Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2017 10:08 am
Tags:
Jan 9, 2011
823 posts
404 upvotes
Vancouver
The Gods Must Be Crazy II. Watched a couple of nights ago for the first time. Hilarious!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1807 posts
211 upvotes
In another world
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Fast dialog that gets you lost easily, but great action and visual effects.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3159 posts
932 upvotes
Edmonton
Skip2MyLou wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 5:47 pm
Contratiempo (The Invisible Guest) on Netflix. If you like psychological thrillers, this is among the best I've seen in recent memory.
Thanks for the recommendation. Loved it, lots of interesting twists and turns.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10056 posts
634 upvotes
Mississauga
I re-watched The Shawshank Redemption on the weekend. A true masterpiece.

Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2072 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
King Arthur.

Not at all what I was expecting. Kept me entertained. But its weird how I will always think of the main character as Jax.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5524 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Talamasca wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 10:27 pm
I re-watched The Shawshank Redemption on the weekend. A true masterpiece.

One of the very best.
It still baffles my mind how it did so poorly at the awards.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4305 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Finally saw Get Out!

What a great, but freaky, movie.

I hope I don't get nightmares for the next while lo.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2072 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
glover78 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 9:46 pm
Finally saw Get Out!

What a great, but freaky, movie.

I hope I don't get nightmares for the next while lo.
Serious? To me a waste of time. Was expecting more, way more based on ppls reviews.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10056 posts
634 upvotes
Mississauga
newt_101 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:03 pm
One of the very best.
It still baffles my mind how it did so poorly at the awards.
Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction also came out that year.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5524 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Talamasca wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 3:09 pm
Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction also came out that year.
Ya but Shawshank won zilch!
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10056 posts
634 upvotes
Mississauga
newt_101 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 3:38 pm
Ya but Shawshank won zilch!
I totally agree, it deserved some hardware. Forrest Gump was such a massive juggernaut that year though. It starred one of the biggest actors in the world in an extremely likable role, had a very heartwarming and Hollywood-perfect story, made a TON of money, and had ground-breaking visual effects to boot. Pulp Fiction was of course renowned for its screenplay, so that was a lock.

Here's something crazy: Tim Robbins wasn't even nominated for his performance in Shawshank! Frank Darabont wasn't nominated for Best Director either.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5524 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Talamasca wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 3:48 pm
I totally agree, it deserved some hardware. Forrest Gump was such a massive juggernaut that year though. It starred one of the biggest actors in the world in an extremely likable role, had a very heartwarming and Hollywood-perfect story, made a TON of money, and had ground-breaking visual effects to boot. Pulp Fiction was of course renowned for its screenplay, so that was a lock.

Here's something crazy: Tim Robbins wasn't even nominated for his performance in Shawshank! Frank Darabont wasn't nominated for Best Director either.
I agree. Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction are both superb films, but I think Shawshank really stands the test of time, and for repeated viewings it holds itself up so well.

And speaking of Tarantino, remember Christian Slater's speech from True Romance?

“You know, most movies that win a lot of Oscars, I can’t stand. Sophie’s Choice, Ordinary People, Kramer vs. Kramer, Gandhi. All that stuff is safe, geriatric, coffee-table dog sh*t…like that Merchant Ivory clap-trap. All those a–holes make are unwatchable movies from unreadable books…They ain’t plays, they ain’t books, they certainly ain’t movies, they’re films. And do you know what films are? They’re for people who don’t like movies. Mad Max, that’s a movie. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, that’s a movie. Rio Bravo, that’s a movie. Rumble Fish, that’s a f—in’ movie…”
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10056 posts
634 upvotes
Mississauga
The irony being that True Romance and Pulp Fiction are considered films instead of movies, if you classify movies=entertainment and films=art.

1994 was a really good year. All three of those movies (Gump, Pulp, and Shawshank) have all stood the test of time and can be considered modern classics.
Jul 15, 2008
16 posts
2 upvotes
Vaughan
The Conjuring, it was great and scary. I hope Conjuring 2 is as good.