Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2018 11:38 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1091 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
I enjoyed “What happened to Monday?”. Had no expectations going in.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9381 posts
1639 upvotes
Montréal
kasm wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 4:00 pm
I enjoyed “What happened to Monday?”. Had no expectations going in.
Yup, good movie, great actress.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9381 posts
1639 upvotes
Montréal
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1773753/

Pretty decent horror flick.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1994 posts
1054 upvotes
Toronto
I maybe the only one here that likes the new Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom movie. I'm a sucker for those dinos!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Apr 25, 2017
32 posts
101 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Midnight Express (1978)

Based on a story about an American sent to Turkish prison for smuggling hash. Was good, not great, but made all the more better by Giorgio Moroder's score (if you like electronic)

Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9381 posts
1639 upvotes
Montréal
BananaBread29 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 12:01 pm
Midnight Express (1978)

Based on a story about an American sent to Turkish prison for smuggling hash. Was good, not great, but made all the more better by Giorgio Moroder's score (if you like electronic)

Haha, that somehow reminded me of this movie. Scared me when I was a kid :D

If any movie's itching for a remake, it's this:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068713/
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6092 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
BananaBread29 wrote:
Midnight Express (1978)

The opening scene of the drug bust is one of the most intense I've seen in a long time - other than that part the movie is quite above average and still holds up very well after so many years.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1606 posts
138 upvotes
BananaBread29 wrote:
Midnight Express (1978)

I only recognize Giorgio Moroder for his work on Scarface.

Didn't watch much over the weekend but I liked the live action Bleach movie.
Dec 23, 2015
456 posts
397 upvotes
BlacKkKlansman is the most recent good movie i watched but American Animals is one that i saw recently that is enjoyable and might fly under your good movie radar.

Oh , and ya Midnight Express is a classic.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2091 posts
268 upvotes
In another world
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 5:02 am

Another neat thriller. David Spade in a srs role!
David Spade looks creepy outside of his usual comedy roles... and James Earl Jones is there too!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2091 posts
268 upvotes
In another world
As the Gods Will.
A fun, captivating yet weird and bloody Japanese movie.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6092 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
BananaBread29 wrote:
Midnight Express (1978)

Btw if you liked this movie, another one that you'd enjoy is Return to Paradise
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8773 posts
2388 upvotes
Toronto

A Simple Favor

A twisty Hitchcockian thriller from Paul Feig, masquerading as a chick flick.
Dec 14, 2016
270 posts
43 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 1:46 pm
Haha, that somehow reminded me of this movie. Scared me when I was a kid :D

If any movie's itching for a remake, it's this:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068713/
Growing up in the GTA, I remember watching this on CityTV's Great Movies (now I'm dating myself). I quite enjoyed it and thought it was one of the better B-movies I had seen even without any kind of familiarity with the Hammer Films that Lee and Cushing made famous.

Looking back, the plot was actually pretty darned ambitious: a frozen missing link on board a Trans-Siberian train with rival anthropologists, spies, Cossacks, a monk who seems less enamoured with Christian philosophy than the powers of dark forces, and a formless killer with surprising abilities and a far-out agenda. It's a wonder that so much was crammed into this movie and that it worked even a little, never mind going on to become a cult classic.

I'm very wary of remakes because the modern versions of much-loved films usually miss the point of the original and are simply unable to capture the charm and appeal that made the source material so enjoyable. With this film in particular, there is just so much going on that if you were to include all the key details, it'd be really easy to screw up without some seriously talent to guide the ship (or train in this case). Also, we're talking about Lee, Cushing, Savalas, and Alberto de Mendoza's Rasputin-wannabe 'holy man' in the same film: how is a remake possibly going to come close to that?
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)