Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:10 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: I just finished RRR, and wow, that was something. It's amazing, goofy, funny, stupid, jaw dropping, musical, action packed, and all sorts of fun.

Throw together Indian filmmaking, Fast and the Furious, The MCU, John Wick, 300, Taken, a crapload of special effects, Bollywood (Tollywood) musical, historical drama, comedy, revenge, romance, bromance, and everything in between, and you get something that's just incredible to witness.

Watch this clip and tell me you're not at least somewhat intrigued:
Turns out this is really that good. I've just been waiting for a good night that I can get baked and settle in for 3 hours uninterrupted and wow what a ride this was.

Visually among the best of anything I've watched in 4K, even the parts that are obviously CGI are still artistically great in the context of the scenes and overall style of the movie. The plot moves so fast and there were a few jarring jumps in events that were briefly confusing but nothing that takes away from this being a wildly entertaining creative masterpiece from start to finish. This film is really doing its own thing in tone and style and does it all so well. It's so serious and not serious at the same time. I love movies that make me think "wtf did that really just happen" like this did at least a dozen times.

The party dance scene is one of the best things I've ever seen and by the finale I was floored by this films ability to keep the foot on the gas and crank up the action. Easily one of the best films of the year and this has to be in the running for best foreign film if not best picture. Incredibly fun ride that I'll be revisiting for sure. Any gripe I have with this film is so minor or subjective nitpicking with it being so intentionally over the top that I'd be reaching for any reason to dock the score so with that said this is a 10/10
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) - Forgot to add that I watched this for the first time the other night. How have I not watched this before until now? I've always heard this is a classic but never got around to it thinking it'd be too old for me to relate to or appreciate but that was wrong. In a way I'm glad I got to watch this for the first time as an adult with travel experience because it's fascinating how relatable so much of this still is 35 years later. Also complete coincidence that I put it on Thursday not knowing it's about Thanksgiving which made it all the more enjoyable to watch.
The writing, directing, acting, comedic timing, the soundtrack, everything in this is so on point and has aged so well. The first hotel stay and car rental/airport scenes were my favorite and had me cracking up. John Candy was a true Canadian treasure. It's pretty incredible being able to put on a movie this old at home on a big modern TV in 4K HDR and it looks better than it probably ever has. This encapsulates the 80s so well while still being relevant and enjoyable today and I need to go back and revisit more movies from this era. Better late than never and I truly loved this. 9/10
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
ReeGee wrote: Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) - Forgot to add that I watched this for the first time the other night. How have I not watched this before until now? I've always heard this is a classic but never got around to it thinking it'd be too old for me to relate to or appreciate but that was wrong. In a way I'm glad I got to watch this for the first time as an adult with travel experience because it's fascinating how relatable so much of this still is 35 years later. Also complete coincidence that I put it on Thursday not knowing it's about Thanksgiving which made it all the more enjoyable to watch.
The writing, directing, acting, comedic timing, the soundtrack, everything in this is so on point and has aged so well. The first hotel stay and car rental/airport scenes were my favorite and had me cracking up. John Candy was a true Canadian treasure. It's pretty incredible being able to put on a movie this old at home on a big modern TV in 4K HDR and it looks better than it probably ever has. This encapsulates the 80s so well while still being relevant and enjoyable today and I need to go back and revisit more movies from this era. Better late than never and I truly loved this. 9/10
What a treasure of a film huh?
This scene is still to this day one of the most heartwarming ones I remember in a comedy

Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
"Don't Worry Darling". It's getting bad reviews but I thought 90% of the movie was well done and kept my attention. I didn't care for dream sequence or ending but otherwise I think this film is worth a watch - I'd give it 7/10.

"The Good Nurse" on Netflix with Jessica Chastain. Based on a true story and they did a good of being accurate/true to the story (as per my research), which I'm a stickler for - I'd give this a 7/10. Well acted by the 2 leads.

I also came across an older film called "Hello my Name is Doris" - this is a cute film with Sally Field and something a bit out of the ordinary. It's probably not for everyone but if you're looking for something funny (I actually laughed out loud a few times) and cute to watch on a rainy day, it's a good choice...some cringe-worthy moments in the movie for sure lol.

I also watched Trevor Noah's recent Netflix special - not as funny as his other stuff but decent enough. He has a bit on Justin Trudeau that some might like. I don't find him as funny as I once did but he's still good.
ReeGee wrote: Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) - Forgot to add that I watched this for the first time the other night. How have I not watched this before until now? I've always heard this is a classic but never got around to it thinking it'd be too old for me to relate to or appreciate but that was wrong. In a way I'm glad I got to watch this for the first time as an adult with travel experience because it's fascinating how relatable so much of this still is 35 years later. Also complete coincidence that I put it on Thursday not knowing it's about Thanksgiving which made it all the more enjoyable to watch.
I haven't re-watched this one as an adult but I did watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Parenthood (both of which I love)...and notice Steve Martin plays a lot of characters that are perpetually annoyed (there's also No Murders in the Building, Father of the Bride) lol. I also re-watched Uncle Buck recently as an adult too and still enjoyed it. Another 80's movie that aged well is a Fish Called Wanda - one of my favs.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2547 posts
1902 upvotes
GTA
ji2o0k wrote: +2 - wept like a baby when I saw it the one time, I don't dare watch it again.....
Wanna watch this,but the weeping part is holding me back.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Swimmers moved me recently. Was humbled into being grateful about everything in life.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2547 posts
1902 upvotes
GTA
ji2o0k wrote: lol, it could just be me! I'm sensitive!
Nah, the tears come easy to me.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Saw a trio of really good movies over the weekend:

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery - Such a highly entertaining whodunit mystery. There are some great comic bits with a perfect cast. I liked it even better than the first Knives Out.

The Menu - A very dark comedy and satire about the class system, insufferable foodies and the lack of fulfillment in our lives, not necessarily in that order. It's often hilarious in a macabre sort of way. I really got a kick out of it but it may not be for everyone.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - I've never seen a superhero action movie that addressed grief and loss so powerfully before. The antagonist is one of the best we've ever seen in the MCU. I wouldn't even call him a villain due to his complex and noble motives. The actual action scenes are average though.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
So while browsing thru Netflix the other day came across a foreign film that is based on Forrest Gump... called Laal Singh Chaddha.

It's in foreign language [Hindi] so we turned on the English subtitles and enjoyed the movie.

Very similar to the original with some tweaks/changes for cultural purposes I presume.
Not as good as original but entertaining nonetheless.

Think gonna be watching more foreign films as long as they have subtitles [can't stand dubbed] since much of the stuff from tinseltown not very good.

Attack on Titan series is a another one we watch with subtitles.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
Tár (2022) - I really appreciate how this film was able to draw me into a genre and culture that I'm typically not into by being about so much more than the music. It didn't feel nearly as long as it was despite being deliberately plodding as every scene contained just enough to keep me engaged and wondering what was coming next. Cate Blanchett's performance is one of the best of the year that draws you into her world. Beautifully shot and great sound design. I loved how this appeared to be pretentious and painting a certain picture on the surface but turns out to be something much more straight forward and ironic underneath. If you like musical character dramas, this one is definitely worth your time. 8.5/10
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
ReeGee wrote: Tár (2022) - I really appreciate how this film was able to draw me into a genre and culture that I'm typically not into by being about so much more than the music. It didn't feel nearly as long as it was despite being deliberately plodding as every scene contained just enough to keep me engaged and wondering what was coming next. Cate Blanchett's performance is one of the best of the year that draws you into her world. Beautifully shot and great sound design. I loved how this appeared to be pretentious and painting a certain picture on the surface but turns out to be something much more straight forward and ironic underneath. If you like musical character dramas, this one is definitely worth your time. 8.5/10
This was the first movie I've ever seen in the US. If you thought our commercials before movies were bad, you haven't seen anything yet. I checked and there were literally 35 minutes of ads and trailers before this movie started. And to top it off, this movie has its end credits at the beginning of the movie! Combine that with a 9:30pm showtime, a run time well over 2.5 hours and a very long day of sightseeing and I was not in the best mindset lol. I was like, "when is this #!((*#$^&(#@ movie going to start?!?"

Cate Blanchett is absolutely phenomenal in this movie though! Look for her to be nominated and quite possibly win a lot of awards for it.
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17436 posts
12787 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: Open hearted dog lovers may enjoy Hachi: A Dog's Tale

I saw maybe the last third OTA while channel flipping a couple years back and haven't managed to catch any subsequent broadcasts
newt_101 wrote: The Japanese original from the mid-80s is also a good watch - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093132/
I was reminded of this movie (after ruminating about Grave of the Fireflies) which led me to finding out someone uploaded the Japanese original to YT in parts

Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
Watched Tropic Thunder over the weekend on Netflix.
Its a safe bet there will never be a sequel especially in today's environment.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Swimmers.

Show this one to your kids and make them understand.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
KravenHead wrote: Watched Tropic Thunder over the weekend on Netflix.
This post me-me-me-makes me happy

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
rachjacks wrote: Watched this last night, a lot better than I thought it would be.

The Greatest Beer Run Ever (from Apple TV+ - 2022)

Set in 1967 - New Yorker goes to Vietnam during the war to deliver beers for soldiers from his neighbourhood, to show them their appreciation.

Although they took some artistic license, did read (and saw a documentary from a few years ago telling this story) that most of what is shown in the movie actually happened.
ugly wrote: The Greatest Beer Run Ever

This one was pretty good. It's from Peter Farrelly (of Dumb and Dumber, and There's Something About Mary fame). It's about a guy that decides to bring beers to his friends during the Vietnam war. It leans more towards comedy, but it does have a bit of a shift in tone as the movie goes along.
+1 for The Greatest Beer Run Ever. A surprisingly wholesome and refreshing take on the war genre with great technical production. For such a ridiculous premise, it's very well executed with some great visuals and sound. The near full frame aspect ratio made for a nice watch in 4K with scenic shots and action sequences that look and sound great.
It's a well written comedy drama with few dull moments and the shift to a more serious tone later in the film was quite effective however I didn't care much for the clumsy attempts at moral commentary trying to make the same point other war films have already made better. If this had doubled down on being a comedy and stuck more to doing what it does well I might've rated this higher but it's still an overall good watch as it is.
"Every once in a while you run into a guy who's too dumb to get killed." My favorite line that sums up the experience well and Zac Efron did a good job carrying this. 7.5/10
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
3873 posts
1874 upvotes
Toronto
Almost forgot I saw My Hero Academia: World Heroes Mission on netflix just the other day. The first couple of movies were canon to some extent but I'm not sure where the third movie fits in. It looked like Deku has gotten more accustomed to his Blackwhip in this film.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2547 posts
1902 upvotes
GTA
Free Guy - not great, but decent enough.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: Watched Tropic Thunder over the weekend on Netflix.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)