Cell Phones

Locked: What makes Fido so attractive to international students?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 5:36 pm
[OP]
Aug 30, 2011
825 posts
96 upvotes
Edmonton

What makes Fido so attractive to international students?

I go to university and it seems like almost every international student (especially Chinese) uses Fido. Why is that? Why not Koodo or Virgin, since they have the better network? Is it somehow easier on Fido for international students to sign up?
Share:
14 replies
Apr 13, 2017
447 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
Because they have some very very good deal? $55 for 6GB with Fido roam for example.
Thanks for the upvote! 😁
[OP]
Aug 30, 2011
825 posts
96 upvotes
Edmonton
CelusC wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:28 pm
Because they have some very very good deal? $55 for 6GB with Fido roam for example.
The retention plan? That does sound like a great deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1239 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
Maybe it's more of a marketing thing that they have a better skills then Virgin or Koodo.
Last edited by darkman007e on Nov 9th, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 8, 2009
1694 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
My guess is because Fido was known as the budget GSM provider. It's understood that we have LTE now and much more evolved phones compared to a decade ago. However, my guess is that these international students have reported back a decade ago to their peers to go with Fido if coming to Canada because it's GSM and not CDMA, so you could bring your existing phone and go BYOD.

To be fair, there may still be truth to this. Fido's 3GB tablet plan will register and work in a phone. I heard that other members of the big three will refuse to register a sim card to an international or foreign variant of a phone. Obviously this is a YMMV, and once registered in a carrier phone, you can sim swap and the service continues, but heck, these international students probably go with what's tried, tested and true. Since these students all have papers (SIN, etc.), they likely have a higher approval rate for post-paid on Fido.

Personally, I've found Koodo's credit check to be the least intrusive (just a "soft" credit check), yet I've seen a TELUS subscriber in good standing denied service on Koodo due to a credit check in broad daylight (maybe Koodo has a really strange randomized deal on credit checks...not sure since I've only done a Koodo credit check twice and never had any issues), but Fido can even activate over the phone. Virgin is real tough on credit checks. I always am approved, but they run a credit check on me even when adding lines to an existing account (probably a soft credit check).
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11456 posts
1101 upvotes
Kanata
I think it's because many will have dual sim phones and use the 3GB tablet package on their phone along with just a voice/text plan on the other sim.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3960 posts
1311 upvotes
BC
tablo13 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:49 pm
I go to university and it seems like almost every international student (especially Chinese) uses Fido. Why is that? Why not Koodo or Virgin, since they have the better network? Is it somehow easier on Fido for international students to sign up?
Maybe they are enticed by the cute and friendly dog/puppy mascots/advertising. Advertising/fashion in Asia seems to revolve around cute things.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Jun 1, 2008
603 posts
137 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Rogers and Fido allow for credit checks on Student Visas. BYOD activations aren't credit intensive.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3611 posts
603 upvotes
Brampton ON
Because of Dogs.
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $21 10gb
BYOP ( Plan * 24months + Phone )
Contract ( Plan * 24months - Phone - GC )

Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3960 posts
1311 upvotes
BC
deelogic wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:00 am
Rogers and Fido allow for credit checks on Student Visas. BYOD activations aren't credit intensive.
Interesting. In BC, most international students from Asia (especially China/Hong Kong) are extremely wealthy (buying "their own" condos/houses wealthy), and money is no object to them.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
dealseaker101 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:24 pm
Interesting. In BC, most international students from Asia (especially China/Hong Kong) are extremely wealthy (buying "their own" condos/houses wealthy), and money is no object to them.
Wealthy people are cheap. That’s how they got wealthy.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hvwozq wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:59 pm
Is that why they all own Canada Goose and pay $5-10 for tea?
Of course, part of it is a status symbol, the other part is not wanting to put crap into your body.

I should rephrase. The parents are cheap. The kids are spoiled. Thinks the money train will run forever.
May 8, 2009
1694 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Thread has gone way off topic. Locking thread.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming