Shopping Discussion

What the *&%^ is a line up for on boxing day???

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2006 7:09 am
Tags:
None
Banned
May 23, 2006
4535 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary
Woah! wrote: FYI:
There were at least 1000 people in line at the Coquitlam FS @ 6am.
line up went from their doors all the way around past The Bay(1/4 of the mall in distance).

I passed,and drove over to Best Buy,which had no line up @ 6:05am...BECAUSE THERE WERE 1000 PEOPLE IN HE STORE BY THEN.

I walked out immediately...nothing is worth that BS.
Stopped by Wal-Mart on the way home...and ended up with a very small/civilized line at 7am,and got better deals than either BB/FS had advertised in their flyers.

They even PM'd an X-Men Blu-Ray DVD that FS had advertised as limited quantity without ANY hassle whatsoever.Even the cashier line-ups were small and efficient

Very happy with what I walked outta there with in the end!
:D
Haha what a buncha losers
HEAT: :100%
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
birdie92k wrote: Man were you born a clown? In your examples the lines are not usually @ store open and of course I line up for those things.
Wah wah wah wah. His examples are quite valid. If you're not going to respect a line when a store is ready to open, why bother respecting a line at the check out? or at the gas station? I mean you're there and these places have the audacity to make you wait 5 minutes beofre your turn is up. Peole need to take action! :rolleyes:

Seriously you fail in crowd management. Can you even imagine what kind of impact a mad dash to the door would have on the public and to the staff? Here, in case you have blinders are on, is a good example of what could happen: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4159678.stm

edit: and if lines seriously bother you that much, just do what any sane person would do and buy online. I did all my boxing day shopping at home and it was well worth the $10 in total shipping charges I racked up.
Be kind and civil with one another
Nov 27, 2005
193 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
birdie92k wrote: Ok so I know this is probably gonna have arguments all over the place and name calling etc. but either way...

My 2 cents is why post a F*$&in' store opening time on boxing day if when i get there for your opening time someone would be pissed at me for not getting in line???
Why the F*&$ do these people continue to line up at insane hours instead of going when the store opens??? These stores have people on F*%&in' puppet strings and man are they tuggin' on 'em. Yes it's polite to line up but who gives a ****! If the store OPENS (NOT LETS THE LINE IN!!!) @ 7/8/9...then I should be able to walk in at that time. Anywaz...knock yourself out..

You know why you have to line up? Because if you are unlucky enough to butt in front of someone like me thinking you're big sh*t and a smartass, chances are you wouldn't get any of the deals you want, nor would you be going straight home from the store, because you'd probably end up in an emergency room 15 minutes later via an ambulance.
RFD will make you go broke! :razz:
Nov 10, 2005
246 posts
81 upvotes
Vancouver
I think the OP was trying to get across why people are acting so civil in a situation where it isn't called for even by the stores. They want a barn burner! I remember running through A&B Sound back in the day to grab stuff before anyone else. This meant fighting a guy who was 37th in line because he body checked his way to the front. I was 84th.

BD seems to have evolved but not into the animal it once was. It's now a tame little puppy. Stores live in the luxury that we're all going to be there happily waiting in line to buy their out of season stock for a 30% discount when it was that same price 2 days before yet the masses are eating it up.

For all those against the OP, remember the ads do read 'Door Crasher' special. Let's take BD back!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4653 posts
1087 upvotes
Toronto
I have a feeling Boxing Day is starting to lose its lustre, and has been for a few years. The first indication was the "boxing week" sales that started popping up a few years ago.

The lineups are so insane that in my opinion it's pointless to go. Heck a lot of the good stuff is available online!

I used to go around on Boxing day with my dad every year for the past 5 years or so - we'd wake up at 7am, or 8am or 9am, have breakfast, then head out in the car and drive around.

Now there's hundreds of people lining up the night before. It's madness!! Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of getting a deal - if you need to lose a night's sleep and freeze your ass off in the cold for 10 hours?? It's like nobody gives any value to their time anymore! "Hey look I just saved $300 on a TV and I only had to wait 9 hours!"
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
cuz a lot of people steal when there's a lot of people around. Even when the security sensor goes off, it's hard to figure out who's bag went off if there's a blitz of people at the entrance/exit. Therefore, a single file could help a lot.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4181 posts
1 upvote
Door crashers need to be renamed to wait-in-line-for-5-hours-to-get-a-slip-that-guarantees-you-the-itemers. Honestly, I thought the point of a door crasher was that anyone could show up at any time before the opening of the store to make an attempt at getting the product they want. Now it's just the employees simply handing out forms that basically guarantee those who are first in line and have waited countless number of hours outside the store any item they wish while the other people with some common sense that come as the store opens get left out in the cold (in both the literal and colloquial form). Well, whether or not things have gotten better as a result of this shift is certainly up to your own personal judgement but boxing day just isn't the same anymore. It's a good thing online shopping exists otherwise this would suck.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2287 posts
1632 upvotes
Toronto
BD is getting lamer by the year.

It used to be big sales and now, the most you can probably get is an extra $50 bucks, and that's if it's a piece of crap item that nobody wants.

Today, I just went to Wal-Mart, bought some Mad Catz Component cables for $10 (30% off all Mad Catz stuff) and walked out. What I found depressing is that all the Mad Catz controllers were sold out. I bet you by next week, there will be a long line up in the Returns section.
Dec 24, 2003
113 posts
7 upvotes
OP should try the no line up approach the next time Wiis are released at Best Buy (Friday).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7608 posts
7342 upvotes
This all comes down to opportunity cost and the marginal rate of substitution. What do you value more sleep or savings? It's that simple.
Jun 14, 2005
163 posts
11 upvotes
What's worth camping out for now adays? If you troll RFD forum enough, you probably can get what you want, delivered to the door for the same price of these door crashers. Back in the days before the internet, I see a reason to line up, but nothings worth freezing in the cold and dealing with grumpy people. Gawd, once these campers have the goods in there hand, do they ever ask themselves the questions... "Do I really need it or am I buying it just because it is cheap?" Just my 2 cents.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2771 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
Urdailo wrote: What's worth camping out for now adays? If you troll RFD forum enough, you probably can get what you want, delivered to the door for the same price of these door crashers. Back in the days before the internet, I see a reason to line up, but nothings worth freezing in the cold and dealing with grumpy people. Gawd, once these campers have the goods in there hand, do they ever ask themselves the questions... "Do I really need it or am I buying it just because it is cheap?" Just my 2 cents.
+1... You have a great point. I went out today to scope out some deals, most of the things I saw, I was like, seen it at a better deal on RFD before, or it will come on sale again. :)
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2771 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
birdie92k wrote: Yes it's polite to line up but who gives a ****! If the store OPENS (NOT LETS THE LINE IN!!!) @ 7/8/9...then I should be able to walk in at that time.
OP, do you have any common sense? Like most everyone who replied back said, of course you have to line up.

If people want to come early... very early to line up and wait, then to his each his own. You show up later, and see a line, well tough luck. They were there first. FIRST COME FIRST SERVE. Stand in line! I can't believe we have to tell you that. Where's your IQ? :confused:
Apr 2, 2004
21 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby
Woah! wrote:
FYI:
There were at least 1000 people in line at the Coquitlam FS @ 6am.
line up went from their doors all the way around past The Bay(1/4 of the mall in distance).

I passed,and drove over to Best Buy,which had no line up @ 6:05am...BECAUSE THERE WERE 1000 PEOPLE IN HE STORE BY THEN.

I walked out immediately...nothing is worth that BS.
Stopped by Wal-Mart on the way home...and ended up with a very small/civilized line at 7am,and got better deals than either BB/FS had advertised in their flyers.

They even PM'd an X-Men Blu-Ray DVD that FS had advertised as limited quantity without ANY hassle whatsoever.Even the cashier line-ups were small and efficient

Very happy with what I walked outta there with in the end!
jiffylube1024 wrote: I have a feeling Boxing Day is starting to lose its lustre, and has been for a few years. The first indication was the "boxing week" sales that started popping up a few years ago.

The lineups are so insane that in my opinion it's pointless to go. Heck a lot of the good stuff is available online!

I used to go around on Boxing day with my dad every year for the past 5 years or so - we'd wake up at 7am, or 8am or 9am, have breakfast, then head out in the car and drive around.

Now there's hundreds of people lining up the night before. It's madness!! Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of getting a deal - if you need to lose a night's sleep and freeze your ass off in the cold for 10 hours?? It's like nobody gives any value to their time anymore! "Hey look I just saved $300 on a TV and I only had to wait 9 hours!"
I totally agree that the BD sales have gotten out of hand compared to 5+ years ago. Back then, getting up early was enough to get some good deals. Now, you gotta line up the day before? WTF!

Today was my first BD sale in BC (New Westminster/Vancouver) and the first time I shopped in person at a BD sale in about 5 years. I get to the BB in Queensborough and the line up is nasty long. I just went home-- why bother to stand in line at 6 am for ~4 hours?

I went out again later in the day (5 pm) to another BB in Vancouver. I was able to get the thing I wanted (Toshiba HDD DVD Recorder) at $30 cheaper than the BD sale price because there were 2 "open box/refurb" sitting there at the store that no one wanted to bother with (or maybe the clerks put them out later in the day??). So, I was rewarded for NOT standing in line all that time.

What bothered me the most was the limited entry after the store opened. I know that all the people would be hard to watch but a busy store during the rest of the year doesn't have lineups.

I'll keep shopping online for my sales from now on ;)
Nov 23, 2002
610 posts
139 upvotes
Vancouver
i remember people getting trampled over in the states over a cheap laptop on black friday. ne ways this topic is pretty pointless, i'm surprised someone actually thinks that a mad dash into the store is the best way to deal with boxing day.
only way you can get rid of line ups is if the store carried crazy amounts of stock for each item but then the sales wouldn't be as good. places like visions just use their door crashers to get people in the store since they're selling alot of things at a loss there.
Feb 2, 2005
360 posts
7 upvotes
Burnaby
First of all its Called First Come First Serve...hope you learn it by now. You respect the people who took their sleeping time and wait outside for 4 or 8 or 12 hours. You cant just walk there and expect to go get the stuff you want. If you r like that, then please move to US ...cause their Black Friday just need more people like you "birdie92k".

Yes BD has changed over the yrs but everything changes, the world keep changing. Waiting outside of the store can be fun too. I waited outside with my friends or family.We talk and we laugh and at the end we can go home happy because we baught a little present for ourselves. I rather not stay at home and play game for 6-8 hours.

I dont really get why people complain about the line up now and you drive around your city try to hunt down the last 300 laptop or a 1 dollar Zellar's deal.
You wasted your time and gas(complain about gas went up) and I hope you'll not get into an accident because you really want that 300 dollars laptop.

At the end all I want to say is that this is the world we r living today whether or not you like it or not, deal with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2006
1054 posts
10 upvotes
this is less about stores having people on a string than just plain common courtesy.

yeah stores open at 6 or 10 or whenever. but there are only 20 of an item. if there are 1000 people there to buy something how else do you decide who gets it?

i don't know how the OP doesn't have enough common sense to realize that during a major sale there's going to be a hell of a lot more demand than available stock.

forget all the stuff about whether it's lame or not to line up at 3 am or whatnot. i personally would never do it, and actually think it's kind of a waste of time. but i wouldn't crap on people who do it.

if i get there at 12 pm i should be served after people who were there at 11 am, that's how simple it is.
Sep 27, 2006
15 posts
I have waited in line for many things over the years, but the earliest I remember hearing about waiting in a line up for something was when my parents were trying to get me a Cabbage Patch Kid from Canadian Tire. I have punched my time in line-ups over the years for many things but now I chose to buy online if I can, and that includes concert tickets. Although, weren't we lining up to wait for the bus in Kindergarten? Line-ups are about abiding the 'First Come First Served' rules.

If you don't want to wait in the line up, then don't! I didn't want to wait in the FS line-up so instead I chose to buy my Monitor online. Who cares about the $12 S&H by the time I drove to the store, bought a couple Timmy's I would be up to about $6 and waiting in the nasty weather we had?! Man, if you waited outside in that, you deserve to be the first in line. It is all about being civilized!

If you don't like the way a line-up works then you are in for a real rocky ride through your life. The way I see it, no one is forcing you out to these stores. They only have so many items in stock, and yes these sales are meant to draw people in. That is what it is all about! If you don't want to wait in line, try buying online, if you don't have access to online shopping then I guess you will have to wait in line if you want something. No one is forcing you to wait for hours in the cold, it is your choice. But, yes we must wait in line, the same as we do for almost everything else in life, and always have done.

Get over it, stop wining!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)