Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2018 1:52 pm
Tags:
Feb 7, 2018
153 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto ON
"Good" is very subjective. And I tend to orbit mostly around old movies, since it is more rare to be a new movie to pick my attention. Also I don't think this thread specifies movie genre, so I guess documentaries are included as well. And speaking of documentaries, there are new and very good ones, Netflix have some of them:

- The toys that made us (December 2017 - fresh new docu series)

Only bad is - they have only the first 4 episodes and format is like 50 minutes per episode. Otherwise, these are thrilling docu series. Every episode is dedicated to an iconic toy line from our childhood: Barbie, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Star Wars and GI Joe. So far only these, with the Barbie episode being most thrilling. Consider I am a man to say this, but thing is I love watching movies about some great business deal and few people competing for it, trying to steal from each other ideas, trying to be the first, court battles... So Barbie episode is showing such things, since it appears to have lots of mysteries and hot peppers in the Barbie history. I will not post spoilers, but some things around Barbie were a bit shocking. Glad I don't have a daughter.

Speaking of series, last night saw first episode on Netflix on "Altered Carbon", so this is the last real good series I've seen. While it is scifi, it appears to be just a police thriller and maybe sorta like Bladerunner meets The Demolition Man.

If we have to talk full-length movies, I am damn thankful to Cineplex for showing last week "Dune" (David Lynch's cut 1984) in theaters. One of my very very fav movies since I was teen (now forties) and owned it in every possible format - VHS, digital, DVD, BD and just now first time had the chance to see it in a theater. So much enjoyment. I regret I had to miss the theater screening of "War Games" and "Terminator" but no choice of family duties...
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2519 posts
415 upvotes
Mississauga
Typhoonz wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 11:38 pm
Which one did you prefer?
I liked both for different reasons. But I would say Darkest Hour. Believe it or not, it has more "action" than Dunkirk. Dunkirk is more of a cinematic experience.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3757 posts
339 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 12:09 pm
I liked both for different reasons. But I would say Darkest Hour. Believe it or not, it has more "action" than Dunkirk. Dunkirk is more of a cinematic experience.
Agreed. I really didn't like Dunkirk.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4712 posts
769 upvotes
Thornhill
Mother! was absolutely awesome. You either love it or hate it. For people who like movies where deep thinking and understanding is involved. Seems like most people just don't get what was happening in the movie for some reason.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7420 posts
1271 upvotes
????
Justice League
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300 300Mbps unlimited $25
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1612 posts
139 upvotes
ginoisselling wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 10:23 am
"Good" is very subjective. And I tend to orbit mostly around old movies, since it is more rare to be a new movie to pick my attention. Also I don't think this thread specifies movie genre, so I guess documentaries are included as well. And speaking of documentaries, there are new and very good ones, Netflix have some of them:

- The toys that made us (December 2017 - fresh new docu series)

Only bad is - they have only the first 4 episodes and format is like 50 minutes per episode. Otherwise, these are thrilling docu series. Every episode is dedicated to an iconic toy line from our childhood: Barbie, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Star Wars and GI Joe. So far only these, with the Barbie episode being most thrilling. Consider I am a man to say this, but thing is I love watching movies about some great business deal and few people competing for it, trying to steal from each other ideas, trying to be the first, court battles... So Barbie episode is showing such things, since it appears to have lots of mysteries and hot peppers in the Barbie history. I will not post spoilers, but some things around Barbie were a bit shocking. Glad I don't have a daughter.

Speaking of series, last night saw first episode on Netflix on "Altered Carbon", so this is the last real good series I've seen. While it is scifi, it appears to be just a police thriller and maybe sorta like Bladerunner meets The Demolition Man.

If we have to talk full-length movies, I am damn thankful to Cineplex for showing last week "Dune" (David Lynch's cut 1984) in theaters. One of my very very fav movies since I was teen (now forties) and owned it in every possible format - VHS, digital, DVD, BD and just now first time had the chance to see it in a theater. So much enjoyment. I regret I had to miss the theater screening of "War Games" and "Terminator" but no choice of family duties...
I saw that you documentary over the holidays and it was very informative. I hope they make a second season on the import toy scene.
Sep 30, 2001
27122 posts
6079 upvotes
Toronto
the shape of water
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3238 posts
357 upvotes
Creed, incredible performances by Michael B. Jordan and Sly Stallone. Can’t wait to see him as Killmonger.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated July 2018
Feb 7, 2018
153 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto ON
tinlun wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 10:01 pm
I saw that you documentary over the holidays and it was very informative. I hope they make a second season on the import toy scene.
Today just read an interview with the producer. He said the other 4 episodes are still in production. They are themed "Hello kitty", "Transformers", "Star Trek" and "LEGO". We also push very much for a HotWheels themed episode, if they get funding for second season.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1612 posts
139 upvotes
ginoisselling wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 3:47 pm
Today just read an interview with the producer. He said the other 4 episodes are still in production. They are themed "Hello kitty", "Transformers", "Star Trek" and "LEGO". We also push very much for a HotWheels themed episode, if they get funding for second season.

Looking forward to it. Wished they mention Bandaid SH Figuarts Star Wars line too. I reckon mentions of their 3D face printing technology woulda been covered.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1023 posts
306 upvotes
5 Cementers Per Second. It still blows me away every time I watch it. An absolute masterpiece
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2091 posts
268 upvotes
In another world
The Ritual.
A similar movie to Blair Witch, but much much better, wihout the found footage or shaky camera style that gets obnoxious after a while.