Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 8:56 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19326 posts
1455 upvotes
newt_101 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 7:53 am
lol I think this movie just might be made for you if that's the case. Let us know what you think
hehe, watched Mayhem tonight with the wifey - thoroughly enjoyed it! Like you said, in the same vein as the Purge\Crank\Belko Experiment...

who is that girl? splitting image of Margot Robbie.....google'd her, her name is Samara Weaving....very nice!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5600 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
ji2o0k wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 12:20 am
hehe, watched Mayhem tonight with the wifey - thoroughly enjoyed it! Like you said, in the same vein as the Purge\Crank\Belko Experiment...

who is that girl? splitting image of Margot Robbie.....google'd her, her name is Samara Weaving....very nice!
She's Agent Smith's niece!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1720 posts
218 upvotes
Red Deer
Took our 10 year old to see Wonder last night, it was great, theater was packed.
Nov 15, 2004
403 posts
79 upvotes
Wind River - Good murder mystery set in wintery Wyoming. A difficult and heartbreaking movie to watch, especially more so if you are parents to (a) daughter(s).
Mar 24, 2015
585 posts
126 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Lucky Logan. Enjoyed the movie and found it quite funny at times.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1845 posts
224 upvotes
In another world
Wind River.
Was a bit slow at the beginning, however that helped capture the emotions involved in such horrendous crime. leading to the dramatic finale, considering it was based on a true story.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1845 posts
224 upvotes
In another world
The Hateful Eight.
Although the slow pace, it has an excellent cast and the acting is great.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16386 posts
1096 upvotes
Woodbridge
Logan Lucky on iTunes.

I bought G.I. Jane and Crimson Tide on Google Play with my 50% off coupons.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10210 posts
747 upvotes
Mississauga
newt_101 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:16 am
I saw 2 flicks recently that aren't for everyone but if their individual vibes suit you, they are both very satisfying:

Mayhem - This stars The Walking Dead's Yeun and a Margot Robbie look-a-like in an over the top Purge/Crank/Belko Experiment hybrid about office workers going nuts. Fun popcorn flick.

Creep - Found-footage thriller (non-shaky camera) about a really creepy (sorry, couldn't find a better word to describe him) guy asking a stranger to film his life. It's a slow-burn, but Duplass's performance is solid and the payout is really good.
Samara Weaving is an amazing find! She is great in Netflix's horror comedy The Babysitter that I recently saw. Not only beautiful, but a damn good actress too. I look forward to seeing her in future projects.

Creep was definitely creepy. Creep 2 just came out a month ago as well.
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 9:51 pm
Three billboards outside... Frances McDormand was brilliant, I loved it all

Between that and The Florida Project, these are definitely the top two films of the year for me.
I just saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri today. It won the top prize at TIFF a couple months ago. It was a terrific movie that alternated between heart-wrenching drama and black comedy. They should just carve Frances McDormand's name on the Best Actress Oscar now. She was phenomenal!

Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5600 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 6:56 pm
I just saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri today. It won the top prize at TIFF a couple months ago. It was a terrific movie that alternated between heart-wrenching drama and black comedy. They should just carve Frances McDormand's name on the Best Actress Oscar now. She was phenomenal!

+ That film floored me. It was so amazing. This was up there with In Bruges for McDonagh's best.
I wonder if we were in the same theatre? (I go to Eglinton Town Centre these days just cause it's never sold out and parking is easy, and snack up at Wal Mart and Dollarama nearby) Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I also decided to catch a second flick: Wonder
Performances, direction and the form the story was told in were all great - it felt authentic and hit quite a few emotional wallops.
My only beef was as it was done by the same director/writer as 'Perks of Being a Wallflower' it followed a very similar vibe and the closing monologue scene felt almost identical to his first movie.
If Perks wasn't one of my favourite movies of recent years, I would have given this a near perfect score but the originality was missing.

Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10210 posts
747 upvotes
Mississauga
newt_101 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 7:13 pm
+ That film floored me. It was so amazing. This was up there with In Bruges for McDonagh's best.
I wonder if we were in the same theatre? (I go to Eglinton Town Centre these days just cause it's never sold out and parking is easy, and snack up at Wal Mart and Dollarama nearby) Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I also decided to catch a second flick: Wonder
Performances, direction and the form the story was told in were all great - it felt authentic and hit quite a few emotional wallops.
My only beef was as it was done by the same director/writer as 'Perks of Being a Wallflower' it followed a very similar vibe and the closing monologue scene felt almost identical to his first movie.
If Perks wasn't one of my favourite movies of recent years, I would have given this a near perfect score but the originality was missing.
I saw Three Billboards at the Cineplex Winston Churchill in Oakville. It's a really good location. Due to its 24 screens, it often shows artsier movies along with the blockbusters, which makes it easier for this suburban dweller to see such movies instead of schlepping myself all the way downtown.

I've been avoiding Wonder as it looks like a Hallmark movie, but I didn't know it was from the director of Perks, which I also loved. I'll have to check it out.
Last edited by Talamasca on Nov 26th, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5600 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 7:39 pm
I saw Three Billboards at the Cineplex Winston Churchill in Oakville. It's a really good location. Due to its 24 screens, it often shows artsier movies along with the blockbusters, which makes it easier for this suburban dweller to see such movies instead of schlepping myself all the way downtown.

I've been avoiding Wonder as it looks like a Hallmark movie, but I didn't know it was from the director of Perks, which I also loved. I'll have to check it out.
I need to check that place out next time I'm passing through the west end.

You won't be disappointed in Wonder if you liked Perks for sure!