Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:10 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2004
5799 posts
2639 upvotes
Toronto
Overlord - 7/10

Set in a Wolfenstein scenario which is what I really liked but what is disappointing is that it's not heavily "monster" characters. Lots of graphic action.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Glass. Simply better than all those generic comic book movies.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
This Ridley Scott short film just aired at the Super Bowl. It's his best work in the last 10 years, better than any of his feature films in the last decade.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Roma - Masterpiece. This is my current vote for best picture, cinematography, directing and sound.
Mid90s - This movie was incredibly relatable and real for me
A Simple Favor
Eighth Grade
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
Polar on Netflix.
Just a fun and silly movie with some John Wick similar action sequence.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26216 posts
39767 upvotes
Toronto
Finally saw The Artist from 2011. Last night at Alliance Francaise in Toronto. Lovely venue with free/PWYC Movies most Thursday nights.

The movie was very enjoyable with great performances, especially the doggy!

toronto-free-thursday-night-films-allia ... c-2224055/
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
ji2o0k wrote: Widows - 7/10

Entertained throughout and kept me guessing......good movie
I think it's kind of slow. There are a couple of scenes with nothing more than looking at actors staring.
It seems it picks up after 3/4 of the movie but my wife and I got tired and turned it off.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
Mr. Robo wrote: Overlord - 7/10

Set in a Wolfenstein scenario which is what I really liked but what is disappointing is that it's not heavily "monster" characters. Lots of graphic action.
+2 - watched this tonight and enjoyed it.........like a video game but with more dialogue....bring on the sequel with more monsters!!
Banned
Feb 8, 2019
18 posts
4 upvotes
A Star is Born
What a fantastic film. I really wasn't bothered about watching it as I really didn't think it would be my sort of film, however after making the missus watch First Man, it was her turn to choose. Great performances by all of the actors and I was actually gutted at the end. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be about at all and I'd glad I made the effort to watch it
Last edited by luckyjack319 on Feb 11th, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2668 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: +2 - watched this tonight and enjoyed it.........like a video game but with more dialogue....bring on the sequel with more monsters!!
I watched that last night too.. and enjoyed it as well!
Mar 19, 2013
728 posts
228 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
We watched Green Book tonight. Very good movie. Has been nominated for best picture. Won’t win, still a good movie.
Banned
Feb 8, 2019
18 posts
4 upvotes
The 12th Man Remarkable WW2 survival story set in Norway. A solid 7/10 as I love this sort of stuff and I wasn't familiar with the story. :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Magoo61 wrote: We watched Green Book tonight. Very good movie. Has been nominated for best picture. Won’t win, still a good movie.
I absolutely loved this movie.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
Mortal Engines - Great story, impressive visual effects. For a brief moment it reminded me of the mechanical spider in Wild Wild West.

Overlord - Great cinematography. Very entertaining WWII movie. I used to play Wolfenstein 3D, but perhaps this is more like the most recent Wolfenstein video game which I haven't played.
Dec 14, 2016
914 posts
949 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
Happy Death Day 2U

Caught the critics' screening for this sequel and had a great time. I really don't want to say too much because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone going to see it. I'll just say that anybody who was concerned about the sequel being a lame cash grab that's just a retread of the first movie need not worry. I had wondered myself how the story could possibly continue after the first film; well, writer/director Christopher Landon found a way, and it isn't half bad.

Word of warning: if you haven't seen the original Happy Death Day, you might want to hold off on seeing the sequel. I went with a buddy who didn't get a chance to see the first movie and only read the plot synopsis and our reactions were like night and day: he thought it was OK but lightweight whereas I enjoyed the living hell out of the movie because it really rewards people who've seen the first film.

This film is loads of fun, and I don't hesitate for one second to recommend it for fans of the original HDD.

Completely unrelated side note: FLOW 93.5's Kash and Carter introduced the film at the screening, but instead of giving away a studio swag bag, they offered a handful of free FLOW T-shirts. They didn't have a T-shirt cannon, but the ensuing waving and screaming from the crowd conjured up images of Maude Flanders in my mind.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2668 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
gontori wrote: Mortal Engines - Great story, impressive visual effects. For a brief moment it reminded me of the mechanical spider in Wild Wild West.

Overlord - Great cinematography. Very entertaining WWII movie. I used to play Wolfenstein 3D, but perhaps this is more like the most recent Wolfenstein video game which I haven't played.
I really enjoyed both of these movies too..

For some reason "Mortal Engines" gave me the "Final Fantasy" vibe (as in the games, not the existing movie)...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
A Star Is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody

I preferred A Star Is Born and thought it was the better movie of the two. I still need to watch Green Book and The Favorite but so far I think Roma is the easy obvious pick out of the best picture nominations
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
PlainDealer wrote: Happy Death Day 2U

Caught the critics' screening for this sequel and had a great time. I really don't want to say too much because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone going to see it. I'll just say that anybody who was concerned about the sequel being a lame cash grab that's just a retread of the first movie need not worry. I had wondered myself how the story could possibly continue after the first film; well, writer/director Christopher Landon found a way, and it isn't half bad.

Word of warning: if you haven't seen the original Happy Death Day, you might want to hold off on seeing the sequel. I went with a buddy who didn't get a chance to see the first movie and only read the plot synopsis and our reactions were like night and day: he thought it was OK but lightweight whereas I enjoyed the living hell out of the movie because it really rewards people who've seen the first film.

This film is loads of fun, and I don't hesitate for one second to recommend it for fans of the original HDD.

Completely unrelated side note: FLOW 93.5's Kash and Carter introduced the film at the screening, but instead of giving away a studio swag bag, they offered a handful of free FLOW T-shirts. They didn't have a T-shirt cannon, but the ensuing waving and screaming from the crowd conjured up images of Maude Flanders in my mind.
+1

Saw it last night and liked the sci-fi element they boosted onto the first one (which as you mentioned - you must see if you want to appreciate the sequel).
Reprising her role in the lead, Jessica Rothe is still great to watch.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)