Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:10 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
Alive was nice to waste some time. Overall, I like Korean, Indonesian and Eastern European movies as they have can be as good or better than Hollywood, with great cast and cinematography. Cannot be said the same for Indian, Chinese, many western European and Australian movies. Indian and Chinese - Often cheesy, with bad acting from 90s, bellow average cinematography. The extraction showed there's some hope for Indian movies when you add professionals. Same with Wandering Earth for China, but for some reason, most of the stuff that comes out is beyond horrible.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4370 upvotes
Winnipeg
idiotcanuck wrote: Always a fan of High Plains Drifter, from this era, too. When Eastwood had started directing more often.
watched his "the gauntlet" again not too shabby either. His "play misty for me" was the first "fatal attraction" flick.
Feb 24, 2018
967 posts
687 upvotes
The Servant (1963) - Good
Wonder Woman 1984 (2020) - What a mess
Gladiator (2000) - Good
The Conversation (1974) - Great
State of Siege (1972) - Great
Weathering With You (2020) - Bad but looked good
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: watched his "the gauntlet" again not too shabby either. His "play misty for me" was the first "fatal attraction" flick.
Haven't seen Play Misty..... for many years. I still remember that wonderful crazy performance from the actress though. I believe it was Jessica Walters?
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.

Respect your OP's. They don't get paid to do this, and don't have to come here to post their deals for you. They can all just hoard their deals in silence, if you prefer?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4370 upvotes
Winnipeg
idiotcanuck wrote: Haven't seen Play Misty..... for many years. I still remember that wonderful crazy performance from the actress though. I believe it was Jessica Walters?
Yes the Mom from Arrested development. What a coinquidink!

Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2013
1018 posts
344 upvotes
in a bubble
newt_101 wrote: Hunter Hunter

A couple of teen actors (Sawa and Stahl) that were known in the movie-world 20 years ago are together in this haunting and very well-made survivalist thriller.
The story unfolds slowly, sort of like a drama, and has elements from the McCarthy movie 'The Road', but at the end of the day, it's a revenge horror movie.

Even if you think you're prepared for the ending, you won't be - it's as grim, disturbing, and intense as anything you can imagine.
just watched this....i need a stiff drink or a comedy to watch b/c im gonna have nightmares! very suspense full. i didnt care for the animal skinning/traps parts but i guess thats life in the wilderness.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5134 posts
4928 upvotes
Watched a free version of the seventy year old Japanese crime drama "Rashomon" at archive.org.

Make sure you get the 1 hour 28 minute version.

Film director Akira Kurosawa was way ahead of his time.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
newt_101 wrote: Hunter Hunter

A couple of teen actors (Sawa and Stahl) that were known in the movie-world 20 years ago are together in this haunting and very well-made survivalist thriller.
The story unfolds slowly, sort of like a drama, and has elements from the McCarthy movie 'The Road', but at the end of the day, it's a revenge horror movie.

Even if you think you're prepared for the ending, you won't be - it's as grim, disturbing, and intense as anything you can imagine.
ammaretto wrote: just watched this....i need a stiff drink or a comedy to watch b/c im gonna have nightmares! very suspense full. i didnt care for the animal skinning/traps parts but i guess thats life in the wilderness.
OK, guess I'm pretty battle-hardened then haha.

SPOILERS

I thought it was gonna be a werewolf flick, so the wolf is totally separate? Stahl was just torture/killing those women but got shot by the husband? How did their paths meet?

When husband first shot at the wolf, he went to the scene and saw a chewed-off human arm, what gives?

Why did the wife suspect Stahl killed her husband?

I know it doesn't FWD the plot but hard to believe hubby wouldn't tell wife about that murder scene.

I really had to suspend disbelief here as they shouldn't be scared of a lone wolf, esp since they are supposedly seasoned outdoors ppl, maybe if they subbed it for a grizzly. Not sure why the writer(s) chose a wolf.

This movie reminded me of that crazy-looking woman w her newborn that were trappers and got killed by a bear up north a while back.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
ammaretto wrote: just watched this....i need a stiff drink or a comedy to watch b/c im gonna have nightmares! very suspense full. i didnt care for the animal skinning/traps parts but i guess thats life in the wilderness.
For sure - the harsh reality of living off the grid shows.
I on the other hand have continued my spiral downwards of watching disturbing/depressing films - feels right given the holiday season and all lol
tranquility922 wrote: OK, guess I'm pretty battle-hardened then haha.

SPOILERS

I thought it was gonna be a werewolf flick, so the wolf is totally separate? Stahl was just torture/killing those women but got shot by the husband? How did their paths meet?

When husband first shot at the wolf, he went to the scene and saw a chewed-off human arm, what gives?

Why did the wife suspect Stahl killed her husband?

I know it doesn't FWD the plot but hard to believe hubby wouldn't tell wife about that murder scene.

I really had to suspend disbelief here as they shouldn't be scared of a lone wolf, esp since they are supposedly seasoned outdoors ppl, maybe if they subbed it for a grizzly. Not sure why the writer(s) chose a wolf.

This movie reminded me of that crazy-looking woman w her newborn that were trappers and got killed by a bear up north a while back.
Off the top of my head let's see if I can address some of these...

The movie is not supernatural in any way. The wolf is real, a threat to humans (the family in the woods), was killing other animals and eating the body parts of Stahl's murder victims - but from what was showed it never killed another human. 

I don't think Stahl was shot - it looked more like he was injured/slashed/cut, no? 
BUT I do think that Stahl and Sawa had a confrontation and in the end, Stahl won but came out injured after killing off Sawa. Sawa is a hunter, but perhaps he was off the grid for so long his only threats were animals/nature, so when he came face to face with a psychopathic human killer he wasn't prepared for that type of showdown? Animals aren't inherently evil, but humans....

In terms of the wife suspecting Stahl, she remembers the convo they had after he regains consciousness and recalls how non-specific, weak and random he was being with certain things, compared to others - it was intuition, instead of anything specific. 

Sawa didn't wanna tell wife about murder scene to as not to stress her/daughter out. He wanted to live in the woods - wife/daughter never did but went along because it was part of the father's/leader of the family's vision/needs. 

From someone who's been involved in related outdoor operations in a past profession, wolves are very much a threat. They may not have the size of a grizzly but they hunt in other IMO more intelligent ways. 

In terns of you not being disturbed by the movie - it's a slow ramp up towards the ending: the young daughter being raped and/or killed, the graphic skinning of the murderer (while being kept alive), all while the wife was listening to the music that the murderer himself used when committing his crimes horrified me. 

I should mention that I've seen any movie that's considered graphic, disturbing and intense ever made (yes, pretty much all) but gore or violence never bothers me - it's the context of how it's used, the psychological impact the filmmakers are trying to elicit from their audience and the profound effect a viewing can have hours or days (hell, even weeks) after that does it for me. For example Fincher's Seven - there's arguably no violence in the whole movie, and only one death on-screen, but it is one of the most unsettling for me based on what I shared. 

Oh and the story you're referring to is this wonderful bit of memory lane: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/worl ... yukon.html
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
SPOILERS

newt_101 wrote: For sure - the harsh reality of living off the grid shows.
I on the other hand have continued my spiral downwards of watching disturbing/depressing films - feels right given the holiday season and all lol

Off the top of my head let's see if I can address some of these...

The movie is not supernatural in any way. The wolf is real, a threat to humans (the family in the woods), was killing other animals and eating the body parts of Stahl's murder victims - but from what was showed it never killed another human. 

I don't think Stahl was shot - it looked more like he was injured/slashed/cut, no? 
BUT I do think that Stahl and Sawa had a confrontation and in the end, Stahl won but came out injured after killing off Sawa. Sawa is a hunter, but perhaps he was off the grid for so long his only threats were animals/nature, so when he came face to face with a psychopathic human killer he wasn't prepared for that type of showdown? Animals aren't inherently evil, but humans....

In terms of the wife suspecting Stahl, she remembers the convo they had after he regains consciousness and recalls how non-specific, weak and random he was being with certain things, compared to others - it was intuition, instead of anything specific. 

Sawa didn't wanna tell wife about murder scene to as not to stress her/daughter out. He wanted to live in the woods - wife/daughter never did but went along because it was part of the father's/leader of the family's vision/needs. 

From someone who's been involved in related outdoor operations in a past profession, wolves are very much a threat. They may not have the size of a grizzly but they hunt in other IMO more intelligent ways. 

In terns of you not being disturbed by the movie - it's a slow ramp up towards the ending: the young daughter being raped and/or killed, the graphic skinning of the murderer (while being kept alive), all while the wife was listening to the music that the murderer himself used when committing his crimes horrified me. 

I should mention that I've seen any movie that's considered graphic, disturbing and intense ever made (yes, pretty much all) but gore or violence never bothers me - it's the context of how it's used, the psychological impact the filmmakers are trying to elicit from their audience and the profound effect a viewing can have hours or days (hell, even weeks) after that does it for me. For example Fincher's Seven - there's arguably no violence in the whole movie, and only one death on-screen, but it is one of the most unsettling for me based on what I shared. 

Oh and the story you're referring to is this wonderful bit of memory lane: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/worl ... yukon.html
Great explanations. I guess I was prepared for the ending since you kinda warned about it so the shock wasn't as much for me.

The husband was crazy/selfish not to tell the family about that crime scene. He must've known some killer was in the area.

I still think they overreact about just a lone wolf though. Danger to their trapping animals yes but don't they usually run away on sight of humans? Read that even packs run away, I suppose unless they were desperately hungry.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5027 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Not sure why you guys don't fully quote longer posts Thinking FaceFace With Tears Of Joy. Keep the recommendation coming Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6231 posts
4830 upvotes
Any good movie recommendations to close the last few days of 2020. Some films to reflect on this very challenging and unprecedented year. Thanks in advance!
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
hyperactiveme wrote: Not sure why you guys don't fully quote longer posts Thinking FaceFace With Tears Of Joy. Keep the recommendation coming Thumbs Up Sign
Did you mean why didn't I *not* quote that long text? Sorry bro, was on my phone, couldn't do that fancy maneuvering edits lol. Next time haha.

Mr_Fanta wrote: Any good movie recommendations to close the last few days of 2020. Some films to reflect on this very challenging and unprecedented year. Thanks in advance!
Now WHY would you wanna torture yourself x2? LOL.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6231 posts
4830 upvotes
^ If I don't get some good suggestions, I may have to pop in "Cloud Atlas" before the year is over for a re-watch. LOL
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8742 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote: Any good movie recommendations to close the last few days of 2020. Some films to reflect on this very challenging and unprecedented year. Thanks in advance!
I'm trying to collect a copy of Tom Hank's new movie: News of the world. I love westerns & Tom Hanks in a western!!! Whattttt!!!

Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Mr_Fanta wrote: ^ If I don't get some good suggestions, I may have to pop in "Cloud Atlas" before the year is over for a re-watch. LOL
Somebody reco some flicks for this poor soul QUICKLY, NOT Cloud Atlas!!!! LOL.

I don't get that film, so many good actors, good special fx, I couldn't make it past 10 minutes.

EDIT: inspired by ji2o0k, I recommend Tombstone if you didn't see that already (probably did). Like 2020, It has lots of suffering and dying and an infectious disease is involved (kinda lol).
Last edited by tranquility922 on Dec 28th, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6231 posts
4830 upvotes
^ Cloud Atlas has many, many layers... You would have really appreciated the film if you saw it at the Cinesphere in that large scope. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Last edited by Mr_Fanta on Dec 28th, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Mr_Fanta wrote: ^ Cloud Atlas has many, many layers... Smiling Face With Sunglasses
An onion I didn't care to peel :p
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8742 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: Somebody reco some flicks for this poor soul QUICKLY, NOT Cloud Atlas!!!! LOL.

I don't get that film, so many good actors, good special fx, I couldn't make it past 10 minutes.

EDIT: inspired by ji2o0k, I recommend Tombstone if you didn't see that already (probably did). Like 2020, It has lots of suffering and dying and an infectious disease is involved (kinda lol).
Gotta go with Unforgiven with Clint & Morgan Freeman - man, what an amazing film!!!