Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 1:06 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2224 posts
258 upvotes
Mississauga
DiceMan wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 11:27 pm
I had a lot of fun with Get Out, as well. But do you think it's a Best Picture movie? I was surprised when it was nominated for the Oscars.
This was one of the absolute worse movies I have seen in a while. Watched because of the hype. Posted about it in the "other" thread :)
Jr. Member
Apr 29, 2017
146 posts
34 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 4:48 pm
This was one of the absolute worse movies I have seen in a while. Watched because of the hype. Posted about it in the "other" thread :)
I was entertained by it until it turned to crap at some point I can't really pinpoint.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6254 posts
1440 upvotes
I finally watched Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049.
I did not like the first Blade Runner but I liked Blade Runner 2049, which released in 2017.

I never watched Blade Runner up until this point partly because
it is an old movie made years before I was born.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 16, 2002
14346 posts
10096 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 9:47 am
I never watched Blade Runner up until this point partly because
it is an old movie made years before I was born.
you know a lot of great stuff was made before you were born (movies, books, plays, music...)
NIMBY = "My neighbour has just pulled out in his Tesla. I can't imagine he is very happy at the thought that somebody might, out of, let's say jealousy, or whatever, feel obliged to graffiti his car,"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6254 posts
1440 upvotes
Older movies tend to not hold up well. I watched the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton as Batman
this weekend for the first time and it was not very good IMO.

One very old movie that holds up well is 12 Angry Men. Was forced to watch it at school once for some odd reason.
When they would show old movies like Willy Wonka, Frosty the Snowman or The Grinch I disliked those movies.
sprung wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:08 am
you know a lot of great stuff was made before you were born (movies, books, plays, music...)
Last edited by XFactor11 on Feb 5th, 2018 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 24, 2004
5701 posts
764 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
sprung wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:08 am
you know a lot of great stuff was made before you were born (movies, books, plays, music...)
I think it might be a generational thing.
I was born in '79 and can appreciate anything from the 1920s until now, but I will say this

- If a story has been re-told time and time again, and you've seen the latest version of it, the original seems boring in comparison, even though it was miles ahead of what concept they came up with now.
- Many of us have a nostalgic love for things that we saw as a child, but not as many things still hold up if you watch it with someone who hasn't never seen it before.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 24, 2004
5701 posts
764 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
XFactor11 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 11:14 am
Older movies tend to not hold up well. I watched the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton as Batman
this weekend for the first time and it was not very good IMO.

One very old movie that holds up well is 12 Angry Men. Was forced to watch it at school once for some odd reason.
When they would show old movies like Willy Wonka, Frosty the Snowman or The Grinch I disliked those movies.
This is where you're wrong sir.
The original Willy Wonka is a classic - absolute pure imagination - the Burton version was utter shit.
And try not to 'be forced' to watch movies that should be entertainment compared to all the CGI-crap that makes all the big money in theatres these days.
It's like when you like cheap beer as a teen, and then progress up to quality imports - tastes should be refined and redefined.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9752 posts
902 upvotes
RFD
I just saw and can recommend the movie: Goodbye Christopher Robin, despite what Rotten Tomatoes says
Jr. Member
Apr 29, 2017
146 posts
34 upvotes
If you love movies eventually you will run out of good modern ones and have to go back pre 2000. I recently started this and it's a tough transition but there are a great older movies.
Jr. Member
Apr 29, 2017
146 posts
34 upvotes
Speaking of old movies I rewatched one anyone who likes war movies would enjoy. It's from 1957? I believe but has aged very well, paths of glory. The lead actor is still alive so it can't be that old.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 24, 2004
5701 posts
764 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Mitts87 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 4:01 pm
Speaking of old movies I rewatched one anyone who likes war movies would enjoy. It's from 1957? I believe but has aged very well, paths of glory. The lead actor is still alive so it can't be that old.
Kubrick's films will always stand the test of time.
If you haven't watched his movie from the year before - 'The Killing' - get on that!

Top