Computers & Electronics

What are the "ins and outs" of Bell Fibre Internet?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 6:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4422 posts
505 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec

What are the "ins and outs" of Bell Fibre Internet?

I'm thinking of switching from current cable internet with Teksavvy/Cogeco to Bell Fibre.

Fibre has been run to the outside of my house - so Bell would have to run the fibre through the wall and terminate it in the house somewhere.

I'm interested in comments from anyone who has had that done - positive and negative to get some idea what I'm in for.
Also how well the service works for them.

Problem I have now with my current cable 40/10 service is that the speeds are often much slower - down to one or two MBps at times, latency varies from 29msec (good) to over 300msec(terrible) and the connection drops every once in a while.

I don't really need higher speeds, but for gaming I need low latency and for web broadcasts I need better reliability.
Hoping fibre will give me that.

Couple of things struck me looking at the Bell website.
1. They talk about a subscription which seems to imply a contract for a certain length of time, but nothing is specfied other than that the price can go up at any time.
So does one have to commit for a minimum period.
2. There is a requirement to have at least one computer wired to the modem/router, at least that's the way I read it. Is that true? Doesn't really work for me where I want the modem/router
3. There is also a requirement to have a phone jack near the computer - doesn't really work for me either
29 replies
Sep 13, 2011
277 posts
69 upvotes
ANJOU
Check if you have access to 1 gig connexion (actually 940 Mbs). If you don't then you will not get a fiber optical internet. Fibre like you use does not exist, it's only a marketting terms invented by Bell.
They cover regular VDSL connexion and real fiber optical.

when you say: 'Fibre has been run to the outside of my house' it doesnt make any sens to me. When you talk about a requierement about a phone jack that's even more dubious :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4422 posts
505 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
You have me wondering now ..........
When I put my address in I get this from Bell
https://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Internet_access

It say enjoy gure fibre internet, but then the plans are called Fibe with the fastest plan shown at 1.5 Gb/s download and 940 Mb/s upload.

As to fibre has been run right to the house - that's actually what I mean.
Our road was dug up this summer and according to the workers, fibre was installed in the neighbourhood - I have an optical fibre cable run right to the outside wall of the house with maybe 10 or 12 feet coiled up.

My understanding is that Fibe (ie no "r") is fibre to the street and then copper for the last short section to the house - that has been around for a while.
What I think I have is real fibre right to the house.
Sep 13, 2011
277 posts
69 upvotes
ANJOU
IF you have access to more than 100 mbs, then it real fiber. your points 2 and 3 are not required.
Dec 6, 2008
196 posts
86 upvotes
Ontario
Bell pull the biggest scam calling it Fibe. They can only hope to someday be able to compete with Rogers on a level playing field. Not saying Rogers is perfect but my personal opinion is they are the lesser of two evils.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3382 posts
1078 upvotes
Mississauga
In areas where FTTH has been deployed, Bell is beating Rogers in every way as cable cannot touch those speeds, especially upload.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4386 posts
555 upvotes
Montreal
The only problem with Bell Fibe is that you have to deal with Bell.
Phils
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4422 posts
505 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I'm not crazy dealing with Bell either, but I'm in Cornwall which is Cogeco territory as far as I can tell, so Rogers is not an option either.

Seems Bell has dropped their pricing - last time I looked it was well over $100 for 50/50, now it's $110.- for the maximum speed of 1.5 GB/s
Not that much less than that for slower speeds.

Seems Carrytel can actually offer fibe up to 50/50 - that I assume needs access to a phone jack.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10597 posts
1261 upvotes
I got Fibe and I love it! The speed is a solid 940ish mbps up and down. Also the TV is so snappy. I can flip channels and not have to wait 2 seconds for each button press like Rogers. I live in a condo and have fibre to the unit.

Bell's service tech have been actually great. My condo was doing construction and accidentally cut the fibre from my unit to the central box on the floor. The construction crew was still in the building and they helped removed the covering (as the fibre wire was owned by the condo). As they did, the contractor managed to cut the wire 4 times! The Bell tech was remained patient with the contractor and patched it each time and it took from 9am to 3pm to completely fix the wire.
Last edited by joeyjoejoe on Nov 8th, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 4, 2012
198 posts
84 upvotes
Laval, Que
What do you mean a scam? If you have FTTH, you get a fiber optics cable directly to your modem.
Hockeyman888 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:06 pm
Bell pull the biggest scam calling it Fibe. They can only hope to someday be able to compete with Rogers on a level playing field. Not saying Rogers is perfect but my personal opinion is they are the lesser of two evils.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3382 posts
1078 upvotes
Mississauga
gophia wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 3:40 pm
What do you mean a scam? If you have FTTH, you get a fiber optics cable directly to your modem.
Bell's use of the term "Fibe" for marketing the product is really stretching things. People who don't really know assume it means fiber to the home when in actuality it can be either that or fiber to the node (then copper to the home). It also doesn't help when sketchy door-to-door sales people use that ambiguity to their advantage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4422 posts
505 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 3:40 pm
I got Fibe and I love it! The speed is a solid 940ish mbps up and down. Also the TV is so snappy. I can flip channels and not have to wait 2 seconds for each button press like Rogers. I live in a condo and have fibre to the unit.
Did you have to sign a contract?
Or can you cancel anytime?
On the Bell website they talk about a "subscription"

If people are wondering why I don't ask Bell about these things ....... well, I think the Bell rep will tell you anything to make a sale so I want to get more informed before I call them.

BTW - I just noticed that CarryTel is actually advertising FTTN up tyo 50/10 on their website.
Maybe I go with them since the speed is high enough for me purposes and they clearly stae one can cancel anytime.

I assume with FTTN there won't be the conjestion I see with cable internet in the afternoon and the speeds will stay pretty much constant.
Wondering about latency and reliability for on-line gaming and web broadcasts and Skype; cable seems to drop for a few seconds a few times a day.
Dec 6, 2008
196 posts
86 upvotes
Ontario
mrweather wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:36 pm
In areas where FTTH has been deployed, Bell is beating Rogers in every way as cable cannot touch those speeds, especially upload.
Silly rabbit marketing material is for kids. Check out coax in the usa it is a straight 1 to 1 ratio. Rogers chooses not to go 1 to 1 to suit their purposes. They could easily drop a gb upload if they wanted to. And btw i agree it is wrong they dont.
Dec 6, 2008
196 posts
86 upvotes
Ontario
Dont forget the tiny bell fine print...

Assuming optimal network conditions. The combination of a wired connection and at least one wireless connection, or multiple wireless connections, is required to obtain total speeds of up to 1.5 Gbps with Gigabit Fibe 1.5.

Assuming optimal network conditions. Maximum speeds can only be obtained on a wired connection.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4422 posts
505 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Hockeyman888 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 4:21 pm
Dont forget the tiny bell fine print...

Assuming optimal network conditions. The combination of a wired connection and at least one wireless connection, or multiple wireless connections, is required to obtain total speeds of up to 1.5 Gbps with Gigabit Fibe 1.5.

Assuming optimal network conditions. Maximum speeds can only be obtained on a wired connection.
Yeah, I read that but I think it's reasonable.
I don't think a typical wireless router has a hope of getting anywhere near the 1.5 Gbps speed on the wireless link.
Even when I complained about my speed on my current 40/10 connection, the ISP asked me to test with a wired connection, ie Ethernet connected to the modem.Turned out it was their problem - my wireless router, if the internet connection is solid and at speed, has no problems doing the full 40 Mbps.