Careers

What happens if you fail out of University?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2007 11:04 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Mar 16, 2007
468 posts

What happens if you fail out of University?

Can I go to another university for a different program -- under what basis do they accept me from, university marks or highschool marks?
18 replies
Dec 12, 2006
98 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
u get debarred from 2 yr then they accept u base on ur highschool marks again... i believe ur old uni record will not b counted.. i m not sure
[OP]
Banned
Mar 16, 2007
468 posts
matay wrote:
May 28th, 2007 9:34 pm
u get debarred from 2 yr then they accept u base on ur highschool marks again... i believe ur old uni record will not b counted.. i m not sure
Damn, I planned on tanking...well we are all kind of tanking :cheesygri :o
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2170 posts
2 upvotes
My roommate from first year failed out of University, now he's working full time at a call centre, I'm one more year from graudation.
Mar 11, 2007
422 posts
JoKeRr wrote:
May 28th, 2007 10:05 pm
My roommate from first year failed out of University, now he's working full time at a call centre, I'm one more year from graudation.
How's this add any value to the discussion ??
Banned
Mar 11, 2005
1767 posts
Toronto, Ontario
matay wrote:
May 28th, 2007 9:34 pm
If you wish to apply to the same university,i know for sure you can apply for REINSTATEMENT the following semester, in regards to another university I do not believe it's 2 years...

and yes comparing that your friend works in a call center now after failing out and you are 1 year away from graduation doesnt add to the conversation, just makes you seem like a prick, maybe thats why your a "joker"...
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1514 posts
27 upvotes
or you can just go to a college and get a diploma.
i'm guessing since u failed out of the first year of Univ...you going to another one and trying again might end up with the same result.
SPOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!!...
Jan 30, 2004
117 posts
I applied to another university and they request a transcript from your previous university and believe me, they do look. After working a few crappy jobs for a while, when I finally decided to go back to university, made me realize I rather be in school than work.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14656 posts
1457 upvotes
Akash wrote:
May 28th, 2007 9:16 pm
Can I go to another university for a different program -- under what basis do they accept me from, university marks or highschool marks?
What happens depends on your program. Sometimes they put on probation, other times they kick you out of the program - temporarily or permanently.

If you get kicked out of the school, you can apply to another school - or just sit it out (I would apply for another school - why waste your time). Another alternative is to apply to Athabasca University. I believe Athabasca has open addmissions... but their courses are as stringent as any other univeristy. Some students apply to Athabasca temporarily and get a couple credits which they use to reapply for a new program.

If you're not doing so hot in your program, I would consider a transfer ASAP to another program. Any degree is better than no degree - so transfer to a program that you're interested in.

To summarize ... If you fail, there are options, but it's a big headache. So it's best not to get kicked out... and act proactively!
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3099 posts
174 upvotes
Calgary
If you flunk out of University, then I'd assume that means that you were put on academic probation and then didn't meet the minimum criteria for that as well. Once that happens, you are usually asked to leave and in order to get back in you would have to go to college and take courses that you can use to get back into University. It usually will add a year or two to your plans though.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2234 posts
88 upvotes
well if you just failed this year. I would suggest you apply for reinstatment. If that doesn't work out, Mac requires people to stay away for a year before they are allowed to apply again. I dont know about other schools though.
Oct 15, 2005
810 posts
4 upvotes
universities usually put you on academic probation or they force you to take a year off and come back. I think it is rare to see someone really get kicked out...but it happens. I only know one person that has got kicked out but he later applied and got accepted to York
Nov 14, 2003
67 posts
congrats on choosing indy @ uoft! anyway, to fail out of uoft engr you have to have gotten an average <45% in the first semester. for even that though you just get the status of "repeat probation" and have to leave the university for a minimum 20months, but can reapply. 45-55% average you just go into the T-Program (or withdraw for 8months). 55-65% you end up on probation, but proceed as is with certain things. for first sem, aim for the >60% average. in second sem, there are similar cases where you just have to leave the university for about 8months.

if you really think that you may be getting the <45% average in first sem (for whatever reason), but really like UofT engineering and feel that you still want to do it, you can withdraw early (they give you a deadline) before marks are recorded and reapply for the following year. you will have to restart from first year and will graduate a year later though. there are no guarantees with readmission so you should apply to backup schools in case too. if you drop out before the deadline, you wont have a university transcript so they wont see how bad you may have done and will be admitted based on high school marks. my bf started out in EE and wasnt feeling it, but liked indy. instead of trying to finish first year in EE (then try to switch), he withdrew and reapplied. he got his offer the other day and should be in indy with you after he switches out of EE (readmitted into EE) :) .
Dec 25, 2003
658 posts
8 upvotes
Calgary
Akash wrote:
May 28th, 2007 9:55 pm
Damn, I planned on tanking...well we are all kind of tanking :cheesygri :o
Well don't tell your parents that, hopefully you are paying for your tuition or have a scholarship.

Most kids these days, don't care about school since their parents pay for them. For me, I had to pay for my education and I knew I had to work hard since it was my hard earned money.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
quite simple, you either transfer out to another uni or drop to college. Or become a homeless person or work low wage job.

Other than that, with good timing being the right place and right time...you could become the next bill gates or michael dell.
× < >