Automotive

what happens if you leave your car headlights on?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2011 11:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 20, 2010
72 posts
1 upvote
Brampton

what happens if you leave your car headlights on?

i left the headlights on for 6 hours...i'm worried, what will that do to my car? by the way, i have a 1998 honda accord.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3268 posts
34 upvotes
might as well buy a new car......
it's a goner...

considerate it a lesson learned.
The RFD Doctrine -
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
UrbanPoet: Automatic 1-Star thread starter.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Oct 18, 2010
456 posts
37 upvotes
You just need a boost.

How old is your battery?

You may have killed the battery is all.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2010
72 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
shakermaker wrote:
Mar 10th, 2011 11:04 pm
You just need a boost.

How old is your battery?

You may have killed the battery is all.

i'm not sure, my dad takes care of the car...lol does that mean i have to buy a new one or just recharge it? sorry, i don't know anything about cars..i'm a girl! lol
Oct 18, 2010
456 posts
37 upvotes
It depends, the battery could be as old as 10 years. If you dont know how old it is on a car that is that old you should probably just have it replaced anyway. How long has he/you owned the car? You should be able to get it replaced for anywhere from $75 - $150.

Just call around local shops and get a quotes.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2010
72 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
shakermaker wrote:
Mar 10th, 2011 11:19 pm
It depends, the battery could be as old as 10 years. If you dont know how old it is on a car that is that old you should probably just have it replaced anyway. How long has he/you owned the car? You should be able to get it replaced for anywhere from $75 - $150.

Just call around local shops and get a quotes.

we've had it for about 7 years...thanks for the info, i'm glad to hear that the battery isn't too expensive!
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
jma2353 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2011 11:05 pm
i'm not sure, my dad takes care of the car...lol does that mean i have to buy a new one or just recharge it? sorry, i don't know anything about cars..i'm a girl! lol

just start it up and go for a 30 mins drive to charge up the battery.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Oct 26, 2009
540 posts
12 upvotes
What he said ^

Does the car even start? If it does, then just drive around to charge it back up. If the batt is as old as the car, then it isn't a bad idea to get it replaced.
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
jma2353 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2011 10:59 pm
i left the headlights on for 6 hours...i'm worried, what will that do to my car? by the way, i have a 1998 honda accord.

Nothing to a car but your battery is likely 80% depleted. This will definitely reduce battery life (unless you have a deep cycle battery which is unlikely) but if it is new recharge it ASAP and it will likely work. If it is old replace it as it won't hold charge well.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2010
72 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
yeah, it started, thank god...then i drove it for about 15 minutes, mostly on the highway, so it should be fine right? and i'm not sure but i think the battery was replaced a year ago.
Oct 18, 2010
456 posts
37 upvotes
jma2353 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2011 11:37 pm
yeah, it started, thank god...then i drove it for about 15 minutes, mostly on the highway, so it should be fine right? and i'm not sure but i think the battery was replaced a year ago.

If its a 1 - 3 year old battery and the car starts right now, you're be back in business.

Not to worry.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4884 posts
821 upvotes
BC
To avoid this happening again (as it does cause some irreversible damage to your battery), consider fitting one of these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062397

Here's how to install it in a 5-min. job: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=290569

As there was enough juice left in your battery to energize the starter motor, probably no harm in running the car to recharge the battery.
But as a general rule, when a battery is severely discharged a battery charger should be used to bring it back up - not the alternator.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2010
72 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
macnut wrote:
Mar 11th, 2011 1:34 am
To avoid this happening again (as it does cause some irreversible damage to your battery), consider fitting one of these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062397

Here's how to install it in a 5-min. job: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=290569

As there was enough juice left in your battery to energize the starter motor, probably no harm in running the car to recharge the battery.
But as a general rule, when a battery is severely discharged a battery charger should be used to bring it back up - not the alternator.

thanks...its only 3.50, so it's probably something i'll consider doing :)
Mar 24, 2009
385 posts
26 upvotes
jma2353 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2011 11:05 pm
If my wife read this last part she would have hunted you down and punched you in the face.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
My Civic keeps beeping like crazy.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
× < >