Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 11:28 pm
Tags:
Nov 14, 2001
770 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
Black Panther. Definitely worth the hype. 3D was not as good. Could be better without 3D.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6062 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Bone Tomahawk

This is a movie that didn't get the recognition it deserves when it was released.

For those looking for something a bit different - and if you stick through the slow-burn you will be in for some surprises.
It's a solid western about a handful of guys attempting to rescue some villagers who were taken from the town but then it does a 180 and the last third turns into a very graphic/violent part of the story.

This is from the same guy behind last year's most excellent Brawl in Cell Block 99.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6062 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
A Man Escaped

I love when something that's old (+60 years) still has so much power today.
This is a tense WWII prison-escape film with excellent narration, sound editing and simplistic depth.
This is a true classic.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5142 posts
1408 upvotes
Space
Only the brave. I’m way behind in my backlog but man this movie was great. Bone Tomahawk was a good one as well.
Dec 23, 2015
437 posts
380 upvotes
newt_101 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 9:43 pm

This is a movie that didn't get the recognition it deserves when it was released.

For those looking for something a bit different - and if you stick through the slow-burn you will be in for some surprises.
It's a solid western about a handful of guys attempting to rescue some villagers who were taken from the town but then it does a 180 and the last third turns into a very graphic/violent part of the story.

This is from the same guy behind last year's most excellent Brawl in Cell Block 99.
I could think of anything I didn't like enough to put in the last bad movie thread but thanks for reminding me.
After seeing "Forsaken" , a modern western that was a pretty enjoyable movie I decided to try my luck with the genre again and watch Bone Tomahawk.

It was ok for the first half or better then it just turned into some weird sci-fi B movie. Don't get me wrong I'm all for unexpected turns and even weirdness and tolerate gratuitous violence if it enhances the film in any way but Bone Tomahawk just had me shaking my head and muttering WTF ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6062 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
6060842 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 1:26 pm
I could think of anything I didn't like enough to put in the last bad movie thread but thanks for reminding me.
After seeing "Forsaken" , a modern western that was a pretty enjoyable movie I decided to try my luck with the genre again and watch Bone Tomahawk.

It was ok for the first half or better then it just turned into some weird sci-fi B movie. Don't get me wrong I'm all for unexpected turns and even weirdness and tolerate gratuitous violence if it enhances the film in any way but Bone Tomahawk just had me shaking my head and muttering WTF ?
I sort of suggested that it might be different and had surprises in stores for viewers they might be expecting.
It takes a slow Western and then spins it around and shakes it violently towards the last 1/3 and offers a crazy portion to the story.
Nice to see movies that break the mould.

If you ever care to watch the director's other flick I mentioned it sort of takes the same approach but as it's a prison-drama type of film perhaps that's easier to see coming.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1594 posts
134 upvotes
Dare Ya (The LMF documentary)

Haven't seen it in years but this documentary focuses on the Lazy Mother F**kers, a hip hop group from Hong Kong. Otherwise known as LMF.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6062 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Wheelman

This is definitely worth a watch.
Take a supporting actor + place him in a staring role in a quality B-movie + make the run-time short (< 90mins) = high-octane fun crime thriller.
Similar to Buried, Phone Booth, Locke, etc... - this movie takes place for the most part in one location with one actor.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16948 posts
1398 upvotes
Woodbridge
Forgot to post.

THE BIG SICK

In flight to Philippines. Back in February 4. LOL

I did pay attention to when it came out in theatres. Cast is unknown to me but they pulled it off. Amazing movie.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3703 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
Jumanji Welcome To The Jungle was funny and entertaining.