Off Topic

What happens if you don't tip?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 7:10 am
Tags:

Poll: what happens if you don't tip? AT ALL.

  • Total votes: 102. You have voted on this poll.
1. They provide you terrible service if they see you there again
 
30
29%
2. They politely hold back their eff yous
 
40
39%
3. They say something directly to you
 
17
17%
4. other explain
 
15
15%
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
3652 posts
1094 upvotes
Parry Sound
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 12:32 pm
And you sound like greedy and selfish. So? You will continue to be this way forever. My time as a delivery driver taught me that most people are decent, some people are awesome, and some people are shitty. I never saw "Improvement" in tipping, regardless of whether they got their delivery in 15 mins or 45 mins.

Same with good or great tippers. Usually that way from the get go, and always tipped the same. Always got better service.

Maybe you don't, or haven't had to deal with people. If your regular job had a pain in the ass customer that always argued for discounts and asked for extras (say, in the Purchase Order phase of a purchase), versus a customer that spent top dollar, no questions asked, and was always appreciative of the product and service. Who would you rather serve, and who would you simply put up with? The answer is simple, but you'd rather project your shitty personality on others, rather than looking in the mirror.

Tipping is a thing in Canada, deal with it. It will likely never go away. Be good or be shitty, be at least be balsy enough to own up to the kind of person you are. I wouldn't tip a plumber because they make $50 an hour and charge $150 an hour, same with a dentist.

When I had hair, I used to tip my barber. Sales associate doesn't spend 30 minutes at a time helping me and basically only me, so why would I tip them?
You're literally complaining about customers refusing to be forced to tip and then claiming that you provide shitty service when the tip is lacking.

You are a terrible person. Stop blaming it on tipping.

Maybe look for a job where you get paid a fair wage and don't have to extort your customers to subsidize your wage. Maybe look for a job you can take pride in... one in which you enjoy doing the work because it's work you enjoy doing instead of basing your level of comptence and quality of work on the tip you receive.

Mandatory tipping AKA subsidizing wages for shitty employers will never go away as long as you keep supporting it.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2769 posts
160 upvotes
I am usually a great tipper, at least 15% and most often 20%+.
But the last 2 weeks, I've been traveling in Spain, and am enjoying the all-inclusive pricing whether that is with tipping when the service charge is included or the VAT taxes included in the pricing.

Canada should learn to do this. The price on the item should be the final price.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2010
2466 posts
280 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 12:33 pm
You're literally complaining about customers refusing to be forced to tip and then claiming that you provide shitty service when the tip is lacking.

You are a terrible person. Stop blaming it on tipping.

Maybe look for a job where you get paid a fair wage and don't have to extort your customers to subsidize your wage. Maybe look for a job you can take pride in... one in which you enjoy doing the work because it's work you enjoy doing instead of basing your level of comptence and quality of work on the tip you receive.

Mandatory tipping AKA subsidizing wages for shitty employers will never go away as long as you keep supporting it.
I already have a full time job I love, earning 85k a year. The driving I did on the side for some extra cash.

And if you read what I said, I said known tippers are given bad/mediocre service.

Every new customer always got my grade A service, but when that was rewarded with a goose egg, every sequential delivery was provided with the same appreciation they offered me, zero.

Zero **** given for shitty customers. I was always awesome for decent and great tippers, and they were always happy with it.

I'm sorry the reality of the food industry isn't what you prefer, but you can settle to be one of the terrible customers that everyone in restaurants hate serving.

Be proud!
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1793 posts
1120 upvotes
abc123yyz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 2:10 am
I disagree I eat out at least once a week at a restaurant and am a pretty decent tipper. TIPS are To Insure Prompt Service. If I am not getting prompt or courteous service why should they get the same tip as a server who has gone above and beyond. I view tips as a bonus at my workplace. As a salaried worker I expect some bonus at the end of the year. However if my performance was substandard why should I get my target bonus? On the other hand I have worked in places that paid out 115% of the target if you were exceptional.
TIPS doesn't stand for To Insure Prompt Service. The correct word is ensure not insure. The whole system doesn't make sense. You go out for dinner, show up and order your food. You expect good service, they expect a good tip. But the payment doesn't take place until the meal is done. So they may have done everything for you and you stiff them. Or maybe they gave you poor service yet still tip them. There's no way of them telling. So they work harder to hopefully get a tip? Doesn't make sense. Also you could argue that maybe you are a regular at a restaurant and tip well so expect good service in the future. But, let's say you show up and you get a new server? Guess all that money you wasted on tipping has been wasted.

Do whatever you feel is right, no sense trying to stay with what's socially acceptable. Everyone has a different degree of what's expected.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7636 posts
3796 upvotes
ON
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 1:09 pm
I already have a full time job I love, earning 85k a year. The driving I did on the side for some extra cash.

And if you read what I said, I said known tippers are given bad/mediocre service.

Every new customer always got my grade A service, but when that was rewarded with a goose egg, every sequential delivery was provided with the same appreciation they offered me, zero.

Zero **** given for shitty customers. I was always awesome for decent and great tippers, and they were always happy with it.

I'm sorry the reality of the food industry isn't what you prefer, but you can settle to be one of the terrible customers that everyone in restaurants hate serving.

Be proud!
Sure, sure !!!
Image
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2010
2466 posts
280 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 1:51 pm
Sure, sure !!!
Image
LOL, well, he kept implying that I'm biased and speaking out of some misguided anger about my own financial/employment situation. That's what I earn. *shrug*

I posted it a while ago in the Careers section (the 50K job thread, I think), and I still have the same job for the last 5 years. Driving was always a side gig; you'd be nuts to rely on it as your only wage.
Sr. Member
Jun 18, 2018
585 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
I don't eat out so I don't tip. If I do eat out, I am not sure what ''service" there is to begin with. You are taking my order and bringing the food to me.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
10658 posts
1690 upvotes
Toronto
Armageddon. Glad I don't go out too often where tipping is required. The pressure to just makes it less fun.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2013
2038 posts
675 upvotes
Winnipeg
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 12:12 pm
Tipping is obligatory unless you're bereft or by yourself.

I vary between 15% and 20%, the latter goes to better service.

I always tip. I've had groan men threaten fist fights over no tip, and ladies shriek and holler.
Post and username dont match... Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
6826 posts
3982 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Octavius wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 8:20 pm
Servers, in most establishments I believe, have to tip out a portion of every bill they get to the kitchen/host (if any) in most cases.

So if your bill comes to $100 exact, and you pay $100 exact and don't tip, the server still has to tip a % of that bill to the kitchen staff/host. That means that the server is out of pocket (well, it comes out of their hourly wage) for having waited on you for the time that they did.
It was never like that in any restaurant I ever worked at (thank God).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
8437 posts
1000 upvotes
Montreal, QC
It's kind of ironic that one poster asked "is $5 that much for you to tip?" yet in the same post said that when restaurants increased prices (to try and get rid of tips) that it drove customers away. Therefore one can infer that that $5-$20 is most certainly worth a lot for people.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2010
2466 posts
280 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 5:50 pm
It's kind of ironic that one poster asked "is $5 that much for you to tip?" yet in the same post said that when restaurants increased prices (to try and get rid of tips) that it drove customers away. Therefore one can infer that that $5-$20 is most certainly worth a lot for people.
You can quote me, it's totally cool...

That's where I find it silly. $5 should not be too much to tip. It's a pitifully small amount of money these days. But for some reason, it means something to a lot of people.

However, if a restaurant raises prices across the board, people notice and also run away with arms flailing. So unfortunately, there aren't any restaurants willing to take the chance with the no-tip policy, as they have so far failed miserably, and no small business owner wants to fail.

So while I totally get that enacting a no-tip policy and raising your prices accordingly should be a complete wash, in practice it doesn't work out like that.

Business owners don't even like raising prices because they know it drives people away, and usually only do it out of necessity. Would you order delivery if you had to look at your bill with a $9 delivery fee on it? Would anybody? Didn't think so...

Basically, the system is what it is, and we all just need to deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7636 posts
3796 upvotes
ON
Electrah wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 2:23 pm
I don't eat out so I don't tip. If I do eat out, I am not sure what ''service" there is to begin with. You are taking my order and bringing the food to me.
Must ...refrain...from...making...joke...
Image
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10545 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I tip 15% basically like 85% of the time.

If the service was shit I’d probably tip 10% or exceptional I’d tip 20%

I don’t have the balls to leave zero tip.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao

Top