Shopping Discussion

What if the seller doesn't send you the item?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2019 2:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 29, 2017
72 posts
10 upvotes

What if the seller doesn't send you the item?

I'm planning to buy a couple hundred dollars worth of e-gift cards on RFD BST and Kijiji.

Most sellers only accept Interac e-Transfer but Interac e-Transfer transactions can't be reversed.

If the seller doesn't send you the item after you pay him, do you just lose the money? I don't think cops will bother over a few hundred dollars.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4687 posts
3845 upvotes
redflagcat wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 11:50 pm
I'm planning to buy a couple hundred dollars worth of e-gift cards on RFD BST and Kijiji.

Most sellers only accept Interac e-Transfer but Interac e-Transfer transactions can't be reversed.

If the seller doesn't send you the item after you pay him, do you just lose the money? I don't think cops will bother over a few hundred dollars.
Never send eTransfers for Kijiji.... Always meet in person and pay in cash or eTransfer on the spot.

On RFD, check BST Feedback on the seller you want to buy from. Personally haven't had any issues as I look for people who have been on RFD for at least a few years and have some good feedback. Only thing I would be worried about is account takeovers... Watch out for casual sellers with minimal activity suddenly offering large amounts of gift cards, etc.

And yes, once you send an eTransfer, it's gone. The police aren't going to lift a finger to help you.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10182 posts
2486 upvotes
Markham
If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it.
Selling E Gift card online and taking EMT payment is extremely high risk.

You are right, you are just waste more of your time by trying to report it to police.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28393 posts
1182 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Simple rules for online deals.

ONLY Pay up front to established sellers. 10+ on RFD 100% positive.,

On Kijiji, NEVER.

I do use emt for Kijiji distance deals, but I risk-assess them all & frankly I'm not going >$250. I do plenty of $50-$100 buys up front with shipped deals. My last was a set of rims from Alberta for $250, paid upfront. Can check user profile., are they a est. 2019 account, or 10years account? Chances are they're not scammers if they're using an old profile.

For GC's, categorically deny paying up front. OR ANY PERCENTAGE thereof. Other than say 10%, but even then I wouldn't. Don't get burned.
PayTM - $70
PC OPT: $3953 Ebates: $59.70
100%+ BST & Heatware Est. 2005
Kijiji & FB Marketplace trash are what put a smile on my face each day
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1146 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
Insist you want to meet at the store so the balance can be verified. Problem is, if it's simply a code, could the seller potentially redeem it themselves even after the balance has been verified?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22627 posts
8369 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 9:56 am
10+ on RFD 100% positive.,
You could still easily get exit scammed.
For GC's, categorically deny paying up front. OR ANY PERCENTAGE thereof. Other than say 10%, but even then I wouldn't. Don't get burned.
Yeah... I'd tell you to go to hell.
I'm not giving up my goods until you pay me. What's stopping you from running off with my cards before you give me money?
Nov 18, 2017
205 posts
77 upvotes
I bought 2 things on eBay and after they were delivered, the seller cancelled the order and sent a refund wtf lol.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2017
72 posts
10 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 11:55 pm
The police aren't going to lift a finger to help you.
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 12:01 am
You are right, you are just waste more of your time by trying to report it to police.
Why do the cops not do anything about online frauds despite that they are easily traceable? All e-Transfers and PayPal transactions are linked to bank accounts so they have all the information about the suspects.

The cops are actually encouraging online frauds. What's stopping one from making thousands of dollars a year by running a scam on Kijiji?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5911 posts
2256 upvotes
Alberta
Personally, I gave up on Kijiji because of all the scammers on there. If you buy anything, check the sellers feedback rating first. I never have an problems selling or buying using EMT/IET and I use it for every transaction. I have a 1 BST rating here but a 189 100% rating on another website I'm on all the time. About 12 of them were between $2-3K.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10182 posts
2486 upvotes
Markham
redflagcat wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 8:22 pm
Why do the cops not do anything about online frauds despite that they are easily traceable? All e-Transfers and PayPal transactions are linked to bank accounts so they have all the information about the suspects.

The cops are actually encouraging online frauds. What's stopping one from making thousands of dollars a year by running a scam on Kijiji?
The police have much other duties to do than chasing down people from Internet and one single individual who decide to send money over to stanger on the web.
Unless your loss is $5k and over, then they may look at it.

I got scammed $315 15 years ago and went to a local police station but got laughed at. Learn from the mistake, and mistake make you stronger and smarter.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10182 posts
2486 upvotes
Markham
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 8:39 pm
Personally, I gave up on Kijiji because of all the scammers on there. If you buy anything, check the sellers feedback rating first. I never have an problems selling or buying using EMT/IET and I use it for every transaction. I have a 1 BST rating here but a 189 100% rating on another website I'm on all the time. About 12 of them were between $2-3K.
kijiji is pure local pick up. I would never send or even accept money other than cash in person.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28393 posts
1182 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
death_hawk wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 2:48 pm
...Yeah... I'd tell you to go to hell. ...
and that is precisely the piss poor attitude that all of my RFD traders do NOT share. It's no surprise you have 1 trade amongst the community.

(Hmmm, are you saying that to me, as a random dude on the street? or specifically here on RFD?)

a real RFDer recognizes and values BST trader feedback. Recognizes, that when you're an active member of the community, you're the last person in the world to do anything to jeapordize your Rep. It is ironic, given your other metrics that you haven't assimilated into what RFD Traders have...officially 12 YEARS now since inception., but even pre unofficially, adopted. Meh. Moving on.

You don't engage in business with a long-standing community member the same way as a stranger off the street. lol. That's the whole premise behind why there was sufficient demand to integrate it into a chat forum. People want to trade with community members, they know they can trust. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my trader feedback isn't perfect...oh wait..it is.

@MP3_SKY I guess I'm lucky then. I can't remember exactly where..but MY *lesson* was for a moto razr LOL. $110 paid up front to some nobody on RFD (This was 13~14yrs ago or so)., didn't have any feedback ( I don't think BST trader feedback existed back then ). It stung. Since then, it's been in-person deals, RFD'ers if >10 feedback & active profile. OFF KIJIJI, I never, not even for $20 would pay up front distance deals, but over the past few months like I've said, my tolerance has been relaxed for up to $250. So far honesty has prevailed. Maybe it's the kind of things I'm buying, maybe lucky, maybe my risk-assessments have been spot on. I'm sure it all adds up. Profile creation dates, etc.

Be Safe anyhoo.
PayTM - $70
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22627 posts
8369 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 7:53 am
It's no surprise you have 1 trade amongst the community.
a real RFDer recognizes and values BST trader feedback.
Yeah... no.
I literally couldn't care less about BST feedback because I have very little interest in selling or buying.
(Hmmm, are you saying that to me, as a random dude on the street? or specifically here on RFD?)
I'd say that to anyone. I don't care what your feedback is.
Money up front or no deal. Don't like it? Don't buy.
Recognizes, that when you're an active member of the community, you're the last person in the world to do anything to jeapordize your Rep. It is ironic, given your other metrics that you haven't assimilated into what RFD Traders have...officially 12 YEARS now since inception., but even pre unofficially, adopted. Meh. Moving on.

You don't engage in business with a long-standing community member the same way as a stranger off the street. lol. That's the whole premise behind why there was sufficient demand to integrate it into a chat forum. People want to trade with community members, they know they can trust. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my trader feedback isn't perfect...oh wait..it is.
I'm mildly tempted to pull an exit scam now.
It's not like it'd be hard to build up a bunch of feedback considering my "long standing history" and "activity".
Stuff a bunch of trades that are legit and build up to a bunch of bigger things.

I could probably make like $5000 off my reputation alone, especially if I pad out my feedback with some legit trades.

Your feedback means squat.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28393 posts
1182 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
death_hawk wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 4:00 am
I'm mildly tempted to pull an exit scam now. ...
LOL. You remind me of a kid who needs to do exactly what their parents say not to...just to do it.

Just Do it!
-Nike!
I could probably make like $5000 off my reputation alone, especially if I pad out my feedback with some legit trades.
LOL. I guess unless someone scrutinized the evals you forge, someone unfamiliar could fall for it. Of course, inexperienced online traders won't be your prime candidate to drop $5000. Heck OP is only buying a couple hundred & came here to ask advice. You want to pull a $5K Caper. It usually takes quite a few low dollar deals to break the ice, then work up to higher valued deals. They would not blindly go in like that. That means, your ideal target is an established trader, who when auditing your evals would see past your 1 trade (fake user shill submitted) trader feedback count of 14 let's say.

death_hawk My BST Feedback is 32.
RFD - but all your traders have a 0 or 1 trader rating?

haha.

Still, I am sure you are capable of doing it! Go nuts!
Your feedback means squat.
RFD Admins, mods & the BST community feel differently.

Paid $100 last week off Kijiji. Paid up front. Item arrived true to the lady's word. I'm happy. Albeit, it is always a fun few seconds as I open the box and half expect to see a box of rocks. LOL.
PayTM - $70
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22627 posts
8369 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 8:02 am
You want to pull a $5K Caper. It usually takes quite a few low dollar deals to break the ice, then work up to higher valued deals. They would not blindly go in like that. That means, your ideal target is an established trader, who when auditing your evals would see past your 1 trade (fake user shill submitted) trader feedback count of 14 let's say.

death_hawk My BST Feedback is 32.
RFD - but all your traders have a 0 or 1 trader rating?

haha.
Why would I lie about something that's so obvious to inspect?
I'm talking about actively using the system as is as it's intended to build up real ratings based off real trades THEN pulling an exit scam.
You'd have to be stupid to try it with zero feedback.
Or if it wasn't me doing it, someone that already has existing legitimate feedback could easily pull this.
Someone like me that has nothing would have to put some work into it to build it.
RFD Admins, mods & the BST community feel differently.
It's based on trust. Since there's no real consequence (besides losing the account) of breaking said trust, it literally means squat.
This is why you can buy old accounts on various communities to add legitimacy.
One would have to be extremely naive to think that this is a bulletproof system.
Paid $100 last week off Kijiji. Paid up front. Item arrived true to the lady's word. I'm happy. Albeit, it is always a fun few seconds as I open the box and half expect to see a box of rocks. LOL.
That's how a trade is supposed to work.
The opposite of that would be asking her to send the items unpaid until you receive it.