Off Topic Archive

Locked: What if I refused to pay Rogers Bill?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2010 10:25 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 5, 2006
792 posts
2 upvotes
Nikita wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 11:56 am
My question exactly! In fact, my first thought was the OP was more like 12 to ask such a stupid question. 'Old people' KNOW what happens when you don't pay a bill cuz they've been around long enough to know the simple answers in life (and more of the difficult ones than kids as well).

Some people are simply rude, disrespectful and ignorant no matter what their age, as are the above 2 posters. Personally I think I'd rather be old than stupid (or rude, disrespectul or ignorant for that matter).

Yes they can. Anyone you owe money to and don't pay can make a report to the credit bureau, thus ruining your credit.

wat's credit bureau ...a company or a government agency? and how could we make the report? thx
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1258 posts
26 upvotes
Nikita wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 3:57 pm
However, if things have changed and if anyone has a legal source that says only certain entities can make a report on you with the credit rating agencies such as Equifax etc, I'd be interested in seeing it.
It probably depends on whether the company is considered a creditor or not. Rogers may be, since they do pull a credit bureau and have you agree to certain terms beforehand. It may certainly be possible for anyone to force an entry onto your credit record, but I would highly doubt anyone but legit creditors can have an actual affect on your score. It's a tactic for collection agencies to threaten your credit, but, barring a court judgment, I don't think they can actually do that.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1511 posts
15 upvotes
North York
jonnyb wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 5:03 pm
I'll take that bet.

I cancelled my rogers account, but they charged me for an additional year. I refused to pay. Rogers can not only ruin your credit but they will also send it to collections which only makes things a lot worse. I have two columns under my credit report, one for Rogers and one for the collection agency.

In the end though, most lenders or givers of credit don't factor in cell phone companies when making their decision as they tend to screw people over and there is no real way to fight it.

Asides from that blemish my report is perfect, yet my score is pretty low.
classic post... A+ ...

if they charged you for an additional year, was there not any notification of continued service?
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
148 upvotes
a collection agency can't really do anything except phone you all the time and send letters in the mail.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16130 posts
357 upvotes
Etobicoke
st7860 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2008 12:37 pm
a collection agency can't really do anything except phone you all the time and send letters in the mail.
So not true...they can sue your a$$ if their client authorizes them to do so.

Why are so many people so clueless about their rights on this issue??
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
148 upvotes
even if they sue you so what? (in BC anyway) the law does not say you have to tell the collection agency OR small claim court where you work or live _unless_ you get summoned to a PAYMENT HEARING.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16130 posts
357 upvotes
Etobicoke
st7860 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2008 1:19 pm
even if they sue you so what? (in BC anyway) the law does not say you have to tell the collection agency OR small claim court where you work or live _unless_ you get summoned to a PAYMENT HEARING.
...which is very different from your first statement...

...and which is very likely to happen if they DO sue you...they know that. Hell, half the time, the payment hearing is the MOST important part of suing someone. How else are you going to attach assets if you don't know what assets a debtor has??
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1326 posts
48 upvotes
Same thing happened to me about 4-5 years ago. For 3 consecutive months, they were over charging me on my bill and I'd have to constantly call in. On the 4th month, I got fed up and told them I wanted to cancel EVERYTHING with Rogers (internet + 2 cell phones). They asked me why, which I explained. They apologized and gave me a better monthly plan.

I guess it's the same thing as going through retentions, you can just do that.
May 28, 2009
484 posts
2 upvotes
soooooooooooooooo sorry to gravedig this thread but i have a question concerning this topic.

so my step sister has decided not to pay her rogers cellphone bill, what will happen to her phone> do they black list it and you cant use it on the rogers network? its been a couple of months already and i know someone who wants to buy a bold but i dont want them to buy it then they wont be able to use it.

i dont have the phone on me as she is out of the country and cannot test since im using fido.

TIA
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7923 posts
885 upvotes
Toronto
It will ruin your credit, give you a call every day telling you that you havn't payed your bills, etc. They have all your info, but I don't think anything will happen to the phone itself. You should still be able to use the phone.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18624 posts
524 upvotes
Montreal
Ted Rogers will jump out of his grave, reach into your pants and take your wallet, if you don't pay...
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1536 posts
18 upvotes
I didn't pay my bill in 2005 and switched operators. Rogers sent my file to credit bureau. I never bothered to pay either of them and they stopped bugging me but ruined my credit abilities. 2 days ago i got a new letter requesting payment. I wonder how much longer they are going to beg for $150 and how much longer they are going to sit in my credit file?
Aug 10, 2007
389 posts
3 upvotes
Canada
koleso wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 8:27 am
I didn't pay my bill in 2005 and switched operators. Rogers sent my file to credit bureau. I never bothered to pay either of them and they stopped bugging me but ruined my credit abilities. 2 days ago i got a new letter requesting payment. I wonder how much longer they are going to beg for $150 and how much longer they are going to sit in my credit file?
Hmmm oh I don't know maybe until you pay them? Friend of mine had a Rogers unpaid bill since like 2004 or 5 and till this day it was still on his report. He had to pay it off before he could even get a visa from his bank.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2007
1397 posts
31 upvotes
jonnyb wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 5:03 pm
in the end though, most lenders or givers of credit don't factor in cell phone companies when making their decision as they tend to screw people over and there is no real way to fight it.
+1
RFD BST Feedback +59/-0
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
2949 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
just to let everyone know. I worked for a collection agency. They wont touch you if your bill is under $10000. If you dont care about your credit and you owe like $3000, dont pay it. They wont sue you because the legal fees will cost them more. Oh and to stop annoying phone calls, you can change your number (make sure you dont let your number be found through google), or if they still find you, talk to them and lie, say your not who their looking for. If its a machine, listen to it, push 0 or follow the instuctions until you get to talk to some1. explain your not X person and your just some new dude with a cell phone. They will remove you from the dialer, or at least they should, you might have to call a few times to get it done properly
× < >