Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 8:56 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1845 posts
224 upvotes
In another world
dazz wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 10:32 pm
Look into Better Watch Out, if you liked The Babysitter. Both are similarly great comedy horror movies.
I saw Better Watch Out last night. I found it not as funny as The Babysitter (except for the dialog between the parents Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes).
But the plot caught me by surprise.
For a funnier movie I recommend Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1674 posts
495 upvotes
gontori wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 11:23 am
I saw Better Watch Out last night. I found it not as funny as The Babysitter (except for the dialog between the parents Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes).
But the plot caught me by surprise.
For a funnier movie I recommend Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.
What a coincidence as I watched this last night as well. I didn't really find it funny but it was a movie with an unexpected protagonist. Not a bad flick.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2118 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
Brawl is Cellblock 99.

Lets just say I did not expect this to be any good, but once I got past the look of Vince Vaughan from Old School, it was all good :)
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1720 posts
218 upvotes
Red Deer
My wife and I really enjoyed Wind River, although there's a good stretch in the middle where I had a tough time keeping my eyes open.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10210 posts
747 upvotes
Mississauga
carmaster wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 7:09 pm
Prisoners
Great movie, and the cinematography by the legendary Roger Deakins is astonishing. You wouldn't expect a drama set in the suburbs during winter to be a great-looking movie, but Prisoners looks exceptional.
Rob76 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:40 pm
My wife and I really enjoyed Wind River, although there's a good stretch in the middle where I had a tough time keeping my eyes open.
Have you seen Hell or High Water, from the same writer as Wind River? I liked HoHW, but it's not a movie I would watch again. It is glacially-paced.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1720 posts
218 upvotes
Red Deer
Talamasca wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 1:35 pm
Have you seen Hell or High Water, from the same writer as Wind River? I liked HoHW, but it's not a movie I would watch again. It is glacially-paced.
Funny you should mention that. I actually tried watching it a while ago and thought it was a little too slow so I didn't finished it. I do plan on watching it soon, I think it's on Netflix now if I'm not mistaken.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5600 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Rob76 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:40 pm
Have you seen Hell or High Water, from the same writer as Wind River? I liked HoHW, but it's not a movie I would watch again. It is glacially-paced.[/quote]
Rob76 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:06 pm
Funny you should mention that. I actually tried watching it a while ago and thought it was a little too slow so I didn't finished it. I do plan on watching it soon, I think it's on Netflix now if I'm not mistaken.
Hell or High Water was one of my very favourite movies from last year.
I didn't find it slow at all, but then again people found Wind River slow too :S

I think it's something about extreme climates (in these cases ice/snow or desert/barren areas) that put in the right cinematographer's hands does wonders for me.
Perhaps it's why Thelma and Louise and Fargo are always some of my top movies.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10210 posts
747 upvotes
Mississauga
newt_101 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:12 am
I think it's something about extreme climates (in these cases ice/snow or desert/barren areas) that put in the right cinematographer's hands does wonders for me.
Perhaps it's why Thelma and Louise and Fargo are always some of my top movies.
Probably my favourite movie set in an extreme setting is A Simple Plan with Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton and Bridget Fonda. Three guys find a bag of cash in the woods and conspire to keep it, and it all goes to hell. Amazing movie.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5600 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Talamasca wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:32 am
Probably my favourite movie set in an extreme setting is A Simple Plan with Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton and Bridget Fonda. Three guys find a bag of cash in the woods and conspire to keep it, and it all goes to hell. Amazing movie.
Seriously. One of the very best.
That scene towards the end when Paxton is buying time in the cop's office is so intense.
And the montage of scenes when things go 'back to normal'.

I wish Raimi did more stuff like that instead of ...

Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1845 posts
224 upvotes
In another world
Talamasca wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:32 am
For extreme settings, TheFrozen Ground is not that bad.
And one that I like is 30 Days of Night.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5600 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
gontori wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:19 pm
For extreme settings, TheFrozen Ground is not that bad.
And one that I like is 30 Days of Night.
For best 'winter' movies, other than what Talamasca/myself mentioned above, I'd also add:

Insomnia
Groundhog Day
Shining
Winter's Bone
Misery
Edward Scissorhands
March of the Penguins
Frozen (2010 - not the Disney one)
The Grey
The Thing
Alive
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1845 posts
224 upvotes
In another world
newt_101 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:56 pm
For best 'winter' movies, other than what Talamasca/myself mentioned above, I'd also add:

Insomnia
Groundhog Day
Shining
Winter's Bone
Misery
Edward Scissorhands
March of the Penguins
Frozen (2010 - not the Disney one)
The Grey
The Thing
Alive
I'd also add:
Everest
The Revenant (the cinematography is amazing!)
The Edge (1997)

I didn't like The Grey though.