Off Topic

What happens if you don't tip?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:

Poll: what happens if you don't tip? AT ALL.

• Total votes: 87. You have voted on this poll.
1. They provide you terrible service if they see you there again

32%
2. They politely hold back their eff yous

38%
3. They say something directly to you

15%
4. other explain

15%
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1604 posts
295 upvotes
Ontario
starchoice wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 1:19 pm
Did it work? Did you pay her?
Nope. I felt bad but the ladies I was with told her off for asking and being such a bad server.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6490 posts
2587 upvotes
Kootenays
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:38 am
ok well great. if you're saying waiters are not lazy thats great, they must be stupid then.
3 or 4 of the servers that I worked with in the 80's are now corporate lawyers. One is a psychiatrist. One is in corporate finance. Many are prominent sales representatives for resorts, including one who was head of sales for Whistler/Blackcomb for many years. At least 5 have gone on to manage hotels. Two are regional vice presidents in the chain we worked for. Many have gone on to own or manage other service related businesses. My wife, who also was a server, and I have owned our own small resort, which we started from scratch, for 26 years. We were and are, far from stupid.

In Europe, the service industry is looked at as a true profession, something that isn't done in North America. It's a shame, because it can be very rewarding, both personally and financially. I've served Prince Philip, King Hussein of Jordan, Queen Margrethe of Denmark, Joe Montana, Boz Scaggs, and many other very interesting people. It can be a real pleasure to come away from an evening knowing you're really made a difference in someone's holiday.

Oh...and by the way, Genius...the little red lines under the words in your posts indicate spelling mistakes. When you post them in a public forum without correcting them, it makes you look lazy/stupid.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3354 posts
910 upvotes
Parry Sound
I definitely don't agree with the guy trying to put down the waiters/waitresses. You're just passing the blame on to the wrong people, just like that one guy in this thread who tries to blame and punish the customers for not tipping him enough.

The problem is mandatory/compulsary tipping or gratiuity which, again, does nothing but subsidize employee wages for shitty employers who are too cheap to pay a true minimum wage.

Wait staff, bartenders, etc get a much lower minimum wage because the government and private sector have decided it's okay for customers to subsidize the rest of thier wages via mandatory tipping.

And again, I sound like a broken record, but you do NOT deserve a tip for simply doing your job. Mandatory tipping is nothing but a scam.

Stop blaming the customers and go after the one who isn't paying you a decent wage to begin with. The scam will not go away if we continue to support it and continue to blame eachother instead of the ones who are really profiting from this scam.

This whole situation reminds me of that saying "the news is just rich people paying rich people to tell middle class people to blame the poor"

Customers and wait staff are blaming eachother when the problem has nothing to do with either of them. I've had a delivery driver complain for 5 minutes that he has to pay for his own gas and doesn't get enough money for the work he does... and he was bitching about customers not giving him enough tips.... as if you having a shitty employer is the customers fault.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Jan 24, 2018
216 posts
41 upvotes
smacd wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:05 pm
3 or 4 of the servers that I worked with in the 80's are now corporate lawyers. One is a psychiatrist. One is in corporate finance. Many are prominent sales representatives for resorts, including one who was head of sales for Whistler/Blackcomb for many years. At least 5 have gone on to manage hotels. Two are regional vice presidents in the chain we worked for. Many have gone on to own or manage other service related businesses. My wife, who also was a server, and I have owned our own small resort, which we started from scratch, for 26 years. We were and are, far from stupid.

In Europe, the service industry is looked at as a true profession, something that isn't done in North America. It's a shame, because it can be very rewarding, both personally and financially. I've served Prince Philip, King Hussein of Jordan, Queen Margrethe of Denmark, Joe Montana, Boz Scaggs, and many other very interesting people. It can be a real pleasure to come away from an evening knowing you're really made a difference in someone's holiday.

Oh...and by the way, Genius...the little red lines under the words in your posts indicate spelling mistakes. When you post them in a public forum without correcting them, it makes you look lazy/stupid.
im not here writing a term a paper, i dont give a rats ass about my spelling on an online forunm

yeah, i'm sure you've served king hussein of jordan and prince philip. i can play this game too so here we go...

my uncle is michael jordan, i once beat barry bonds at baseball. I was also the real inventor of apple not woz or steve. my other uncle is elon musk. Oh yeah, did i mention that i am also the brother of jack ma? oh yeah and also i own cnn and 3 babseball teams in the mlb plus i own 5 teams in the nhl and 2 in the nba.

Sure you are far from stupid, you expect ppl to give mandatory tips to you even if it is forbidden in their religion. LMFAO. and you expect everyone to tip you for a job that you're supposed to do. we're not in europe so why you talking about europe for when we are here in canada? lets talk about isis roots around europe too while we're at it

If i could have it my way i would completely across the boards ban tipping indefinitely. as i said, ppl like you are text book egs of why i will never tip, have never tipped
Jan 24, 2018
216 posts
41 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:58 am
Pssst... your “entitlement” is showing :rolleyes:

FYI ... for some folks there truly is NO go get a degree

:facepalm:

The world would be a lot better place if everyone was dirt poor at some point in their lives
Short of that
EVERYONE should do a stint as a Waiter, and another as a Customer Service Rep, followed by time as a Telemarketer
It’s easy to judge the have nots in life as being lazy or dumb
When you’ve always been a have
Talk about dumb & lazy
Nothing so bad as a sighted man or woman who are too blind to see!
lmfao listen to this kid

he's calling me "entitled" LOL. how do you know where i grew up ? and who told u i wasn't dirt poor ? i maybe still dirt poor too
servers are a joke. calling people "cheap" cus they dont wanna forcefully be forced to tip. go cry / whine to yourself for not getting a proper degree and getting a better job
Jan 24, 2018
216 posts
41 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 12:45 pm
agreed.

nothing better than entitled bastards that were born on third base but think they hit a triple looking down on the rest of us commoners.

I worked a few shit jobs after uni (as well as paper routes as a child) and one thing they taught me was the value of hard work.
reoprted your post for the "bastard" comment. you're a commoner huh. lmfao. i was probably born more "poor" than anyone in this thread
Jan 24, 2018
216 posts
41 upvotes
i love how the kids on this thread are calling me entitled cus im against tipping and think servers should cry to themselves and bosses instead of getting upset at customers when it was themselves who took that job as opposed to getting a real degree

i said it in a previous comment i say again i was probably born poorer than the majority of ppl in this thread. entitled is what u are if u believe in mandatory tipping just for doing ur job
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20598 posts
9613 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 1:00 pm
reoprted your post for the "bastard" comment. you're a commoner huh. lmfao. i was probably born more "poor" than anyone in this thread
You Sir are a gentleman and a scholar

Any tips on good degrees to get?
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Jan 24, 2018
216 posts
41 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 1:27 pm
You Sir are a gentleman and a scholar

Any tips on good degrees to get?
well, before you get a degree you're gonna have to complete your high school diploma

once you're done that then come back here and we'll talk
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1291 posts
904 upvotes
I always thought tipping was based on the size of the rack :O Face With Tears Of Joy

It has been proven that bigger racks tend to get more tips.
The first person you should love, is yourself. Otherwise you are asking others to do something that you refuse to do yourself.
Feb 18, 2012
322 posts
159 upvotes
Aurora
What's up with all these non-service-based businesses asking for tip (as in the interac machine asking for a tip)?

E.g. Domino's Pizza when you go in to ORDER AT THE CASHIER...or any bubble tea place where again you just go in and ORDER AT THE CASHIER

Also, do you tip when picking up takeout?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1291 posts
904 upvotes
In one restaurant the guy was insulted because I didn't tip when I picked up my order. The idiots working there wanted to unionized so the owner closed the restaurant and open a new one about 50 km away.
The first person you should love, is yourself. Otherwise you are asking others to do something that you refuse to do yourself.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20598 posts
9613 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 2:33 pm
well, before you get a degree you're gonna have to complete your high school diploma

once you're done that then come back here and we'll talk
Thanks.

Gonna work on my grade 11s sometime this year or maybe next.

Thanks in advance for the scholarly advice.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
1901 posts
251 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 4:32 pm
Thanks.

Gonna work on my grade 11s sometime this year or maybe next.

Thanks in advance for the scholarly advice.
Hey, don't go throwin that spiffy grade 11 edumacation around here boy.... We ain't take kindly to knowitalls.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20598 posts
9613 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 5:02 pm
Hey, don't go throwin that spiffy grade 11 edumacation around here boy.... We ain't take kindly to knowitalls.
Wanna say I ain’t gonna stunt once I has my grade eleven papers

But I’s probably gonna stunt