Off Topic

what happens when a package gets delivered at an apartment?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2012 11:08 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Dec 24, 2011
179 posts
8 upvotes
TORONTO

what happens when a package gets delivered at an apartment?

i live in a house right now but i am moving soon and it will be in an apartment, how do packages get delivered? do they ring my buzzer and i rush down to catch the postman before he leaves (like how i do it in a house)? what if the package doesn't require a siganture and all he has to do is leave it at the apartment? the package won't fit in the mailbox so does he leave it on the floor where anyone can take it? how does it work in an apartment building?
retteas
17 replies
Feb 6, 2008
998 posts
33 upvotes
Regular mail by canada post, they're going to buzz you and you have to come down and get it. Everything else, xpresspost, fedex, ups, they'll come to your apartment's door.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14339 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
X820 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2012 8:29 pm
Everything else, xpresspost, fedex, ups, they'll come to your apartment's door.
Or they'll just leave it in the front lobby...
Feb 6, 2008
998 posts
33 upvotes
For condominiums yes, not sure if apartments here have concierge. Mine sure don't, but that's in windsor.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Or they'll just leave a note telling you to come and get it from their depot. I've had to do this even in cases where a signature wasn't required. Not a big deal if it's Canada Post (unless your local post office is a long way away), but I've had to travel an hour to get to a Purolator depot.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
X820 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2012 8:40 pm
For condominiums yes, not sure if apartments here have concierge. Mine sure don't, but that's in windsor.
No, sometimes they just leave it even if there isn't a concierge. i.e. just on the ground near where the mailboxes are.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
43217 posts
3038 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote:
Jul 15th, 2012 8:42 pm
No, sometimes they just leave it even if there isn't a concierge. i.e. just on the ground near where the mailboxes are.
Really? :facepalm:
I would think they would leave a pick up card on your door or In your mailbox. Doubt CP Is that bad to leave stuff In plain sight of others..
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
114 upvotes
I rented many apartments and now I rent luxury condo so I'll tell you.

If the package can fit in your mailbox, or through your mail slot if you have that instead of mailbox, then they'll just put it there.

If it's a big package, UPS will usually call you at your contact number telling you when they're 15 mins away so you can come meet them, if you won't meet them then they'll drop it off at the nearest UPS store and you have to go pick it up. If it's being delievered by Canada Post, then they'll knock on your door or ring your buzzer and if you not home, they'll leave a slip in your mailbox (or sometimes stick it to your door) telling you where to pick it up (usually the nearest post office).

If there's a concierge (only condos or very high end apartments) then the concierge will take it and hold it and notify you to come pick it up at your convenience.

My advice is to just get all your packages delivered to your work instead of home, if your boss says it's ok.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
114 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Jul 15th, 2012 8:42 pm
I have had hundreds of packages delivered in my life, and never once they left it on the ground. If they did that, someone could steal it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7106 posts
538 upvotes
Depends on the apartment building and how it's designed. This scenario assumes you're not at home to answer the door/buzzer.

When I lived in an apartment complex last year, we had private mailboxes that were located behind the locked lobby doors. Canada Post had the keys to our lobby and the mailboxes so they would come in and put in the package or a note directly into your mailbox.

UPS, Purolator, FedEx and other couriers do not have access to the inner lobby where the mailboxes are so they'll try the buzzer. If there is no answer, typically they'll either try again the next day or they'll leave the sticky note asking you to pickup the package on the front lobby door (I typically saw half a dozen sticky notes on our apartment lobby doors every day so I checked to see if there was one that was for me :lol :) .

I've personally only ever had one issue where the slip was taken (since UPS claimed they put the note so I assumed it was taken) so I'd advise either way to check your tracking and call your courier to make sure they attempted delivery and if they did, that it's ready to pickup somewhere if they can't catch you.

Aside from that, never had any courier leave a package on the lobby doorstep. Only Canada Post ever left packages and that's only if the package fit into the small mailbox.

I would also advise to have the package delivered somewhere else (work or directly to a store/pickup location) to avoid hassle if you're uncertain.
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
They'll put that note thing on your door/down below to come pick it up at their depot if you don't answer your door.

Otherwise they'll usually ring the buzzer.

If your apartment has one of those mailboxes for everyone and there is someone at the desk downstairs, then the post office person usually leaves it there.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Xiaohaibao wrote:
Jul 15th, 2012 8:58 pm
I have had hundreds of packages delivered in my life, and never once they left it on the ground. If they did that, someone could steal it.
I've had it happen to me once in an apartment building, was just left in the corner underneath the mail slots. I had it happen a couple of times when I was renting a basement in university, packages just left outside the door. But yes I don't think it's common, I guess you have to be unlucky (or lucky if no one takes it).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7106 posts
538 upvotes
I've had packages not requiring a signature left on my doorstep at my parents' house quite often if it's not a big box(had a box of RAM and an HDD left on the porch). Never stolen anything mind you, but I've had the practice done in my area.
Feb 6, 2008
998 posts
33 upvotes
I've had hundreds of packages but none of them are left it on the ground also. If it's can't fit within the mailbox, then they will buzz you, if you're not home, they will leave you a delivery notice so that you can pick it up at the nearest post office. This is for regular mail.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
2949 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
at my apartment, Canada post will come knock on my door. They have their own key to the building, seeing as with 101 apartments, there is at least 2-3 packages from CP everyday. If im not home (which is always since they deliver during work hours, then they slip a form in my mail slot to pick it up at a post office near my house. This goes for ANYTHING from canada post.

If its a fedex, ups or other delivery, The guy will buzz the manager and get into the building to knock on my door. If im not home, they will leave a slip in my mailslot to pick up from the fedex office (which is all the way at the airport and the only facility, so it sucks) or the ups office closest me (theres ups offices everywhere). Both ups and fedex will attempt re-delivery the next day, however if they fail again, they ship back to sender, so its more tricky with them. If these guys cannot buzz the manager as she is away from her desk, and cant buzz me as im not home, they will post a note on the front glass of my apartment.
× < >