Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 11:55 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9381 posts
1639 upvotes
Montréal
tinlun wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 5:37 pm
The premise seemed interesting only to be plagued with a cheesy second half.
It's a shame. Not sure why it's so hard to make a decent horror film...What's so difficult vs other genres? Shouldn't it be easier? More formulaic, just check the boxes and I'm in.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Sep 20, 2018
8 posts
5 upvotes
I recently watched all movies by Duncan Jones. Moon and Source code were amazing in my opinion, his last one, Mute, is very strange, even chaotic I would say, but I liked it too.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20011 posts
1701 upvotes
Toronto
I liked Solo - surprised it did so poorly at the box office....

The story was simple but enjoyable and I liked how Han's background story was fleshed out. There was decent amount of action and visual effects were great! The movie ended with me wanting to see what happens with Kira and Darth Maul and Solo.....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6092 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Eighth Grade

This flick rightfully got a lot of acclaim in the film fest circuit, esp. for an unlikely director. Very refreshing to be told a story of a girl transitioning from middle to high school and all the challenges that go with it without Hollywood taking away its realism. It's heartbreaking and very well told. The young girl playing the lead is solid.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6041 posts
1586 upvotes
Upgrade ... 8/10. Basically Venom but instead of a symbiote it's a piece of tech. DAT ending though ...

Solo ... 7/10. It's not as bad as the box office numbers would suggest but it also isn't as good as Rogue One.
Nov 15, 2009
255 posts
26 upvotes
I did see Upgrade, found it was too predictable. You can tell what was going to happen in the end, who the enemy was going to turn out to be.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1743 posts
540 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Just watched Thank You For Your Service.
Wow, what a gut-wrenching movie at times. I never got off the couch once and even when the credits were playing along with the song Freedom Cadence by Bruce Springsteen, I just stood there in awe, or was it shock.
Four letters describe this movie: PTSD.
It follows a number of Army buddies when they return from Iraq and the hell they go through, in some ways worse then what they encountered in Iraq.
Some great acting too. One actor that impressed me was Amy Schumer who normally is a foul mouth comedian. Not this time. Just a grieving widow.
While watching it there were times I wanted to shut it off, seeing what these guys go through, as well as their spouses. How you never know who will die and who will live, and if they live will they be better off dead.
Not a lot of war scenes, but enough to give you an idea what lead up to the hell they faced when they returned home.

I believe it was on The Movie Network.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1984 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
Last time I was in a theater was back in July 2014 and that is the last time I watched any movie (I believe it was planet of the apes or something like that.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Dec 14, 2016
270 posts
43 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
Caught an advanced screening of A Star Is Born last night and quite enjoyed it. Cooper’s feature-length directorial debut is plenty impressive as he chose to tackle an atypical drama about fame and its toll on the people who achieve it.

The opening establishes right away that Jackson Maine (Cooper) is a rock star as we follow the musician as goes on stage. The scene really delivers since we get a feel of immediacy as the judiciously used hand-held camera circles Maine, making it seem as if we’re on stage with him and captures the energy and vibe of an actual rock concert. The opening also tells us right off the bat that Maine is a troubled man since the very first thing we see him do is pop pills just prior to going on stage; without going into spoilers, it would be fair to say his addictions will have a significant impact on the rock star.

Shortly after the opening, we meet the title character, Ally (Lady Gaga), a server at a drag bar who doubles as a singer. Maine is instantly taken by Ally’s remarkable voice and stage presence when he wanders into the bar looking for nothing more than a drink. This is the sort of coincidence that only happens in movies, but it gets the leads together, allowing them to move on to a rather memorable night on the town that involves an incident at a cop bar which leads to a search for a bag of frozen vegetables. (Trust me--it's some pretty great stuff.)

Lending very able support to the co-leads are Andrew Dice Clay as Lorenzo (Ally’s father) and Sam Elliott as Jackson’s brother Bobby. The former is surprisingly likeable in this film despite his continual insistence that success more often than not eludes those with natural talent, a spiel that Lorenzo rattles off in an almost joking fashion but nevertheless does nothing for Ally’s hopes and self esteem. Elliott’s Bobby has the actor’s usual dignified presence and he's always interesting when he's on screen, but he does seem a little old to play Jackson’s brother. (For the record, the script includes several lines that do address the age difference between the two men, so the writers were quite aware of who was cast as the elder brother.)

The music, as you might imagine, is an integral part of the story, and there’s a lot of it. If you enjoy rock with southern and country influences, you’ll like what’s in store for you in the first half of the movie. As Ally becomes more successful, she branches out to different genres and the music becomes more pop- and dance-friendly. That’s the best I can do with the descriptions of the music as I’m not a music critic and, as always, YMMV; for me, I liked it enough that I’m tempted to buy the soundtrack.

Speaking of which, one of the more interesting directorial choices that Cooper makes is his avoidance of background music. Any time you hear music in the film, you’ll see the characters performing a song, doing a sound check, or some other in-camera activity that accounts for the music. In only one instance is there what appears to be incidental music, and it’s during a critical moment when one of the characters hits rock bottom and you hear powerful drumbeats that seem to come from nowhere. (Either that or someone in the movie asked an Apple iHome that was off-screen to play aggressive drums, and I just missed that part.)

Regardless of how you feel about the music in this film, A Star Is Born is a terrific first full length-feature from Bradley Cooper--so much so that his film is undoubtedly going to be a part of the conversation when awards season rolls around.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6092 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Fahrenheit 11/9

Moore's latest is horrifyingly timely and well-researched. It has less to do with Trump and more to do with America's long-standing problems overall.
Sad to see it's done so poorly at the box office.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6092 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
A Simple Favour

Not sure why this film comes off as a sort of rom-com quirky film (trailer perhaps?) when in reality it's more of a 'Gone Girl' lite - lots of twists (maybe a bit too much, especially towards the end), dark humour and solid acting from both Kendrick and Lively. Very enjoyable.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9381 posts
1639 upvotes
Montréal
newt_101 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 12:55 am
A Simple Favour

Not sure why this film comes off as a sort of rom-com quirky film (trailer perhaps?) when in reality it's more of a 'Gone Girl' lite - lots of twists (maybe a bit too much, especially towards the end), dark humour and solid acting from both Kendrick and Lively. Very enjoyable.
Enjoyable but is Kendrick trying to intentionally be annoying? Couldn't stand her in there.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6092 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
tranquility922 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 2:13 am
Enjoyable but is Kendrick trying to intentionally be annoying? Couldn't stand her in there.
At the risk of not being politically-correct, I can't stand her face, her voice, her attitude - all of it that. What she gives off on-screen in all of the performances I've seen her in before - she's just an annoying actress that bothers me.
HOWEVER - this role was excellent for her based on the character she was playing. Even right from when you first see her, the other parents/teachers/her YouTube viewers can't stand her. The filmmakers took her 'charm' to the next level.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9381 posts
1639 upvotes
Montréal
newt_101 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 9:23 am
At the risk of not being politically-correct, I can't stand her face, her voice, her attitude - all of it that. What she gives off on-screen in all of the performances I've seen her in before - she's just an annoying actress that bothers me.
HOWEVER - this role was excellent for her based on the character she was playing. Even right from when you first see her, the other parents/teachers/her YouTube viewers can't stand her. The filmmakers took her 'charm' to the next level.
We're on the same page, ya, she's not very appealing. Yet they keep promoting her like she's some bigwig's daughter.