Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:10 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Lucky Logan. Enjoyed the movie and found it quite funny at times.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
Wind River.
Was a bit slow at the beginning, however that helped capture the emotions involved in such horrendous crime. leading to the dramatic finale, considering it was based on a true story.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
The Hateful Eight.
Although the slow pace, it has an excellent cast and the acting is great.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Logan Lucky on iTunes.

I bought G.I. Jane and Crimson Tide on Google Play with my 50% off coupons.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
newt_101 wrote: I saw 2 flicks recently that aren't for everyone but if their individual vibes suit you, they are both very satisfying:

Mayhem - This stars The Walking Dead's Yeun and a Margot Robbie look-a-like in an over the top Purge/Crank/Belko Experiment hybrid about office workers going nuts. Fun popcorn flick.

Creep - Found-footage thriller (non-shaky camera) about a really creepy (sorry, couldn't find a better word to describe him) guy asking a stranger to film his life. It's a slow-burn, but Duplass's performance is solid and the payout is really good.
Samara Weaving is an amazing find! She is great in Netflix's horror comedy The Babysitter that I recently saw. Not only beautiful, but a damn good actress too. I look forward to seeing her in future projects.

Creep was definitely creepy. Creep 2 just came out a month ago as well.
MyNameWasTaken wrote: Three billboards outside... Frances McDormand was brilliant, I loved it all

Between that and The Florida Project, these are definitely the top two films of the year for me.
I just saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri today. It won the top prize at TIFF a couple months ago. It was a terrific movie that alternated between heart-wrenching drama and black comedy. They should just carve Frances McDormand's name on the Best Actress Oscar now. She was phenomenal!

Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Talamasca wrote: I just saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri today. It won the top prize at TIFF a couple months ago. It was a terrific movie that alternated between heart-wrenching drama and black comedy. They should just carve Frances McDormand's name on the Best Actress Oscar now. She was phenomenal!

+ That film floored me. It was so amazing. This was up there with In Bruges for McDonagh's best.
I wonder if we were in the same theatre? (I go to Eglinton Town Centre these days just cause it's never sold out and parking is easy, and snack up at Wal Mart and Dollarama nearby) Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I also decided to catch a second flick: Wonder
Performances, direction and the form the story was told in were all great - it felt authentic and hit quite a few emotional wallops.
My only beef was as it was done by the same director/writer as 'Perks of Being a Wallflower' it followed a very similar vibe and the closing monologue scene felt almost identical to his first movie.
If Perks wasn't one of my favourite movies of recent years, I would have given this a near perfect score but the originality was missing.

Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
newt_101 wrote: + That film floored me. It was so amazing. This was up there with In Bruges for McDonagh's best.
I wonder if we were in the same theatre? (I go to Eglinton Town Centre these days just cause it's never sold out and parking is easy, and snack up at Wal Mart and Dollarama nearby) Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I also decided to catch a second flick: Wonder
Performances, direction and the form the story was told in were all great - it felt authentic and hit quite a few emotional wallops.
My only beef was as it was done by the same director/writer as 'Perks of Being a Wallflower' it followed a very similar vibe and the closing monologue scene felt almost identical to his first movie.
If Perks wasn't one of my favourite movies of recent years, I would have given this a near perfect score but the originality was missing.
I saw Three Billboards at the Cineplex Winston Churchill in Oakville. It's a really good location. Due to its 24 screens, it often shows artsier movies along with the blockbusters, which makes it easier for this suburban dweller to see such movies instead of schlepping myself all the way downtown.

I've been avoiding Wonder as it looks like a Hallmark movie, but I didn't know it was from the director of Perks, which I also loved. I'll have to check it out.
Last edited by Talamasca on Nov 26th, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Talamasca wrote: I saw Three Billboards at the Cineplex Winston Churchill in Oakville. It's a really good location. Due to its 24 screens, it often shows artsier movies along with the blockbusters, which makes it easier for this suburban dweller to see such movies instead of schlepping myself all the way downtown.

I've been avoiding Wonder as it looks like a Hallmark movie, but I didn't know it was from the director of Perks, which I also loved. I'll have to check it out.
I need to check that place out next time I'm passing through the west end.

You won't be disappointed in Wonder if you liked Perks for sure!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
Justice League 7.9/10 Points taken away for too little humor. Otherwise, great.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
ji2o0k wrote: hehe, watched Mayhem tonight with the wifey - thoroughly enjoyed it! Like you said, in the same vein as the Purge\Crank\Belko Experiment...
I got to see Mayhem last night and it was a blast. Definitely in the vein of The Purge and The Belko Experiment.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
PG-13 version of Pulp Fiction. LOL

Go
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
Thor:

8.5/10 ? im not sure, it's mostly a comedy movie, not sure how to feel about it but I had fun.

Justice League:
8/10, not sure why the critics are blasting it, i thought it was pretty good...

Wind River:
7.5/10, I guess it's a good movie to past the time, good acting but pretty bland overall imo...
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
Two weeks ago: Thor Ragnarok

Tonight: Pixar's Coco

Might be one of Pixar's best films thus far, but I think I still love Inside Out just a little bit more.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
DimsumDeals wrote: Wind River:
7.5/10, I guess it's a good movie to past the time, good acting but pretty bland overall imo...
Wind River was excellent. I'd probably rate it higher than 7.5. Acting was very good. I'm really liking Taylor Sheridan writing and directing work (Sicario, Hell or Highwater, Wind River). Hell of a good slow burn film.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
I'm reading some comments about movies (not from this thread) and I realize that this is art but some ppl have crazy tastes or lack thereof lol. Stuff I really like some ppl think they're junk and some I think are really bad some think are amazing. Man hahha.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.