Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON

What Inserts For Skates?

I just bought some new Bauer Nexus skates and the first time I skated on them they hurt so much I was at the point of just never skating again. Then I put my custom orthotics in them and it was a lot better. Like 100% pain to 15% pain. Tolerable. I have really flat feet and the arch of the skates was what was hurting. Getting the orthotics out almost required power tools though so I don't want to repeat that. I think I just need some kind of cushy insert to make skating not feel like torture. Can I just go to shoppers and get some gel inserts?
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Try Superfeet insoles-a lot of guys like them. Did you get the skates baked at the store before trying them?...its more for the upper areas of the skate but does help the footbed as less pressure.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Are they way more expensive then say Dr Shoel's? I'm not playing hockey. Just rec skating maybe twice a year.

Baked=yes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
Guncho wrote: Are they way more expensive then say Dr Shoel's? I'm not playing hockey. Just rec skating maybe twice a year.

Baked=yes.
Superfeet insoles are around $40, and they are excellent.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Would they really be way more comfortable than drug store gel inserts?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
Guncho wrote: Would they really be way more comfortable than drug store gel inserts?
I haven't compared them, so I can only speak for the the superfeet insoles. I had foot pain and these helped quite a bit.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I'm pretty sure Hockey Town and Corbett's Source For Sports in Oakville have them. When I bought my skates both places tried to upsell me on them pretty hard.
Dec 30, 2008
375 posts
88 upvotes
Bradford
I picked up some skates at National years ago and suffered with foot pain for years. I tried probably 5 or 6 different insoles, including custom orthotics. I finally got fed up and went to Source for Sports in London, intent on getting some new skates. I told the guy my story, he took my skates, put them in some machine and punched out the sides. Turns out they were too narrow for my foot. Problem solved, 0$ spent. Just a thought, take your skates to a proper shop and see what they say.

Of all the different insoles I tried, the yellow Superfeet were my favorite and I still use them.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I purposely bought extra wide Bauer Nexus skates for that same reason but the problem now is just the bottom of my feet. The skate has an arch, my feet do not have as much of an arch.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Superfeet will help a bit but your foot needs to adapt to the new structure of the skate. "Breaking in" your skate is partly about breaking in your foot so it adjusts to the skate.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I don't think my foot will adjust. It hurts so much. I need pillows tied to the bottom of me feet.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Guncho wrote: I don't think my foot will adjust. It hurts so much. I need pillows tied to the bottom of me feet.
Wear them in your house with guards on
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1595 upvotes
the yellow superfeet is probably what you want for skates... i literally swear by them. they cost $40-45 at Sportchek, National or Hockey Life.

The yellow one is designed for hockey skates as it's very thin... i've bought a pair for my running shoes and ski boots. and it did make a big difference.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
For purely rec skating what is different about these specialized skate inserts vs some gel inserts from the drugstore? Seems like they are way more expensive.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Gel inserts provide cushioning under your foot. Superfeet provide a platform to support your foot and reduce unnecessary strain associated with over pronation. Gel inserts are useless in hockey skates and will probably create more issues.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1595 upvotes
clseea wrote: Gel inserts provide cushioning under your foot. Superfeet provide a platform to support your foot and reduce unnecessary strain associated with over pronation. Gel inserts are useless in hockey skates and will probably create more issues.
yup, i made that mistake buying a gel insoles for like $15 on sale (from $30). it was think and didn't ease any arch pain... bought the superfeet for the first time, noticed the difference RIGHT away!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Follow up.

Went skating on the ice trail in Arrowhead for the second time with the new skates and first time with the superfeet inserts.

It still hurt. Not as much maybe but to the point where i had to take breaks.

Pain makes skating really not much fun.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Did you remove the skates inserts and replace with superfeet Guncho or just put the superfeet insoles on top?

Maybe get the skates baked again, and be sure the store clerk is baking at the right temp & length of time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)