Automotive

What to look for when buying pre-owned vehicles? (Civic & Mazda 3)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2017 1:24 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto

What to look for when buying pre-owned vehicles? (Civic & Mazda 3)

Any tips?

Some cars have damage records, will it affect?
Some cars have multiple owners in short time, does that say anything?
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote: Any tips?

Does it car?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham

Question 1: Depends entirely on the damage. Stuff under $3K is usually not much of a worry since a bumper cover these days runs $1K. $10K+ hits on the other hand...that's a lot more worrisome especially on cars of this value.

Question 2: You'll need additional information which sometimes say a Carproof can tell. The history can tell a bit as to why they sold the car often. There is a minor plus to a car having multiple owners, each time it transfers it will need a new safety certification and likely another emissions test so you're unlikely to see many safety faults. A single owner is never a guarantee its good, if the owner was bad the entire experience the car had would've been awful. My previous car, a Impreza, had 3 previous owners in a short period of time, 1st is the original who had the car the longest, the 2nd wanted it for a winter car but didn't appear to use it and the UVIP showed that to be true because he had it for 1 year with barely any additional mileage and the person I bought it from was a student desperate for cash. This is just my one example where multiple owners wasn't a bad thing.

With any used car, even from a dealer, get a independent mechanic to look over the entire car. The best buys are those cars that are in excellent condition and the mechanical inspection is there to confirm that your chances of having problems are at least reduced and hopefully completely avoid the worst problems. Inspection for instance can answer question 1, where if they see parts of the body that don't look right underneath or they see welds...you know the car's been in an accident or worse some cobbled rebuild. Inspection can partially answer question 2, it can determine whether those owners were either just in a situation where they had to unload the car unrelated to its condition or whether the car is terrible and they're unloading a money pit on somebody else.
- Jegan V
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3500 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
1) Depends on the damage. Jeagan V said anything $3k not to worrisome. Make sure you get a Carproof with the vehicle. It shows all accidents that had an insurance claim. Ask for vehicle records and maintenance records to see if anything is re-occurring problem. Honda and Mazda both have certified pre-owned programs where they re-condition the car and provide extra warranty with that. It's up to you if you want to pay a little extra for more peace of mind and a warranty from the Manufacturer
2) I would avoid cars that have too many owners. It's a sign that something might be wrong with the vehicle especially if the owners only only kept for 6-12 months and decide to sell it. If there were 2 previous owners and the length of time is long like 3-4 years I wouldn't mind picking it up after checking the vehicle records. Always drive the vehicle and test it out on the local roads and high way. Notice any unusual sounds. You can also take it to a independent mechanic to check it out before purchasing it as well like suggested by JeaganV. It shouldn't cost more than $100.

Good luck!
Apr 18, 2011
476 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
The main point is: the vehicle in question should be used not abused. Used vehicles are always good if you want to save money. Avoid abused ones.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53

Make sure the title isn't salvage and/or rebuilt. Those are usually lower priced than clean titles for the same make, model and year of the vehicle.

Try to buy certified instead of just 'used'. A little more costly but well worth it.

Also try to buy from same dealer as the make of the car. For ex: buy a Civic from a Honda dealership instead of any random (GM, VW, Ford) dealership. Buy a mazda3 from a mazda dealership.

And finally, I'd go with a Civic any day. Mazda's rust badly and it starts showing 3-5 years later. Also Honda's maintain their residual value better; So when you resell it (assuming 5-8 yrs later) you'll get much more than a Mazda.
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
doomhammer wrote: Make sure the title isn't salvage and/or rebuilt. Those are usually lower priced than clean titles for the same make, model and year of the vehicle.

Try to buy certified instead of just 'used'. A little more costly but well worth it.

Also try to buy from same dealer as the make of the car. For ex: buy a Civic from a Honda dealership instead of any random (GM, VW, Ford) dealership. Buy a mazda3 from a mazda dealership.

And finally, I'd go with a Civic any day. Mazda's rust badly and it starts showing 3-5 years later. Also Honda's maintain their residual value better; So when you resell it (assuming 5-8 yrs later) you'll get much more than a Mazda.
Yes that's what I did. I went to couple of Honda dealers in Scarborough and asked for Pre-Certified Used cars. They have almost same prices everywhere.

And what do you mean by Title not salvaged or rebuilt? I haven't encountered this word.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3958 posts
5641 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Make sure it the person or dealer you buy it from has records of upkeeping it, I can't understate that. Good and kept records mean the previous owner was reliable and kept great care of the car. Personally I would choose the civic over the mazda any day. My cousin bought a used 2003 civic with good service records and hes been using it for 2 years now flawlessly with only changing the oil.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
blackbirdman wrote: Make sure it the person or dealer you buy it from has records of upkeeping it, I can't understate that. Good and kept records mean the previous owner was reliable and kept great care of the car. Personally I would choose the civic over the mazda any day. My cousin bought a used 2003 civic with good service records and hes been using it for 2 years now flawlessly with only changing the oil.
Do you mean records like these?

https://reports.carproof.com/main?id=vd ... lvTVQ48K9H
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1219 upvotes
aGincourt
You don't need a carproof to tell if the car was in an accident or not. Look at the body panels, see if they align well. I know for Hondas they put a VIN sticker on every body panel like the bumpers, doors, fenders, trunk and hood. So if a VIN sticker on those parts is either missing or a different VIN, it's been replaced. If a part is a slightly different colour it's been replaced. Look at the front headlight housing, if one is foggy and the other is clear it means the car has had a front end collision.

Best way to check a used car is if you bring someone with you that knows cars if you don't know yourself.
Oct 8, 2016
90 posts
124 upvotes
I learned a lot from ChrisFix and Eric the Car Guy on YouTube. They've got many helpful videos:

ChrisFix:

Eric the Car Guy:

Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53
Swswswish wrote: You don't need a carproof to tell if the car was in an accident or not. Look at the body panels, see if they align well. I know for Hondas they put a VIN sticker on every body panel like the bumpers, doors, fenders, trunk and hood. So if a VIN sticker on those parts is either missing or a different VIN, it's been replaced. If a part is a slightly different colour it's been replaced. Look at the front headlight housing, if one is foggy and the other is clear it means the car has had a front end collision.

Best way to check a used car is if you bring someone with you that knows cars if you don't know yourself.
Its possible OP is a newbie and hence might not be able to :).

Comes with exp right >?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53
test9251 wrote: Yes that's what I did. I went to couple of Honda dealers in Scarborough and asked for Pre-Certified Used cars. They have almost same prices everywhere.

And what do you mean by Title not salvaged or rebuilt? I haven't encountered this word.
Title is .. current lifecycle of the vehicle. Not sure how to explain it. You want to make sure its NOT rebuilt or salvaged. It should be clean or clear.

For ex: if the vehicle was in a major accident and it was rebuilt in the auto garage. Now the car's title will say salvaged. You want to avoid these kind of vehicles.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
If you indeed decide to buy a car with recorded damages, make sure to get a hefty discount. Use the Canadian black book, blue book whatever book and use the low value point and substract another 10%.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3958 posts
5641 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
That is part of it. But by records I mean receipts of oil changes, repairs and proper documentation regarding the vehicle to show you how it was kept and what has been done. Every time I make any change/repair to my vehicle I always keep the receipt for proof, and documentation, so that the buyer feels more safe and can trust me that the car has been up kept properly.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
doomhammer wrote:
I have a follow-up question here. Now I've noticed sometimes different brand cars show up off rental or demo on lots and I've never really known why. I was wondering if you could enlighten me on this one. Because seeing a Genesis demo on a Chrysler lot always seemed super freaking weird.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53
LoANeal wrote: I have a follow-up question here. Now I've noticed sometimes different brand cars show up off rental or demo on lots and I've never really known why. I was wondering if you could enlighten me on this one. Because seeing a Genesis demo on a Chrysler lot always seemed super freaking weird.
Yeah avoid these kind of cars.

Dealer demos are OK.

Dont buy from rental companies. For ex: Hertz, Budget also sell cars directly and through auto dealerships as well. You'll want to avoid these.

Try autotrder, lease buster and/or finance buster.ca websites.

Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
(Civic)
1. The lady said to deposit $1000 to hold the car (so no one else can buy), this can be refunded if I don't want the car.
2. She also said there is a room for negotiation after I have been approved for financing.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
What every you do, PLEASE make sure to get a Pre-Purchase Inspection done by your trusted mechanic before buying a car.

I've had way to many customers in the spur of the moment buy a car, THEN bring it to me and I tell them they will need about a few grand to fix it up.

Safety inspections - It just means the car is roadworthy and SAFE to drive on the road.
Pre-Purchase Inspection - Find any and all faults related to vehicle outside normal safety conditions.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
vaportech wrote: What every you do, PLEASE make sure to get a Pre-Purchase Inspection done by your trusted mechanic before buying a car.

I've had way to many customers in the spur of the moment buy a car, THEN bring it to me and I tell them they will need about a few grand to fix it up.

Safety inspections - It just means the car is roadworthy and SAFE to drive on the road.
Pre-Purchase Inspection - Find any and all faults related to vehicle outside normal safety conditions.
I dont have any mechanic. First time buyer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)