Cell Phones

What to look for when buying a used phone on with receipt?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2016 8:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
maxwelrr wrote: So I have been talking with the seller and he claims to have bought the phone from someone else and he is not the original owner. He has admitted to have sold me the phone but he says it's my problem. How likely RCMP will do anything about this in my favor?
A 3 months' old phone was changed hand once before it was sold to you. Didn't that raise any red flag to you? We are talking about a lot of money for a used phone.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON
danieltoronto wrote: A 3 months' old phone was changed hand once before it was sold to you. Didn't that raise any red flag to you? We are talking about a lot of money for a used phone.
Some people change phones a lot. I'm on my 3rd phone in 2016, and I'm getting a new one next week.
Nov 5, 2006
382 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
I've also heard that Samsung phones can be unblacklisted relatively easily. I'd be more concerned about the phone having a defect than I would about the blacklist, and try to ensure that the phone isn't rooted which would void warranty. That's probably easier said then done when you're trying to check the phone out in a Tim Hortons or something in under 15 mins.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Bisons wrote: Some people change phones a lot. I'm on my 3rd phone in 2016, and I'm getting a new one next week.
A couple of chit chat with the seller can easily identify if it is the case. I doubt if you are African too
Daniel

Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
eiafuawn wrote: I've also heard that Samsung phones can be unblacklisted relatively easily. I'd be more concerned about the phone having a defect than I would about the blacklist, and try to ensure that the phone isn't rooted which would void warranty. That's probably easier said then done when you're trying to check the phone out in a Tim Hortons or something in under 15 mins.
Samsung doesn't honor warranty unless purchased new, with a receipt in your name.
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Dec 19, 2011
256 posts
102 upvotes
Hamilton
When I shop for used phones on Kijiji, I only go for the ones that were purchased outright or have been paid off, both cases I ask for a receipt and can ask to meet at the carrier store (Rogers/Bell/etc) to confirm it is paid off in full so that it cannot be blacklisted by not paying the bill. I'm also weary of the people that say "only used the phone for a week" or the BNIB ones, you never know, that is the risk of Kijiji.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
Marauder2 wrote: When I shop for used phones on Kijiji, I only go for the ones that were purchased outright or have been paid off, both cases I ask for a receipt and can ask to meet at the carrier store (Rogers/Bell/etc) to confirm it is paid off in full so that it cannot be blacklisted by not paying the bill. I'm also weary of the people that say "only used the phone for a week" or the BNIB ones, you never know, that is the risk of Kijiji.
Sure it can be blacklisted even if it is fully paid. Any phone that you are not purchasing from the carrier directly - CAN BE BLACKLISTED....
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
AndroidRootGuy wrote: Sure it can be blacklisted even if it is fully paid. Any phone that you are not purchasing from the carrier directly - CAN BE BLACKLISTED....
My experience is that any phone can be blacklisted by the carrier ( or other carriers).

My case has shown it all.

i-thought-i-safe-rogers-until-1741615/

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... gers-until
Daniel

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)