to go out you can pay to tip. But it's hard to determine how much stuff costs sometimes and maybe they only had 50 bucks on them? Bill came to 48.67?

Tips are just like a bonus in other jobs. You might have a good month, a bad month, or the company might take your bonus away forever. Can't be upset if you don't get your "bonus". Don't like sometimes getting poor or no tips? Find another job. Some servers do very well given that it is sometimes tips are cash so tax free.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
17113 posts
682 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Shaner wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 12:31 pm
I agree, but the cooks make more per hour than the servers. The ability to pay servers below minimum wage is crazy. That should be done away with along with the practice of tipping. Pay servers a better wage and if prices go up, then so be it. It will be balanced out by no longer having to tip.
What about how some restaurants add on a mandatory 18% "service charge" when your group size is 12 or more. And their POS machines still show the "tip" option, so most people (not paying attention) still key in their 15% tip :D

So restaurant makes 18% + 15%, pretty sweet!

Fortunately my office-mates are RFD-style cheapskates; if we go out for lunch and the group size is 12 or more, we split into multiple groups to avoid the mandatory "large group fee"!