Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:10 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3948 posts
1380 upvotes
Vancouver
Needed to use up some Telus optik tv free rental coupons so watched the following over the weekend:

Minari - Totally slept on this one when it first came out and during its awards run. Really compelling move... really enjoyed it! Good acting all around.

Pig - I'm not a big Nicolas Cage fan but this was an interesting movie where he plays a truffle farmer living in the wilderness whose truffle pig gets kidnapped and he has go to Portland to find his pig. Gave me John Wick (first installment) vibes where John went on a rampage to avenge is puppy. But alas, no, Pig was not an action movie... lol. I enjoyed it!
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47029 posts
9312 upvotes
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard.

Some parts were predictable such as Morgan Freeman being a bad guy. SPOILER ALERT

Also not a fan of Antonio Banderas playing a Greek character. They should have got an actual Greek actor.
Blanka
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25988 posts
10380 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: I remember tuning into Where Eagles Dare way back when by mistake on TCM by fluke.. Fantastic movie.
If you had time you should have added Kelly's Heroes. I pull that one out every couple months to rewatch it. It had a very troubling production though which ended up making Clint Eastwood start his own company so the studios could never do that again to him...
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: Another vote for Promising Young Woman.

Was entertained throughout & didn’t see that ending coming, good stuff!

Really interesting movie. I was NOT aware of it, so I didn't know what to expect. I did not watch the trailer either.

I thought it was going to be a "revenge trope" movie. Obviously, the main character has been victimized somehow, and we are going to watch her revenge, it may get violent, clever, gritty, etc. etc. and at the same time we get to see some flashbacks showing us what actually happened.

In other words, I was expecting a regular movie. And there is nothing wrong with revenge movies, many of them are excellent. Mad Max, Death Wish, Old Boy, etc. all the way to "I Spit on Your Grave", etc. etc. etc.

But this one was excellent, very original, and a conversation-starter. It avoided the traditional formulas.

In the bonus material in the bluray, the director explains that she was trying to walk the line between comedy and thriller.

I'm not sure how much of either the movie is, but I agree it is something that defies conventional genres.

hierophant wrote:
"Promising Young Woman" - not what I was expecting at all. I enjoyed it but the ending was a bit dumb and convenient. I also don't think it does much to prevent sexual assault if that was the intent.
PlainDealer wrote:
* My favourite Best Pic nominee is still Promising Young Woman, which I thought was phenomenal. The only other nominated film I've seen was Nomadland, which places is a really really distant third from the other two.
Talamasca wrote: I recently rented "Promising Young Woman" and really loved it. It's a very bold, daring movie, especially for a directorial debut. Carey Mulligan is absolutely fantastic. Be warned that it can be a very tough watch.
1022 posts
2153 upvotes
Alberta
I've been watching action movies that'll keep my attention like John Wick / Mission: Impossible films.

I watched Upgrade and it was a lot of fun and very interesting. I've never seen much of Logan Marshall-Green but his performance was awesome. It has great fight scenes, a car chase and I liked the sci-fi technology of everything.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
One of the most powerful and thought provoking movies as of late.

What Maisie Knew
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
3873 posts
1874 upvotes
Toronto
Director Yim Ho's Floating City was pretty good. Currently streaming on Prime Video. The Blu-ray is a little hard to come by.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10990 posts
13540 upvotes
The Donut King

A documentary I found on Hoopla.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Feb 24, 2018
967 posts
687 upvotes
Our Friend (2021) - Very good

Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939) - Decent

Michael Clayton (2007) - Great

Batman: The Long Halloween Pt 2 (2021) - Good

Picnic At Hanging Rock (1975) - Good

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977) - Great

Wake In Fright (1971) - Good

The Suicide Squad (2021) - Very good
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
hierophant wrote: "The Little Things". Did this film get mentioned? I'm surprised if it hasn't. Jared Leto was amazing! I don't get Rami Malek's facial gestures - I'm not sure if he does this in all of his films but it's off putting...in made sense in Bohemian Rhapsody as Freddie Mercury but not in this film. Denzel is always great IMO.

I am catching up. The little things - very cool movie... but full of cliches.

It is super satisfying to see Denzel / Malek / Jared Leto together. For example, some of the dialogue is corny, but these guys can deliver any line and make it work. Their performances make the movie. I could easily watch these guys do their thing for 3 hours.

However, it is all about cliches. The Serial Killer of prostitutes that is also the Chess Master (criminal mastermind always one step ahead of the police). OK, whatever.

The "Old Cop, Young Cop" - there is an older, wiser cop (but he was burnt out by work, and a case he could not solve) who is returning... and teams up with a younger cop, who is a raising star (and also a Sharp-Dressed Man)... a situation that at some moments is VERY SIMILAR to Somerset and Mills from Se7en movie.

The older cop is all alone in the world, the younger cops has a family... etc. The younger one gets progressively more emotional, older cop is cool and always have a plan, etc.

Once we have been introduced to the characters, we have a "police procedural"... how the clues reveal the suspect...

NOT TO MENTION that the ending did not work for me (IMHO). Are they making a second movie?

Still, definitely worth a watch.
7138 upvotes
motomondo wrote: I am catching up. The little things - very cool movie... but full of cliches.

It is super satisfying to see Denzel / Malek / Jared Leto together. For example, some of the dialogue is corny, but these guys can deliver any line and make it work. Their performances make the movie. I could easily watch these guys do their thing for 3 hours.

However, it is all about cliches. The Serial Killer of prostitutes that is also the Chess Master (criminal mastermind always one step ahead of the police). OK, whatever.

The "Old Cop, Young Cop" - there is an older, wiser cop (but he was burnt out by work, and a case he could not solve) who is returning... and teams up with a younger cop, who is a raising star (and also a Sharp-Dressed Man)... a situation that at some moments is VERY SIMILAR to Somerset and Mills from Se7en movie.

The older cop is all alone in the world, the younger cops has a family... etc. The younger one gets progressively more emotional, older cop is cool and always have a plan, etc.

Once we have been introduced to the characters, we have a "police procedural"... how the clues reveal the suspect...

NOT TO MENTION that the ending did not work for me (IMHO). Are they making a second movie?

Still, definitely worth a watch.
I agree with your analysis - despite the tired old cliches the 3 actors make it work and is quite enjoyable.

Edit: also this movie is based in 1990s - I think the cliches fit the time period that it almost isn't noticeable or maybe is expected. I also agree the ending leaves you hanging.
Last edited by hierophant on Aug 26th, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1386 posts
1102 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
The 1997 remake of 12 Angry Men
Dec 14, 2016
914 posts
949 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
Till Death - watched on VOD

The pandemic really threw a wrench into the making of this movie. You figure that a movie shot in Bulgaria would be perfect if the story calls for a snowbound setting out in the middle of nowhere. Well, thanks to COVID-19, the schedule got messed up and this film had to be made during the Bulgarian summer, which meant that the crew had to get creative to make everything snow covered.

Given the obviously limited budget of this movie, the production designers deserve all the credit in the world for creating a believeable snowscape. I don't know about anyone else, but I had no idea that the wintry setting was entirely manufactured until I read an interview with the director after seeing the movie.

I bring up the summer shoot because I wonder if that's the reason the filmmakers seem to forget about what happens when someone starts trudging through a couple of feet of snow with no shoes. There's a Canadian horror movie from the '70s in which a group of friends doing a hike have their boots stolen, which causes them all sorts of misery. They at least went camping in the summer and didn't have to deal with running around on freezing wet stuff in bare feet.

Then there's the issue of tracks. Till Death, coincidentally, is only one of a couple of movies I've seen recently where the filmmakers seem to forget that people running through deep snow results in a trail. Same thing applies when you come indoors: your snow-covered feet are going to leave wet footprints, which IIRC the bad guys clue into just once. I just wonder if shooting this movie in the summer made director S.K. Dale forget about details like this, or if the screenwriter just realized that highly visible tracks would end the cat-and-mouse game rather quickly and had to ignore them.

I don't think Megan Fox's limited acting chops helped. Yes, she shivers at times, but someone in just a shirt and a pair of pants should have a much more severe reaction to the temperature when forced to run and roll around in snow and ice. Fox isn't phoning it in as far as I can tell, but she's just not there in terms of experience.

If you can look past these shortcomings (and from what I've seen, it appears most people have) then Till Death is a passable thriller that goes as far as it can using a pretty attention-grabbing premise. The movie also has the advantage of clocking in at less than 90 minutes if you don't want to sit through the credits. I definitely have reservations, but Till Death does enough right that I have to consider it good.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47029 posts
9312 upvotes
The Karate Kid - Old and "new" versions.
Blanka
Feb 21, 2007
907 posts
787 upvotes
djemzine wrote: The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard.

Some parts were predictable such as Morgan Freeman being a bad guy. SPOILER ALERT

Also not a fan of Antonio Banderas playing a Greek character. They should have got an actual Greek actor.
Do'h! You don't say "SPOILER ALERT" AFTER you spoiled it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4830 upvotes
We are going to see a Keanu Reeve's classic tonight "SPEED" at a free outdoor screening at Fort York. Tickets are available at the link below if anyone is interested in doing something fun on a Friday summer night. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

https://www.topictureshow.com/speed
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Candyman (2021)

I was struggling to decide if this belonged in the good vs. bad thread.
The original Candyman (ignore all the other crappy sequels) is one of my top horror flicks and holds a special place in my heart - I also think it holds up quite well almost 30 (!) years later.

The latest sequel, err. homage, err, reboot is a mixed bag.
It's well-shot and acted, is directly tied to the original, has a whole social/racial spin going on that does say something somewhat substantial (I feel like anything Peele touches does this) and has a few of the original actors back in very limited roles.
Unfortunately, it's not scary, doesn't have the phenomenal musical score from Glass, is emotionless, and just feels messy and overdone.

All in all, still worth a watch.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1770 posts
1902 upvotes
Toronto
Just watched "The Tenant", a bollywood movie. Pretty good in my opinion. No subtitles needed, the script was in English
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote: Candyman (2021)

I was struggling to decide if this belonged in the good vs. bad thread.
The original Candyman (ignore all the other crappy sequels) is one of my top horror flicks and holds a special place in my heart - I also think it holds up quite well almost 30 (!) years later.

The latest sequel, err. homage, err, reboot is a mixed bag.
It's well-shot and acted, is directly tied to the original, has a whole social/racial spin going on that does say something somewhat substantial (I feel like anything Peele touches does this) and has a few of the original actors back in very limited roles.
Unfortunately, it's not scary, doesn't have the phenomenal musical score from Glass, is emotionless, and just feels messy and overdone.

All in all, still worth a watch.
Candyman has been referred to as a 'legacyquel,' which per the almighty Urban Dictionary, is a film "where an aging star(s) reprises a classic role and passes the torch to a younger successor."

'Candyman' Clip Reveals the New Film's Connection to the Original Movie
The film looks to be a true 'legacyquel.'
Destiny is all

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)