Home & Garden

what is that "hose/pipe like" stuff coming out of the roof called?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2010 1:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
240 posts
3 upvotes
GTA

what is that "hose/pipe like" stuff coming out of the roof called?

per my title, was wondering what that "pipe like" stuff that comes out of the roof is called? normally, i only see one per detached house. as well, what are these pipes made of? rubber or plastic? i also noticed that it has a base which covers the roof and shingles are on top of this base material. what's the base material made of? rubber or metal?

FWIW, to make it easier to those willing to help me figure it out, im 100% sure it's not an exhaust vent since the exhaust consists of several in the roof and they are not protruding through the roof and have covers, unlike the "pipe" that im wondering about. and no, not a chimney either.

thanks a bunch!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
3821 posts
242 upvotes
Calgary
You mean like a plumbing vent stack?

Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3800 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa
Yup, you're describing a plumbing vent thru roof. Generally the pipe itself is 3" diameter ABS plastic, with a rubber boot at the base that's integrated into the roofing.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
240 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
yes, cough and yes mcgyver. that's exactly what i was looking for. thanks

just a quick ff up question on the "rubber" boot base. you mentioned it's integrated into the roofing - what is there to protect the boot underneath? are there shingles underneath that "rubber boot" normally? or is the "rubber boot" directly on top of plywood roofing?

im asking bec our "rubber boot base" seems not to be flush on the roof (cough's pictures are flush on the roof - eg the sheet metal part thats beside the shingles). however, in our roof's case, the "rubber boot" apron (eg. the square thing on the base) seems to have a layer of shingle underneath - could be that the rubber boot vent was installed after the shingles were put?. hence i wonder if a nail got ripped off. or the rubber just warped through the warm/freeze cycle. the boot itself (Eg. the roound thing-y seals the pipe around properly - no cracks or holes)

is this concerning enough that i ask someone to nail this rubber piece into place? {the way to describe our rubber boot base (Eg. the straight base not the boot itself) is to imagine it's nailed on both edges but it warps up a teeny bit in the middle, something like a curve that's platykurtic (eg. statistics curve) :) } - i read it could still expand, so maybe it shrunk this winter?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
As long as it is installed in an overlapping pattern as in the picture, you're fine. The top of the boot would be undeneath the shingles and the bottom of the boot would be on top of the shingles. It is usually nailed down at the 4 corners, and any exposed nails (the 2 bottom nails) would have some caulking over it. It is done as such so water flowing from top to bottom can't find its way underneath the shingles or boot.
This space for rent
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
240 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Mr Nobody wrote:
Dec 13th, 2010 10:40 am
As long as it is installed in an overlapping pattern as in the picture, you're fine. The top of the boot would be undeneath the shingles and the bottom of the boot would be on top of the shingles. It is usually nailed down at the 4 corners, and any exposed nails (the 2 bottom nails) would have some caulking over it. It is done as such so water flowing from top to bottom can't find its way underneath the shingles or boot.

thanks mr nobody. indeed, the top of the boot is underneath the shingle and bottom of the boot is on top - the bottom though is not flush with the roof.

i was more worried about water "backflowing" through the bottom of the boot "crevice" and up when wind blows hard. however, i suspect it wont be a problem given there's shingles underneath even if the bottom of the boot is not flush.

i had asked another member to help me out and sent him a few pics via pm (dont know how to attach pics here). he did point out that the boot might have been "sucked into" the house as there seem to be ripples in the boot itself (not just the base). he was kind enough to offer to take a peek into it as he's actually working on our house so will wait for his further response. wonders of rfd! :)
× < >