Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 11:55 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10963 posts
1978 upvotes
Toronto
VENOM (2018)

OK...so here's my non-spoiler mini-review of Venom. I was by sheer luck able to a get a pass to the Sony Screening of "Venom" yesterday evening (I decided to give it a shot in the last minute...and went to the venue. I was lucky to get it from some good samaritan who had a spare pass when I took a chance and went to see if I could get in..and was not very confident because this is a Sony Screening and they are usually unpleasant in giving passes to anyone who doesn't have officially an invitation to the screenings).

So on with my review...Let's start with the good:

- Tom Hardy does a good, although different, take on Eddie Brock / Venom. Making him be more of a goofball/washed up guy who cracks jokes both intentionally and unintentionally. For me, his take worked in this sphere of this movie. The banter between him and the Venom Symbiote was pretty funny most of the time and quite entertaining.

- The visual effects and sound effects (of Venom especially, Tom did a good job making Venom's way of talking and sound unique and close to how it really should be). The Symbiotes...move very nicely when crawling around etc.

Venom looks in terms of sheer size...like Venom. However, I still do not like the Eyes...they are too narrow...and should have covered most of the face just like how Tod McFarlane had drawn him originally. Also, it's weird seeing Venom WITHOUT the White Spider emblem on his chest. I am guessing Sony's planned introduction of Venom to Spider-Man...and Venom will say something like: "I like that itsy-bitsy spider drawing you have on your chest...but I can do BIGGER and BETTER!" and then just etch the famous Venom Spider-logo on this Symbiotic skin. You can quote me on that when/if this happens in a Venom/Spider-Man cross-over movie. ;-)

- The action scenes with Venom were mostly good and action packed. However, some scenes were too shakey and fast paced and in darkness that you miss a lot of the action details going on in that scene.

- Riot's pretty bad-ass in this movie...and kind of reminded me of the T-1000 with his body-formed weaponry he used to attack or kill people with.

-There's a nice cameo by someone we all know...and love. ;-)

- Look for a Mid-Credits scene that was expected...but the person playing that character was a big and hilarious (in terms of how that person looked) surprise to me...but it worked and if it happens...I think it's gonna be great! 'Nuff Said.

- Look for another End-Credits scene/clip from the upcoming "Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse" Animated movie...it's quite a long clip and is hilarious and peaked my interest now more in watching that movie (Nothing to do with Venom...as they say..."Meanwhile in another alternate (or parallel (or somthing along that line) universe..." before they play the clip).

Now for the bad:

- They quickly reveal a Symbiote's weaknesses and remind the audience of these weaknesses more than once throughout the movie.

- The main villain (Riot) and Venom's motive to fight/face/stop him felt a bit rushed with no really solid reason why Venom would do that...except for a lame reason that doesn't make sense since Venom's symbiote really has not been on earth for very long to come to that conclusion.

- Riz Ahmed (although I liked him in "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" as the defective Imperial Pilot who joins the Rebellion)....just didn't cut it for me a really evil-genius type of character. This was a bad choice in my opinion.

- Venom is but one of a bunch of Symbiote's that get out of control in this movie...and one of the plots holes / bad writing is why was he the only one who spoke at the level of a human and cracked jokes and mocked people...while the other symbiotes in general were just like primitive/zombie like with their hosts...no talking...nothing. Is Venom like a high-IQ genius among them (according to Venom...in this movie...he admits he was a loser on his planet like Eddie is to him a loser on Earth). So why the hell is that? Only Riot is as smart or talkative etc. as Venom here.

- I didn't like at all Michelle William's acting or character or anything about her in this movie. She is just...there...to support Eddie Brock..and has this love/hate relationship with him that just is paper-thin in terms of grabbing my interest and is there just to help support his character.

- Few plot holes here and there because of rushing through the story...when it should have had more time given to flesh out the major characters. So bad writing there in those instances.

- The soundtrack does not have a single tune that makes it memorable like in the Raimi's Spider-Man movies...or the Burton Batman movies...or like the original Superman movies. Nothing!

Overall, rushed storyline and characters that were not fleshed out enough for an origin story....but overall an entertaining movie with cool action scenes and VFX...and some funny lines and moments sprinkled in there.

I give it a rating of 3 out of 5 "Legless...Armless...Headless...Turds, in the wind!" :)

Watch and decide for yourselves...and let us know what you thought of the movie here too! Cheers!

Scorpionsy
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Sep 23, 2018
4 posts
2 upvotes
I've just watched IT (2017), I expected a bit more but it was still very classy, enjoyed it throughout.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9381 posts
1639 upvotes
Montréal
You know that silly trying-to-be-funny banter in Deadpool? It didn't work for me there but in Venom, it does. I recommend it and I don't even really like this overplayed genre. Tom Hardy's a good actor.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1606 posts
138 upvotes
Project Gutenberg

Its Chow Yun Fat in a proper movie. What more do you want explained?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3486 posts
1299 upvotes
Edmonton
tinlun wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 2:28 pm
Project Gutenberg

Its Chow Yun Fat in a proper movie. What more do you want explained?
I tried to watch it over the weekend, but Cineplex cancelled the showing two hours before its start time lol~

Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1606 posts
138 upvotes
ChinpokoMon wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 7:39 pm
I tried to watch it over the weekend, but Cineplex cancelled the showing two hours before its start time lol~

Did they show it at earlier screenings?
People keep talking about The Usual Suspects and how this movie pulled a Keyser Soze. XD

It's pretty amusing. Chow Yun Fat was great though.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3486 posts
1299 upvotes
Edmonton
tinlun wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 7:49 pm
Did they show it at earlier screenings?
I'm not sure. I suspect they're waiting till the last minute to send out the cancellation notices for every showtime just in case they received the film rating.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1606 posts
138 upvotes
ChinpokoMon wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 7:56 pm
I'm not sure. I suspect they're waiting till the last minute to send out the cancellation notices for every showtime just in case they received the film rating.
I checked the Toronto screen times and it's still playing in theatres.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3486 posts
1299 upvotes
Edmonton
tinlun wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 8:19 pm
I checked the Toronto screen times and it's still playing in theatres.
The e-mail they sent me mentioned the film not receiving the necessary rating in Alberta, so it's probably just an Alberta thing.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1606 posts
138 upvotes
ChinpokoMon wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 12:53 am
The e-mail they sent me mentioned the film not receiving the necessary rating in Alberta, so it's probably just an Alberta thing.
That's a huge bummer. Probably best to go into the movie not knowing anything about it. For that one aspect, it was a good thing. I did find myself a little confused during the whole process into making counterfeit US bills. Might consider a second viewing when I get the time to do so.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6092 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
ReeGee wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 11:18 pm
This book is one of my favorites of all time and I was really hoping this would be good but it's a pretty awful adaptation imo. It's not necessarily a bad movie and I can see someone with no knowledge of the book maybe enjoying it but I felt it failed at capturing the world, details and tone that make the book a classic. Extremely important themes and impactful moments are completely absent from this movie. When this was announced the first thing I thought of was how cool the mechanical hound could be and that was left out entirely lol. The forced attempts at making the technology and social interactions relatable to today while completely leaving out Mildred's character arc is absolutely baffling.
Also while it won't matter for the majority of people who watch this, the easily recognizable and overused filming locations in Toronto really took me out of it at times. They need to stop filming movies at UTSC
Huh? You're quoting the wrong post.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6180 posts
2255 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 1:18 am
Huh? You're quoting the wrong post.
oh wow I have a habit of quickly searching this thread for stuff I just finished watching, totally skimmed your post and assumed you were suggesting Fahrenheit 451 as good which released earlier this year. I guess I'll have to save that misplaced rant for the bad movie thread Face With Tears Of Joy. Trippy how some of what you said could actually apply to both movies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4838 posts
1070 upvotes
Aurora
A Star is Born. Happy times, sad times, funny times. Thoroughly enjoyable. Not overly sentimental and not a shamelessly manipulative tearjerker. Bradley Cooper is terrific as always and Lady Gaga, whom I've never been a big musical fan of, knocks it out of the park. Music was good, not great. I saw this in UltraAVX; wow, the sound was great! Highly recommended.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6180 posts
2255 upvotes
Toronto
I thought Hotel Artemis was very refreshing and unique though a bit rushed. Great cast, interesting world and premise, cool action. I got some Shadowrun vibes from it. It was good but I get the impression the budget was tight as it felt a bit rushed and ended somewhat abruptly. Still worth a watch.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6092 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Talamasca wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 6:35 pm
22 July by Paul Greengrass. Excellent and powerful movie.

Seriously - I appreciated the fact that this wasn't all action/intense/real-time-esque like his past films but showed depth and emotion that took place during the aftermath - from the criminal/victims/politicians.
Hope that now that it's finished the festival premieres, Netflix users will get a chance to experience a really solid entry into the genre.

77 people (mostly kids) were killed by one man in one day - heart-breaking!
Last edited by newt_101 on Oct 12th, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.