Entertainment

What was the last BAD movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 6:24 am
Tags:
None
Dec 14, 2016
914 posts
948 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
The Burning (1981)
nowhere2010 wrote: Really really liked it ;)
Easily one of the best 4K transfers & cool flick if you like typical slasher/horrorScreenshot 2024-03-01 094149.jpg
The transfer might be nice, but this movie is for people who really love '80s era cheese. I'll concede that it's probably no worse than a lot of the shoestring budget Halloween/Friday the 13th knock-offs from that era, but I wouldn't consider it a classic slasher as some fans insist that it is.

The filmmakers clearly knew the assignment and adapted to screen the the old campfire story about a camp caretaker named Cropsy getting revenge on kids who played a prank that went really wrong. The movie does a good job of taking away any sympathy we have for Cropsey by having him kill as his first victim a woman who had nothing to do with the prank. Then he shows he's not too choosy about the people he takes out by murdering more people at a different camp who weren't responsible for the joke gone bad.

The Burning certainly feels like someone watched Friday the 13th and decided to make a carbon copy. Except the parts where people aren't getting killed are like a low-rent summer hangout movie with camp counsellors pulling pranks on each other, trying to score, and just keeping themselves amused when there's not a whole lot of entertainment around. To its credit, the movie has a big cast (including Jason Alexander with a full head of hair(!)) and it's not obvious who's going to survive (again, Cropsy doesn't specifically target the people who pranked him). The rules about the Final Girl and promiscuous teens don't necessarily apply.

The thing is, you go into a movie like this for the kills, and The Burning certainly has a standout moment when Cropsy murders a bunch of people in a matter of seconds. The rest of the takedowns are passable, but a lot of them show the limits of the movie's budget. Practical effects guru Tom Savini worked on this movie, but he isn't able to come up with anything that approaches the classic moments he had in Maniac (the shotgun blast) or The Prowler (a bayonet through a skull). Also, the way a lot of the kill scenes are edited doesn't do Savini's work a lot of favours.

The Burning isn't the worst slasher ever to come out of the '80s, but I wouldn't call it upper tier, either. It's middle of the pack and reasonably fun, especially if you're having a few brewskis while watching it. If you're trying out slashers for the first time, this isn't the best movie to start with.

For those who don't want to go anywhere near anything that Harvey Weinstein has touched, be warned. He and brother Bob were all over this movie and are listed in the writing team.

If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Morgan Spurlock, the guy that did the Super Size Me documentary faked the results. He was an admitted heavy drinker during the entire last 20+ years.
He only admitted to drinking during that entire time after he was accused of rape and multiple instances of sexual misconduct.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... misconduct

For years this documentary was treated as an educational video in health classes for schools everywhere in North America.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18181 posts
14182 upvotes
Toronto
Lamborghini

I watched Ferrari recently and found it OK. I figured I would watch this too and came away disappointed.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Should I bother finishing it. LOL

I'm 26 minutes in.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6232 posts
4831 upvotes
^ Of course you should finish it. I'm just a loyal purist and loved the original too much which is more or less why I gave it some shade and it landed here instead of the other thread. ;) LOL

Another Patrick Swayze movie they did a remake of which I didn't like either was "Point Break".
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

I completely forgot about this movie.
Noticed Madam Web was available online, which reminded me I had not watched this.
Definitely regret that realization.

Such terrible use of CGI for universe building.
They spent so much superficially showing all sorts of places, with zero emotional effect or connection.
The characters and plot were utterly moronic.
And Geez - talk about a Doc Ock ripoff with the mechanical tentacles.

Remarkable how badly they screwed up the sequels to Aqua and WonderW.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Dec 14, 2016
914 posts
948 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
The Air I Breathe (2007)

This is a collection of four melodramatic stories that interlock and have a few twists. A couple of those turns are spoiled in the above trailer, but most people will see them coming anyway.

The cast is remarkable if you just read the names: Forest Whitaker, Brendan Fraser, Andy Garcia, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Kevin Bacon, Emile Hirsch, Jon Bernthal, Julie Delpy, and even Kelly Hu for you Martial Law fans. The Air I Breathe, however, proves that a great group of actors can only do so much for a lame script.

The movie is based on a Chinese proverb which says you have to experience love, sorrow, happiness, and pleasure to know life. So we get four mini-movies representing each emotion, that is, Whitaker=happiness, Fraser=pleasure, Gellar=sorrow, and Bacon=love. They cross paths to varying degrees to prove that you can't have one without the others, which is where the Pulp Fiction-style overlaps come into the picture. Like the Tarantino classic, this movie isn't chronological so you'll get glimpses of certain characters before they're properly introduced while in other instances you'll see the actions of one affect the fate of another much later on.

This is a hugely ambitious movie that's often compared to Crash (the Oscar winner, not the Cronenberg film), but it's long forgotten thanks to its pointlessness. The Air I Breathe feels like a first-year film's student version of Crash, 21 Grams, or even Sin City in that it uses the idea of people with interconnected fates to say nothing. This is an emotionally hollow exercise that feels as though it's lampooning any of the above films. It's the sort of movie that's just begging to have a riff track made for it because it takes itself so seriously while telling lightweight stories that have appeared in numerous bad TV shows.

The really sad part is that The Air I Breathe is decent on a technical level. The framing and editing are obviously executed by people who know what they're doing even if it's not awards-worthy work we're talking about. The director hasn't made another film since this one, but at least he gets to say he worked with major stars at one time.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18181 posts
14182 upvotes
Toronto
I just watched the Road House remake

Utter garbage
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18181 posts
14182 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote: Should I bother finishing it. LOL

I'm 26 minutes in.
Trust me don’t
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Swerny wrote: Trust me don’t
I ended finishing it.

I watched the original afterwards just to get the bad taste out of my mouth. LOL

When you think the best line in the movie is, "who thought you shapes." It's a problem.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26213 posts
39756 upvotes
Toronto
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Grand total of three of us at last night's 7pm Screen X screening (Scotiabank Cinema Toronto).

Silence throughout. Never heard one laugh from them.

If this was the first entry in the series I'm pretty sure we never would have had any sequel.

Popcorn was fresh, tasty. The only silver lining
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)