• Oct 16th, 2018 11:38 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1621 posts
213 upvotes
Markham
jimmysack wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 10:36 pm
odd story, but i was at apple yesterday just to check out the repeat released iphones (lol)
Then 2 guys were speaking with the manager in a really worried tone so it kind of got my attn and made me go closer to them to hear and see what was going on... one much older like 60+ and other one around 25-35

They then pull out of a plastic bag what appears to be an iphone they just bought in the box, and their receipt. the clerk continues talking to them and then they hand the box to her and she opens it. and she pulls out a zip lock bag with greyish dark sand in it, wtf?

right away i knew what was going on, poor guy bought the phone just like an hour earlier, took it home and when he opened it.. voila it was sand he purchased for $1,400 or whatever. so he brought his dad (im guessing ?) as a witness in case apple didnt believe him??

this is when i got interested so i really started paying attn to see what apple would do. they called the manager or whatever and she came over and looked at the sand and the receipt and then she assured them they'd get another iphone and she went and brought another one to them and that was that.

i thought it was rather interesting.
I don’t get it. If I get a new iPhone from FIDO, and I have upgraded many times over the past years, they open the box, they load the SIM card, they have me log in and get my stuff off the cloud, they initiate the warranty. I fail to understand why the apple store doesn’t open the box for some type of validation purposes. It’s frigged up.
Jul 20, 2014
608 posts
59 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
In most cases with Apple, the IMEI dont get blacklisted, and if it wasn't attached to carrier already or iclouded they dont do anything.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9964 posts
854 upvotes
don't apple normally open up the phone and help you get SIM in before letting you walk away with it??

something doesn't smell right.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7556 posts
541 upvotes
kingofwale wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 7:08 pm
don't apple normally open up the phone and help you get SIM in before letting you walk away with it??

something doesn't smell right.
No they don’t open up for you on the spot.

Also, if you’re buying it online, you don’t expect an Apple employee to be at your door to open it. It’s all a business risk they take just like many online purchases (not apple) just leave the package outside your door and if you want to scam the company and say you never got it, you can certainly get away with it.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1016 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
I noticed alot of stores opening sealed returns in front of customers to verify infact the product is returned. So easy to shrinkwrap and make it look unopened.
Oct 7, 2018
5 posts
It is very easy to wrap the box again with the help of a hair dryer.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7637 posts
999 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe this was one of the phones that were shipped by courier, and the switch could have taken place anywhere from leaving apple to arriving at the customer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6043 posts
2129 upvotes
ON
daivey wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 9:43 am
im surprised they just replaced the phone just like that.
i wouldn't believe a customer if they did that. I would be like, I don't believe you, you clearly switched it out.... and let them call corporate head office and make a complaint.

i really dont believe that if u bought the phone at apple legit, then it would be in there.
Punctuation and capitalization is the difference between helping your uncle Jack, off a horse, or helping your uncle, jack off a horse.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3230 posts
2147 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 9:43 am
im surprised they just replaced the phone just like that.
i wouldn't believe a customer if they did that. I would be like, I don't believe you, you clearly switched it out.... and let them call corporate head office and make a complaint.

i really dont believe that if u bought the phone at apple legit, then it would be in there.
Happens all the time apparently. Employee theft is a real thing.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7441 posts
3290 upvotes
Toronto
dilligafeh wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:37 pm
Punctuation and capitalization is the difference between helping your uncle Jack, off a horse, or helping your uncle, jack off a horse.
thnx broz 4 da free gramer lession
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7441 posts
3290 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 7:35 pm
iPad from Brampton Walmart

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-buys- ... -1.4131475

i wonder how many people are going to try this trick, in hopes of receiving an additional phone/pad/macbook.

almost worth trying it with the high end laptops, just to see how far you can get. hell, what if I bought a high end computer and just replaced it with a cinder block?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6043 posts
2129 upvotes
ON
daivey wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 9:25 am
thnx broz 4 da free gramer lession
Not as much about grammar as it is for getting your point across. The way I read your sentence, it tells me that you don't believe that the phone would be there,if you bought it at the Apple store.

"i really dont believe that if u bought the phone at apple legit, then it would be in there."

Now if you were to introduce proper punctuation and capitalize correctly ...
" I really don't believe that. If you bought the phone at Apple legit, then it would be there."

Totally different point being conveyed, no ?
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7441 posts
3290 upvotes
Toronto
dilligafeh wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 3:06 pm
Not as much about grammar as it is for getting your point across. The way I read your sentence, it tells me that you don't believe that the phone would be there,if you bought it at the Apple store.

"i really dont believe that if u bought the phone at apple legit, then it would be in there."

Now if you were to introduce proper punctuation and capitalize correctly ...
" I really don't believe that. If you bought the phone at Apple legit, then it would be there."

Totally different point being conveyed, no ?
except that if you read my post in entirety, the context was the later.

you made a post about my grammar, because I missed one comma.

"i really dont believe that, if u bought the phone at apple legit, then it would be in there.""

same shit. same point...
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19435 posts
7833 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
daivey wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 9:26 am
i wonder how many people are going to try this trick, in hopes of receiving an additional phone/pad/macbook.

almost worth trying it with the high end laptops, just to see how far you can get. hell, what if I bought a high end computer and just replaced it with a cinder block?
98.4% of me thinks that man is bullshitting and he now has a free iPad.

Yes I stereotype. Sry.

As an aside, I hope Walmart spends whatever it takes to get to the bottom of what happened and make an example of whoever switched it out.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.