Off Topic

What happens if you don't tip?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 7:10 am
Tags:

Poll: what happens if you don't tip? AT ALL.

• Total votes: 102. You have voted on this poll.
1. They provide you terrible service if they see you there again

29%
2. They politely hold back their eff yous

39%
3. They say something directly to you

17%
4. other explain

15%
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2538 posts
1127 upvotes
Edmonton
webshark wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 12:30 pm
I have left no tip on bad service and had a waitress come after us and plead saying it would cost her money.
Did it work? Did you pay her?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2538 posts
1127 upvotes
Edmonton
Macx2mommy wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 9:04 pm
My closest friends worked in the service insdustry many moons ago. From what I could tell when we ate/drank at their work places, they seemed to be really good servers. They would tell us stories about people that would not tip and there didn’t seem to be any reason. On one occasion, my friend had serve a really large table pretty much the whole evening. It was one of her only tables, she served them well, met all their requests and was extra attentive. The tip was less than 5% after hours. When she received it, she politely asked them was there anything wrong with the service or was there something did not meet their expectations. They all said that she was great and asked why. She then told them the amount of the tip seemed to reflect unsatisfactory service. They asked how much was left, she told them, they were horrified, one of the guys took all the tip.

This happens all the time in large groups. I have been to many lunches where everyone throws in money and it's surprising how many times it is short or just over the amount of the bill. Maybe someone is trying to get a free lunch or people underestimate what they ate and the cost including tip.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3004 posts
320 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
kenze wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 1:45 pm
Come on.. we don't live in China. The employee should record the event and go to the labor board.

If the employee loses his job the employer will be forced to prove that the dismissal wasn't related to the illegal actions.

The most likely result is the employee receiving a fat cheque if the employer dares to fire him shortly after the complaint.
Not all employees are documented. If they don't have a working visa then they will naturally be afraid to report employer misconduct to the authorities.
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
62 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 12:56 pm
Lol @ you justifying your cheapness
lmfao yup. call me cheap cus you were too lazy to get a uni degree. i love it when ppl who wanna defend mandatory tipping as normal always say "but tipping helps mothers and is the whole reason why ppl become servers". lmfao, cry me a river booohooo. these ppl honestly have no shame. they try to boomerang the their laziness back onn others cus they were too stupid/lazy to get degrees hahahaha

really huh im cheap.. guess i'm cheap when i volunteer my time at a local shelter to help homeless and drug addicts... hmm

guess i'm also cheap for volunteering time at a local church... yup
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10544 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 6:04 pm
lmfao yup. call me cheap cus you were too lazy to get a uni degree. i love it when ppl who wanna defend mandatory tipping as normal always say "but tipping helps mothers and is the whole reason why ppl become servers". lmfao, cry me a river booohooo. these ppl honestly have no shame. they try to boomerang the their laziness back onn others cus they were too stupid/lazy to get degrees hahahaha

really huh im cheap.. guess i'm cheap when i volunteer my time at a local shelter to help homeless and drug addicts... hmm

Can’t argue with the man

I only has my grade 10
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7104 posts
3294 upvotes
Kootenays
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 6:04 pm

You've obviously never worked as a server. If you had, you would realize that's it's not possible to do it if you're "stupid/lazy". It's one of the toughest jobs both physically and mentally that a person can do well.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7452 posts
1708 upvotes
Mississauga
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 6:30 pm
What happens if you don't tip?
I just can't imagine leaving NO tip... Even with terrible service I'll leave an extremely low tip. And I'm talking horrible... Where the server had a bad attitude, never did anything, and legitly treated you like garbage. And argued with you when they got the order wrong.
What would realistically happen most of the time? Would you get chased out of the store or yelled at? Would any server actually do that?
Does anyone here work as a server? What happens when you get paid in EXACT change?
The first time nothing. The second time if the waitress/waiter recognizes you dont eat. lol
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
62 upvotes
smacd wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 10:43 pm
You've obviously never worked as a server. If you had, you would realize that's it's not possible to do it if you're "stupid/lazy". It's one of the toughest jobs both physically and mentally that a person can do well.
ok well great. if you're saying waiters are not lazy thats great, they must be stupid then. i need to work as a server to understand that they are dumb? or at least the ones who believe in mandatory tipping ?

waiters entire mindset is based off of trying to ricochet the blame of working a "dead end " job against the customer. honestly, if the job is dead end its ur own problem. go get a degree and find something better, or become a tradesman
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9888 posts
7177 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:38 am
ok well great. if you're saying waiters are not lazy thats great, they must be stupid then. i need to work as a server to understand that they are dumb? or at least the ones who believe in mandatory tipping ?

waiters entire mindset is based off of trying to ricochet the blame of working a "dead end " job against the customer. honestly, if the job is dead end its ur own problem. go get a degree and find something better, or become a tradesman
Pssst... your “entitlement” is showing :rolleyes:

FYI ... for some folks there truly is NO go get a degree

:facepalm:

The world would be a lot better place if everyone was dirt poor at some point in their lives
Short of that
EVERYONE should do a stint as a Waiter, and another as a Customer Service Rep, followed by time as a Telemarketer
It’s easy to judge the have nots in life as being lazy or dumb
When you’ve always been a have
Talk about dumb & lazy
Nothing so bad as a sighted man or woman who are too blind to see!
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4505 posts
1392 upvotes
Debtario
No need to feel bad for not tipping, price you see is what you should pay. Nobody should be paid less than minimum wage and expecting customers to pick up the slack.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11473 posts
4819 upvotes
Toronto
Oh good, another RFD tipping thread...these always end well.

IBTL.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
17108 posts
678 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Swerny wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:06 am
Oh good, another RFD tipping thread...these always end well.

IBTL.
A yearly tradition. Like TTC complaint threads which compare to HK.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10544 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:58 am
Pssst... your “entitlement” is showing :rolleyes:

FYI ... for some folks there truly is NO go get a degree

The world would be a lot better place if everyone was dirt poor at some point in their lives
Short of that
EVERYONE should do a stint as a Waiter, and another as a Customer Service Rep, followed by time as a Telemarketer
It’s easy to judge the have nots in life as being lazy or dumb
When you’ve always been a have
Talk about dumb & lazy
Nothing so bad as a sighted man or woman who are too blind to see!
agreed.

nothing better than entitled bastards that were born on third base but think they hit a triple looking down on the rest of us commoners.

I worked a few shit jobs after uni (as well as paper routes as a child) and one thing they taught me was the value of hard work.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao