Careers

What job search method is most successful (the one that landed you your job)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2015 11:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound

What job search method is most successful (the one that landed you your job)

In person application?

An agency?

Through connections/friend/family?

From volunteer work?

From an internship?

Through co-op placement?

Online? Which site? Directly from the company website, Kijiji, LinkedIn, Indeed, Workopolis, etc?
26 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
I'm going to follow this thread... should be interesting...
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
230 upvotes
Mecca
Obviously through family/friends/connections is the easiest and most successful.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2551 posts
1071 upvotes
Ontario
Direct website/from school networking sessions.

Helped that my school was a targeted area for companies for different fields.

Internships are generally leads to full time when you graduate - unless you are horrible or didn't like the work and moved on else where.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18147 upvotes
ONTARIO
I was a teller for 10 months. I left to pursue other things. I was out of a job and asked my old manager if I could have my job back. She made a few calls and a week later I got an offer for a f/t bank teller position. Ended up doing well as a teller and got promoted to sr.csr with some supervisory capacity. After being sr.csr for a few months, I moved onto another role. All this was done within the same company. I used the "foot in the door with entry level job" method.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
I actually applied online and got the job. It was several months after. The Hiring manager said he didn't like the batch HR sent, and personally looked through the applications.
Oct 31, 2008
397 posts
108 upvotes
I got my jobs via job search engines such as monster and other .
LinkedIn is good too. Sometime I got offered for phone interview for high paying jobs 65k+ but the job requirement is a bit out of my knowledges . so I just declined most of them lol . I know myself that even I get the job , I won't perform well and probably get fired later hahaha.
May 13, 2008
119 posts
22 upvotes
Depends on the type of work.

What worked for me is a combination of word of mouth, school websites, and online searches
Jul 18, 2015
277 posts
92 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
I found my job using a job site such as monster, or indeed.ca
The link sent me to my current employers site, where I sent in a resume and cover letter. 3/4 months later I got a phone call.
Never been happier :)
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
i've only ever got jobs from craiglist. seems to be the one where they don't ignore hundreds of applications, or they dont get a huge number of applications. never got calls from applying to jobs on indeed.ca or workbc
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
So far lots of online applications

I was expecting to see a lot of people getting jobs through connections/networking or from in-person applications
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: So far lots of online applications

I was expecting to see a lot of people getting jobs through connections/networking or from in-person applications
This is RFD for crying out loud
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
From internship/co-op (now sure why you have 2 separate options, seem like the same thing to me), apply & communicate in person from within.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
boyohboy wrote: From internship/co-op (now sure why you have 2 separate options, seem like the same thing to me), apply & communicate in person from within.
Co-op is part of a college/university program whereas an internship can be had without being a student
george__ wrote: This is RFD for crying out loud
Right!? Lol
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
recruitment agency.
Apr 26, 2012
427 posts
17 upvotes
Emailing my resume/online application.
Dec 10, 2006
220 posts
75 upvotes
Montreal
In person application? - Made several, never got anything this way. The only thing I got is awkward moments souvenirs

An agency? - Never used one

Through connections/friend/family? - Got my student job this way

From volunteer work? - Where I volunteered, there where no job opportunity there, but it's nice to write on your resume for certain jobs

From an internship? - One of my teacher helped me to get an internship at my current job. There were no openings right away, but when someone got sick, they called me to give me a contract.

Through co-op placement? - Don't know what this is

Online? Which site? Directly from the company website, Kijiji, LinkedIn, Indeed, Workopolis, etc? - On Québec Municipal web site, there are several jobs in several cities. I got a job because they asked for resume to be faxed and no oned bothered faxing their resume, I think we where only 3 that where interviewed, so I got the contract.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7086 posts
5217 upvotes
Most jobs are through networking in some way.

The issue is that many people believe the lie that they got the job because of merit. They believe it because they want others to believe they have skills and didn't get the job out of some favor.

I highly doubt that someone will put "I got this job because my mother was good friends with the manager" on their resume and yet it's the real reason they were hired at that job that gave them the skills and abilities they have.

When I apply online, I search out and contact the company itself. Of course, many of them are confused and some think you are wasting their time. Well, when you apply online, often you are competing with maybe 500 applicants. If you are just applying, that's like playing the lottery. Calling them up may make you unique and may actually get some kind of response.

Having a friend who works at a company refer and vouch for you at there current workplace should be a great way to get a job. If your friend doesn't or can't help you, that likely means they are not a great worker or they don't think highly of you.