Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2020 9:07 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11043 posts
1781 upvotes
Toronto
Seoul Searching. It's on Netflix. A Korean film.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3142 posts
987 upvotes
Mississauga
Great movie. Weird seeing Sandler in this role, but great stuff.

Nov 13, 2019
58 posts
30 upvotes
Sat: Midway, again good movie not as bad as I read (I have seen the original),
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2887 posts
1068 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Doctor Sleep. I know I'm late to the game but I watched this only yesterday and liked it very much. More than just liked it, actually. Shockingly, I felt it was a worthy successor to The Shining. One of the top Stephen King novel adaptations, in my opinion. It's a shame it didn't do well at the box office. This was a King movie that "got" Stephen King and not a vomitus abortion that was, say, The Dark Tower.
I'm watching Doctor Sleep director's cut in bluray. It's 3 hours long... It's amazing.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2101 posts
166 upvotes
Parasite was really good, enjoyed it more than 1917
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
2936 posts
1124 upvotes
"Interstellar" in 70mm IMAX at the Cinesphere. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7418 posts
3936 upvotes
Toronto
Snowpiercer - Catching up on the Bong Joon Ho movies I've never seen and this one was so so good. Similar class separation themes as Parasite but this is more an action movie and has aged great for 7 years old. Going to watch Mother next.
Jul 15, 2017
37 posts
14 upvotes
Mississauga ON
Just saw 1917 and WOW the cinematography was truly amazing!
The movie was intense for sure.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3142 posts
987 upvotes
Mississauga
Wilmega wrote: Parasite was really good, enjoyed it more than 1917
Absolutely NOT the case for me.
Dec 14, 2016
410 posts
150 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
kasm wrote: Can anyone recommend any good Groundhog Day-esq movies. I enjoyed “edge of tomorrow”. I heard “before I fall” was decent.
So I finally caught Before I Fall. It's not too bad if you're in the mood for Groundhog Day meets Mean Girls. (That's meant to be descriptive, not insulting.)

The story is decent enough and the young cast is pretty good...I totally bought that they were teenagers in school. (This was my big complaint about Brick in which none of the characters sounded like they belonged in high school.) As a group, they had good chemistry.

My issue (and I stress this is my issue since I'm way older than the intended audience for this movie) is that the movie does a lot of hand-holding. It uses the old trope of a teacher delivering a lesson that's relevant to the story. (Seriously, can anyone name a show or movie where a lesson is focused upon but turns out to have no significance to the story? I certainly can't think of one.)

As well, Sam (the main character) narrates the story and that narration telegraphs a number of things, such as when she decides to just say eff it and wreak havoc. If there's subtlety in this movie, I probably missed it, but the fact is, not every film needs to play its cards close to its chest and this one is for those who prefer stories that don't do that.

Also, it would help a fair bit if you like Top 40 radio from a couple of years back. There's a good deal of pop music in this movie...a little too much for my taste, but again, I'm not part of the target audience.

This is a fairly decent YA movie. If I were to give it a score out of 10, it'd probably be around a 6 or 6.5. My guess is that it'd get a higher score from someone a few decades younger than I am and/or who lacks a Y chromosome.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3142 posts
378 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Wasn't a fan of Parasite nor was I a fan of Knives out.

However I did like Adam Sandler in punch drunk love more than uncut gems. I might be the only one though

Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
2936 posts
1124 upvotes
"The Sound of Music" with Julie Andrews is on CTV right now. Winner of several Oscars including Best Picture. That wedding scene in the movie is epic and rivals a real-life royal wedding. I've actually seen this movie in a theatre before with an intermission. Now I regret skipping it a few weeks ago, when it was playing at the Cinesphere. Damn!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3142 posts
987 upvotes
Mississauga
Surprised that it was actually pretty good. Not what I expected.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7418 posts
3936 upvotes
Toronto
Spies in Disguise - Great animation and well written comedy

Bombshell - A bit overrated but good. Watched for Margot Robbie