Personal Finance

What happens when you scan a lottery ticket and you win big?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2013 9:16 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1790 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto

What happens when you scan a lottery ticket and you win big?

Can someone explain to me how this whole process of winning a large amount in OLG lottery works? If I understand it correctly, if I am checking a ticket (say LottoMax) and I have won 1 million dollar, the terminal shuts down and OLG contacts the store right away?

Is this done in the background? or will there be some loud noise generated where others will notice? I don't know if I want people around me knowing that I have just won a big amount. Heck, depending on which store I am checking my ticket at, don't know if I want the store staff to know either.

And why does the terminal shut down? how does that work?

Just to be clear: I am only asking about checking a ticket that is a winner of a large amount. I am not asking about how to claim the prize from OLG.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
2603 posts
325 upvotes
Mississauga
This is confirmed. I have a friend that won the 1 Million last year at a Rabba in Mississauga. He checked the numbers on his PC Sunday morning and saw that he had won. Went to the Rabba to process the ticket. The machine shut down and a few seconds later a rep from the OLG called the Rabba and asked to have the phone handed to the ticket owner. That's when they congratulated him and told him what would happen next.

The terminal shuts down to prevent tampering.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1790 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
Tig wrote:
Nov 4th, 2013 10:26 am
This is confirmed. I have a friend that won the 1 Million last year at a Rabba in Mississauga. He checked the numbers on his PC Sunday morning and saw that he had won. Went to the Rabba to process the ticket. The machine shut down and a few seconds later a rep from the OLG called the Rabba and asked to have the phone handed to the ticket owner. That's when they congratulated him and told him what would happen next.

The terminal shuts down to prevent tampering.

Thank you! Ok so the store owner will know for sure.

But I am assuming if you are in a big store (Metro or Fortinos) and the scanner is far from the lottery kiosk, not sure if the clerk will be able to find the person that just scanned a winning ticket.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20228 posts
1496 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2013 10:40 am
Thank you! Ok so the store owner will know for sure.

But I am assuming if you are in a big store (Metro or Fortinos) and the scanner is far from the lottery kiosk, not sure if the clerk will be able to find the person that just scanned a winning ticket.
It plays the big win music. Keep in mind this is referring to the self-checkers.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4383 posts
685 upvotes
Mississauga
make sure you sign the ticket as well
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2922 posts
270 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2013 10:40 am

Perhaps not. In any case, you'd still have to contact OLG to process the winning ticket, though. If you check your numbers beforehand and know you won, no reason to even go in to a retail store.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3108 posts
490 upvotes
CorSter wrote:
Nov 4th, 2013 11:45 am
Perhaps not. In any case, you'd still have to contact OLG to process the winning ticket, though. If you check your numbers beforehand and know you won, no reason to even go in to a retail store.
They also ask a lot of questions about where, when you bought the ticket, with whom, etc.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20228 posts
1496 upvotes
tkl wrote:
Nov 4th, 2013 11:45 pm
They also ask a lot of questions about where, when you bought the ticket, with whom, etc.
They are confirming the data in DART and ensuring no other claims will be made. DART is pretty amazing- everything about the ticket is available to pull.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
114 upvotes
I win $5 every single week by NOT playing lotto max.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
1624 posts
40 upvotes
now what really happens is: you wake up from your dream...
mere rfd mortals don't win $1: we don't gamble, we're smart about investing our toonies
For sale threads:
Coins/
Cloth/
Phones/
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
260 upvotes
Xiaohaibao wrote:
Nov 5th, 2013 8:07 am
I forgot to check a ticket from a big win a few months ago and I won around $120 from a $5 ticket. However in all seriousness i'm probably around I won what i've paid in the last couple years.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2254 posts
219 upvotes
Free wheel of fortune lottery over at freebie section. I won a big instant prize last time during megadice. Machine shut down and i spoke with olg to hold the prize in my name.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2018 posts
164 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Xiaohaibao wrote:
Nov 5th, 2013 8:07 am
Winning =/= saving money
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
3694 posts
842 upvotes
Winnipeg
Anything over 5 k u have to mail in your ticket...lol. Or go down to the lotteries office
× < >