Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2018 10:23 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1528 posts
378 upvotes
In January, I finally got around to watching David Lynch's 2001 film "Mulholland Drive". I regret that it took me that long to get around to watching this brilliant masterpiece. I'm glad that I did see the movie on a big screen at U of T's Innis College film auditorium instead of on home video.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8904 posts
1482 upvotes
兩最大
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 9:39 pm
In January, I finally got around to watching David Lynch's 2001 film "Mulholland Drive". I regret that it took me that long to get around to watching this brilliant masterpiece. I'm glad that I did see the movie on a big screen at U of T's Innis College film auditorium instead of on home video.
Funny enough that beggar jump scene was one of the scariest 'shock' scenes IMO lol.

Fun fact: that actress playing the beggar is Valak from that Conjuring movie.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6013 posts
892 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
tranquility922 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 9:55 pm
Funny enough that beggar jump scene was one of the scariest 'shock' scenes IMO lol.
That scene is still one of the scariest scenes I've seen in forever.
Kind of reminds me of the final scene in 'Don't Look Now' - equally as horrifying.

For Lynch's newer movies, I'm not sure if I like Mulholland or 'Lost Highway' more - both of them are light-years away from his essence in 'The Straight Story'
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2059 posts
264 upvotes
In another world
XFactor11 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 11:14 am
Older movies tend to not hold up well. I watched the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton as Batman
this weekend for the first time and it was not very good IMO.

One very old movie that holds up well is 12 Angry Men. Was forced to watch it at school once for some odd reason.
When they would show old movies like Willy Wonka, Frosty the Snowman or The Grinch I disliked those movies.
I disagree.
Movies like the first 3 released StarWars movies were way ahead of their time in regards of special effects, using props, mockups, etc. Nowadays much of the visual effects are done in CGI.
But most of all, the acting was much much better. There will only be one Darth Vader (voiced by the great James Earl Jones), and so many more characters will be greately missed.
There's so much more joy brought by watching our favourite characters appearing in more recent movie versions than watching newer actors.
But who knows? Maybe my 7 year old son will have more joy by watching Kylo Ren reappearing in StarWars Episode XXV than me.
Apr 29, 2017
239 posts
56 upvotes
Did anyone see phantom thread and think it's worth watching?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6013 posts
892 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Mitts87 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 11:17 am
Did anyone see phantom thread and think it's worth watching?
I'm going to assume it's a worthy watch, simply because I think Paul Thomas Anderson is one of the best directors working in Hollywood these days and whatever he does is always interesting. Will report when I do watch it.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
15529 posts
12044 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 9:39 pm
I'm glad that I did see the movie on a big screen at U of T's Innis College film auditorium instead of on home video.
Yeah. Love that place. Checking out the upcoming free screenings there of 'Ali' (Feb 16), 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' (Feb 23), and 'Mustang' (Mar 12).

They usually host a free Oscar viewing party too so stay tuned for that info
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2436 posts
369 upvotes
Mississauga
Dunkirk.
What got me interested in seeing it, was recently seeing Darkest Hour and the reference to the situation there.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2059 posts
264 upvotes
In another world
Brawl in Cell Block 99
A raw movie, with a Vince Vaughn great performance. Not a lot of action but with strong fighting scenes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6013 posts
892 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
gontori wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 2:24 pm
Brawl in Cell Block 99
A raw movie, with a Vince Vaughn great performance. Not a lot of action but with strong fighting scenes.
**** love that movie and I've been recommending it to everyone since I saw it in September.
It's the definition of a pulp action man's man's flick with an awesome soundtrack.
Apr 29, 2017
239 posts
56 upvotes
Emperor is good, if you like history and Japan, about the Americans deciding if he was a war criminal after WW2.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3753 posts
334 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 12:49 pm
Dunkirk.
What got me interested in seeing it, was recently seeing Darkest Hour and the reference to the situation there.
Which one did you prefer?
Feb 6, 2018
40 posts
5 upvotes
Murder On The Orient Express. A good movie though the original is better.