Computers & Electronics

What hp software should i take off startup?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2008 10:52 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3179 posts
121 upvotes
Adelaide

What hp software should i take off startup?

Just wanting to optimize this hp laptop I just bought so was hoping to get rid of alot of the hp startup software. When i'm looking them up though all I seem to get is that they are safe and its up to me if I want to take them off. so was just wondering if anyone knows which ones I should probably keep, and which ones to get rid of.

HP QuickPlay Qpservice.exe
HP Quick Launch Buttons QlbCtrl.exe
HP QuickTouch On Screen Display HPKBDAPP.exe
HpqSRmon Application hpqSRmon.exe
HP Health Check Scheduler HPHC_Scheduler.exe
hpwuSchd Application HPWuSchd2.exe
HP Wireless Assistant HPWAMain.exe

IDT Audio sttray.exe

thanks for any help
8 replies
Oct 24, 2003
797 posts
15 upvotes
only one that looks like it would do something usefull would be the Wireless Assistant one

all other ones look like crappy stuff
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5833 posts
232 upvotes
None of them seem to do anything useful except hog resources.

I recently did the same thing to my Dell laptop and killed off quite a few Dell apps.
Jan 21, 2008
737 posts
4 upvotes
The first thing I did when I purchased my Dell XPS laptop was reformat and install the bare minimum. Everything you have listed there is useless and is going to bog down the performance of your machine.

My advice: format the computer and reinstall.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3179 posts
121 upvotes
Adelaide
thanks for the advice. I think I will just cancel all those startup programs and see how the performance is after that. If it still seems slow I may try a reformat. Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
1329 posts
2 upvotes
You may be able to use Windows Defender to disable the startup programs. If everything works, you can then remove them.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
29 upvotes
Tdot
do a clean winXP install if u have 3gb or less ram
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2003
4189 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
I would say, remove whichever one you can live without or the ones that you have no idea about.

Those will be the ones that you can remove from the Startup.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
1338 posts
28 upvotes
It depends of what features you use on the laptop that are provided by HP's software.

If you do not use the QuickPlay media center clone, then you can disable qpservice.exe

If you do not use the quickplay and dvd button on your laptop, then you can disable qlbctrl.exe

If you don't like the on screen volume control when you use the volume slider then you can disable hpkbdapp.exe

HP Wireless Assistant is self-explanatory.

HP Health Check is also self-explanatory.

hpqSRmon.exe and HPWuSchd2.exe can also be safely disabled.

sttray.exe is the logo of the audio card manufacturer sitting in the system tray, you can turn that off because it has no function.

I disabled all of those when I got my HP laptop. :D

Also, make sure you get the latest drivers for your laptop, because it speeds it up a lot. I suggest you go to laptopvideo2go.com and find a suitable driver for your laptop. Also remember to uninstall all the trial crap on your computer that HP installs on it.
× < >