Off Topic

What happens if you don't tip?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 7:10 am
Tags:

Poll: what happens if you don't tip? AT ALL.

• Total votes: 102. You have voted on this poll.
1. They provide you terrible service if they see you there again

29%
2. They politely hold back their eff yous

39%
3. They say something directly to you

17%
4. other explain

15%
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41071 posts
4852 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 8:10 pm
I tip 15% basically like 85% of the time.

If the service was shit I’d probably tip 10% or exceptional I’d tip 20%

I don’t have the balls to leave zero tip.
Thats how i feel too.
Its not a completely fair custom. But it is the norm around here.
Sure paying wait staff higher wages , no tips and higher prices is a great model in other places.
But things have been the same for so long. People won’t accept any other system.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7104 posts
3294 upvotes
Kootenays
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 10:55 pm
Do you tip your dentist? Do you tip your mechanic? What about the sales associate at Walmart for finding the item you need?

Claiming that the difference between a competent worker and a slacker comes down to tipping is nothing but ignorance. If you're a shitty worker then you're a shitty worker. Don't blame it on tipping.

Mandatory tipping does nothing but allow employers to legally get away with paying pathetic wages.
No I don't tip my dentist or my mechanic, because they already get paid very well for their proficiency. I don't tip my csr at Walmart, because it's a fairly low skilled job and if they are interested in their career, they will progress through the company, as will their wages. As a server, your wages rarely increase unless there's an increase in minimum wage, so the way to get ahead is to increase your skill level and increase your tips. This is the incentive to be a better server. It also makes it a much more rewarding experience when you can help a table enjoy their evening (or day) out. Tipping is not mandatory in Canada, so better servers make better money.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3862 posts
1202 upvotes
markham
I worked as a bartender /server for over 20 years in T.O in my youth..from pubs/restaurants to fine dining to great night clubs...one thing I did learn during all that time was ...the non tippers and cheap tippers ..where all real dicks personality wise...common theme?
and for those of you that think this is non skilled labour?...I think I know your personality
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5144 posts
395 upvotes
I always tip 15% at a restaurant with table service. However, in my mind I don't think of this as payment/gift to the wait staff, I think of this as part of the total cost of the meal to me, the same as the 13% HST I need to pay (in Ontario) for a prepared meal. But I rarely eat at a restaurant with table service; most of the time if I am not making my own meals, I will get takeout from a restaurant, eat at a fast food place, or get a prepared meal from the supermarket. To me, eating at a restaurant with table service is a rare luxury that I am perfectly happy to take a pass on if I can. I think the only time I indulge in the luxury is due to social obligation (e.g. Christmas lunch with co-workers). Since I do this so infrequently, the amount of tips I pay to wait staff is so insignificant that I don't really care about the percentage.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3651 posts
1091 upvotes
Parry Sound
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 1:09 pm
I already have a full time job I love, earning 85k a year. The driving I did on the side for some extra cash.

And if you read what I said, I said known tippers are given bad/mediocre service.

Every new customer always got my grade A service, but when that was rewarded with a goose egg, every sequential delivery was provided with the same appreciation they offered me, zero.

Zero **** given for shitty customers. I was always awesome for decent and great tippers, and they were always happy with it.

I'm sorry the reality of the food industry isn't what you prefer, but you can settle to be one of the terrible customers that everyone in restaurants hate serving.

Be proud!
Listen, it's very simple. You tip someone when they go above and beyond.

You do not demand a tip. You do not rely on tipping to get by.

Why do you deserve a tip for simply doing your job?

You do not.

It's that simple.

Stop complaining and trying to protect a broken system.

Mandatory tipping is nothing but customers subsidizing employee wages because the employer is too cheap.

You are not supposed to rely on tips. Tipping is a bonus.

Claiming a customer is shitty because they didn't tip you for doing your job is ridiculous.

You going out of your way to offer terrible service because of a lack of tip makes you a terrible person and a shitty employee.

It's really that simple. All your whining and complaining and crying doesn't change this fact.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4893 posts
811 upvotes
kenze wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 8:26 pm
Not true, in fact it's illegal for an employer to deduct anything from an employee's base salary.
Many restaurants do have this policy in effect. Just like its illegal to pay below minimum wage yet it does happen
I am a Koodo customer
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2823 posts
1010 upvotes
Montreal
HP_John wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 1:36 pm
Many restaurants do have this policy in effect. Just like its illegal to pay below minimum wage yet it does happen
Come on.. we don't live in China. The employee should record the event and go to the labor board.

If the employee loses his job the employer will be forced to prove that the dismissal wasn't related to the illegal actions.

The most likely result is the employee receiving a fat cheque if the employer dares to fire him shortly after the complaint.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8587 posts
1623 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Why is tipping even still a thing in Canada? I thought the increase in minimum wages was taking care of that. Now that they are making closer to a living wage, there is no more need to relay on tips to get them the difference.

The person at a fast food restaurant seem to do about as much works as the person at a table service restaurant, just a few less steps I suppose.

Greet me - check for both fast food and table service
Take my order - check for both
Get my food and drink - check for both
Get me extra condiments if needed - check for both
Refill my drink if needed - check for both
Take my payment - check for both
Check on the table in the middle of taking a bite and asking if everything is good - guess the table service wins here
Walks from the counter to the table - guess the table service wins here

So I am paying 15% to save me walking from the counter to the table and to be interrupted mid-bite. I don't really see the value. And if you are eating out, probably better to get a few extra steps in yourself.

I do still tip the few times we actually go to a restaurant, but it is usually around 10% now (unless they force the absurd gratuity by including it in the bill). I don't feel obligated to tip anything more. If there is an actual exceptional experience or my kids when they were younger left a huge mess, I would definitely consider a higher tip.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4827 posts
995 upvotes
Delivery guy gets a good tip. That’s a relationship move.

Chain restaurants (ppl still eat at those?) get a quick eyeball round up tip. Sometimes it’s 10%, sometimes it’s 15%, sometimes it’s 5%. I don’t think much about it. If the service is trash I’ve given a $0 before. Rare, but hey, you suck.

As someone else mentioned - restaurants where you frequent, where the staff know your name, where you both expect and want a higher level of service, you tip more. It’s not some rando serving your food - it’s Jessica. Whether it’s a local joint with your family or a place near your work where you take clients, the value is the relationship and rapport. You’re paying for extra friendliness, priority service when it’s busy, and them being generally on top of things to make sure your experience goes off without a hitch. It’s in these situations that I actually think about the tip ... 15-18% is standard. I’ve tipped more. There is a restaurant I’ve been taking my family to for nearly 20 years - when we walk in that place it’s like the prodigal son has returned home. People are happy to see you. The warm welcome greetings. The owner will come by when he’s in. You think that’s out of the kindness of their hearts? Don’t be naive. I put one of that guys kids through college.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4893 posts
811 upvotes
kenze wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 1:45 pm
Come on.. we don't live in China. The employee should record the event and go to the labor board.

If the employee loses his job the employer will be forced to prove that the dismissal wasn't related to the illegal actions.

The most likely result is the employee receiving a fat cheque if the employer dares to fire him shortly after the complaint.
I'm not talking about what is right & what is wrong. You said its not true at all, when in fact, many restaurants do have that policy in Canada & the US. Whether it is illegal or not, I do not know. But many restaurants have that policy, & no, I do not work in a restaurant. Its not a unknown thing either.
I am a Koodo customer
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
1679 posts
1353 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 1:25 pm
Listen, it's very simple. You tip someone when they go above and beyond.

You do not demand a tip. You do not rely on tipping to get by.

Why do you deserve a tip for simply doing your job?

You do not.

It's that simple.

Stop complaining and trying to protect a broken system.

Mandatory tipping is nothing but customers subsidizing employee wages because the employer is too cheap.

You are not supposed to rely on tips. Tipping is a bonus.

Claiming a customer is shitty because they didn't tip you for doing your job is ridiculous.

You going out of your way to offer terrible service because of a lack of tip makes you a terrible person and a shitty employee.

It's really that simple. All your whining and complaining and crying doesn't change this fact.
Amen, Mayor!
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
62 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 12:32 pm
And you sound like greedy and selfish. So? You will continue to be this way forever. My time as a delivery driver taught me that most people are decent, some people are awesome, and some people are shitty. I never saw "Improvement" in tipping, regardless of whether they got their delivery in 15 mins or 45 mins.

Same with good or great tippers. Usually that way from the get go, and always tipped the same. Always got better service.

Maybe you don't, or haven't had to deal with people. If your regular job had a pain in the ass customer that always argued for discounts and asked for extras (say, in the Purchase Order phase of a purchase), versus a customer that spent top dollar, no questions asked, and was always appreciative of the product and service. Who would you rather serve, and who would you simply put up with? The answer is simple, but you'd rather project your shitty personality on others, rather than looking in the mirror.

Tipping is a thing in Canada, deal with it. It will likely never go away. Be good or be shitty, be at least be balsy enough to own up to the kind of person you are. I wouldn't tip a plumber because they make $50 an hour and charge $150 an hour, same with a dentist.

When I had hair, I used to tip my barber. Sales associate doesn't spend 30 minutes at a time helping me and basically only me, so why would I tip them?
lmfao you are like a perfect textbook example of why i dont tip, never have, and never will. listen to this kid lmfao

basically leisurestl is saying that because he didn't go to university, study, get a bachelors and masters, and get a good job and has to work as a food delivery driver or waiter that depends on tops he is throwing all that blame on the customers.. lmfao. so its not because you didnt go to college/univ, not because you were lazy, but its cus customers dont wanna be forced to tip.

also another important note, do some of you in this thread and on this site know that in some religions tipping is forbidden? you want ppl to break their religious oaths for you because you were too lazy to get a degree and a real job? lmfao
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1777 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
I never tip more than 10% in Canada. Was in Spain, tipped 10%, waiter came back and said "I am sorry but this is too much"
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10544 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 10:07 am
lmfao you are like a perfect textbook example of why i dont tip, never have, and never will. listen to this kid lmfao

basically leisurestl is saying that because he didn't go to university, study, get a bachelors and masters, and get a good job and has to work as a food delivery driver or waiter that depends on tops he is throwing all that blame on the customers.. lmfao. so its not because you didnt go to college/univ, not because you were lazy, but its cus customers dont wanna be forced to tip.

also another important note, do some of you in this thread and on this site know that in some religions tipping is forbidden? you want ppl to break their religious oaths for you because you were too lazy to get a degree and a real job? lmfao
Lol @ you justifying your cheapness
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao