Computers & Electronics

This is what happens when you run over a Macbook Pro (Pics Included)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2007 7:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
2931 posts
50 upvotes
Vernon

This is what happens when you run over a Macbook Pro (Pics Included)

If you are curious to see what happens when you run over a Macbook Pro, well I guess today is your lucky day (and certainly not mine...)

So what happened was the laptop was in one of those Crumpler Skivvy laptop bags, it was being loaded along with a bunch of other stuff into the trunk, guess what got left "behind"... I just bought the laptop a few weeks ago too!

But there is one piece of GOOD news! (believe it or not)

The laptop STILL WORKS! I'd say that not too many laptops can handle getting run over and still manage to function (although with a broken screen). Apple certainly did a good job on designing it I must say.

The Superdrive and screen are both gone, Apple wants $900 to repair it (even though I did buy that $300 warranty upgrade called "AppleCare"). They aren't going to help me out with any part of the bill, even though I know the screen and casing can't possibly be worth even $600 + Labor, Looks like I am turning to ebay to get all the parts.

Even though it will be pretty costly to repair, My laptops in the future will probably be Apple laptops and maybe a few Thinkpads.

Edit: Seems like i've been dugg http://digg.com/apple/This_is_what_happ ... k_Pro_PICS

Also, if anyone at Apple is reading this, A new Santa Rosa Macbook Pro would look really nice to compare the damage to ;)

Images now hosted on Flickr

The laptops works great as a desktop, still kinda works as a laptop, but you can't see parts of the screen.
64 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1164 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
wow.. sorry about your luck.. perhaps you can find some parts on ebay..
OVERCLOCK OR DIE!!!!!!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
2931 posts
50 upvotes
Vernon
crazdefool wrote:
Aug 14th, 2007 9:34 pm
wow.. sorry about your luck.. perhaps you can find some parts on ebay..
Yeah, I am eyeing some parts on ebay, I'll end up fixing it myself probably, but it'll cost a bit unfortunately...
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
3903 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
Hahaha wow.
Good thing it wasn't on the other side where the hard drive is :P
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
2931 posts
50 upvotes
Vernon
romsan04 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2007 1:00 am
thats sucks, next time get ThinkPad :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbXPQG6g ... ed&search=
Hehe, I knew someone would make that comment. This is my second Mac laptop after being an avid Thinkpad user (pretty much the only laptops I ever owned. Still I am quite surprised at how well it faired after being run over.
Sep 18, 2004
373 posts
Toronto ON
Pretty tough computer! I have a funny feeling your Macbook Pro is about to become famous after someone submits this thread to Digg :)

edit: too late :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
2931 posts
50 upvotes
Vernon
xenyz wrote:
Aug 15th, 2007 2:40 am
Pretty tough computer! I have a funny feeling your Macbook Pro is about to become famous after someone submits this thread to Digg :)

edit: too late :)
Hehe, I was gonna submit it to digg, but someone beat me to it. Some guy/girl named LemonSnaps
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38137 posts
930 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's not so bad OP, at least it works :P Excluding the Thinkpad, I can't think of any other laptop that can withstand something like this and still work - definately not an Acer, HP, Dell consumer.. MAYBE Sony, who knows.

Just another post to prove that Apple's been improving quality over the years.

Good luck fixing the screen OP - not trying to be sarcastic - it shouldn't be too hard, you just unmount/mount it and plug it into the ribbon cable, if it's build the same way as an old Thinkpad I disassembled.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7007 posts
68 upvotes
Nepean
Jon Lai wrote:
Aug 15th, 2007 8:22 am
It's not so bad OP, at least it works :P Excluding the Thinkpad, I can't think of any other laptop that can withstand something like this and still work - definately not an Acer, HP, Dell consumer.. MAYBE Sony, who knows.

Just another post to prove that Apple's been improving quality over the years.

Good luck fixing the screen OP - not trying to be sarcastic - it shouldn't be too hard, you just unmount/mount it and plug it into the ribbon cable, if it's build the same way as an old Thinkpad I disassembled.
Panasonic Tough Book?
Jul 2, 2006
960 posts
5 upvotes
Surprised that it still works. And OP, I admire you for seeing the bright side of it! ;) If it was me, I'd go absolutely berzerk! Hmm.. maybe we can all try and make OP famous on YouTube or something. :D
Jun 6, 2007
284 posts
Nice it still works! I think it's remarkable that you are so optimistic, if it was me, I be kicking myself, lol :lol:
Jan 7, 2004
487 posts
1 upvote
T.Dot
Most laptops can take that, the screen will obviously break. But the base is pretty strong with everything so compact, except an acer, those things cave in just by pushing on it. (Goto bestbuy and take one finger and push down on the flat part and on the keyboard, and see how much it gives.

There was a documentary showing how a modern day laptop can stop a bullet.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2504 posts
125 upvotes
Time to get a Panasonic Toughbook then.

those suckers can take abeating and still work.. screen included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8wvDan2jBQ

sure they are more expensive but not really compared to a macbook pro especially when you seem to be unlucky.
× < >