• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 8:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5187 posts
815 upvotes

What to look for in fiberglass doors

So during the -40 cold spell, my front door seems to be leaking cold air quite badly. The SO wants to have it replaced. A thermal scan with my SEEK shows that the door bottom and the sidelites go as low as 4C, roughly 17C less than room temperature. There's also ice buildup along the bottom and side of the sidelite.

Which brand of insulated fiberglass doors is good? What feature should I look for? The currently installed door is your basic Masonite steel door with a fan window. You can buy one from anywhere for $275. Our budget is $4000, hopefully including installation. The measures including the trim are around 58"x84".

I know we're going to be insulating for ~5% of the weather conditions but you know what they say about a happy life...
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1773 posts
431 upvotes
Markham
You have to consider the entire door system, not just the door slab.

If you are going with fiberglass door, consider multi-point lock. Go to a store and you will see the flex of fiberglass door.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3566 posts
726 upvotes
Ottawa
We looked into this 7 or 8 years ago and found that the only really good brand back then was Thermatru and that was going to set us back around $10k stained and installed (wide-ish door with 2 sidelights). Even JeldWen or Masonite systems were going to be ~$8k and weren't going to look as good. And that was before door hardware!

We still have our old double (steel) doors but they got a very nice paint job...
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4853 posts
1603 upvotes
Paris
4k is a good budget for ONE stained and installed door. If you have 2 sidelites and a door 4k won't get you steel. Your budget for that in fibreglass should start at 8k and go as high as 12k depending on options. In steel a good budget is 6k. 2k per panel (sidelite - 2k, door - 2k, sidelite - 2k)
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5187 posts
815 upvotes
12k for a door & sidelites seems really high. :) I would like to get rid of the sidelites.

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4853 posts
1603 upvotes
Paris
rf134a wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 7:25 pm
12k for a door & sidelites seems really high. :) I would like to get rid of the sidelites.
What is your house made of? All things are possible, just depends on how much you are willing to spend.

I don’t judge the expense or those that choose to do it, I just know what it can cost. Not my personal cup of tea but I’ve seen it look really good.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5187 posts
815 upvotes
Right now, I have a wooden house... the search for a lot with the proper orientation for a passivhaus is going slow... there's a lot of well-heeled treehuggers here in Oil Country.

May 6, 2010
463 posts
21 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I was quoted around 7K on unpainted primed fiberglass door from one of manufacturers, lets say around Keele/hwy7 area,
2 sidelights included, maybe even 1/3 window, 3 point locking.
Installation wasn't included and I was lazy to do it as well as hiring somebody to add finish. Manufacturer was willing to sell but doesn't deal with installation.
I'm still looking for a good fiberglass door...
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4853 posts
1603 upvotes
Paris
Possum77 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:45 pm
I was quoted around 7K on unpainted primed fiberglass door from one of manufacturers, lets say around Keele/hwy7 area,
2 sidelights included, maybe even 1/3 window, 3 point locking.
Installation wasn't included and I was lazy to do it as well as hiring somebody to add finish. Manufacturer was willing to sell but doesn't deal with installation.
I'm still looking for a good fiberglass door...
Dorplex. Finishing them to look like wood is a giant PITA btw. They take about 80 man hours.

May 6, 2010
463 posts
21 upvotes
Richmond Hill
On second thought I might not need wood finish.
Is dorplex any good?
I need relaible locking and strong frame (sidelights will be narrow).
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4853 posts
1603 upvotes
Paris
Possum77 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:48 pm
On second thought I might not need wood finish.
Is dorplex any good?
I need relaible locking and strong frame (sidelights will be narrow).
If you want reliable locking, go with a multipoint lock. They are about $750-900 but it save you from buying a handle set and lock for $250.

On my tours of Dorplex’s factory they seem to do a good job securing everything together while I was there.