Off Topic Archive

Locked: What is the markup generally like on TV's at Futureshop?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2006 4:33 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes

What is the markup generally like on TV's at Futureshop?

Hey I'm looking at buying a new TV. I was wondering what the markup is like on high-end tv's at Futureshop and approximately how much you can talk these guys down.

Without really trying (since I wasn't serious at that visit), I got a salesman to agree to give me $500 off a $4500 TV... which makes me wonder how much I could negotiate off if I actually tried.

Any info is appreciated as always. This info can help me when making a deal with the salesman.
Share:
24 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3132 posts
15 upvotes
ainsane wrote:Hey I'm looking at buying a new TV. I was wondering what the markup is like on high-end tv's at Futureshop and approximately how much you can talk these guys down.

Without really trying (since I wasn't serious at that visit), I got a salesman to agree to give me $500 off a $4500 TV... which makes me wonder how much I could negotiate off if I actually tried.

Any info is appreciated as always. This info can help me when making a deal with the salesman.
There is very little margin in video, 500 off on a 4500 dollar TV suspects me to think that cost would be around 3500. Years ago, i used to sell electronics, and video was hell, cause it's expensive and people want deals, you gotta give em deals, and your left with little profit in the end. And thats where extended warranty, AV cables, and dvd's, vcr's ect.. Come into play.. But yeah, the key is haggle and haggle, and haggle, keep asking for a specific price, when he gives it to you, walk away!! That will piss him off good, then come back and be like my wife said if you can do it TAX in, i can do it right now..
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6267 posts
58 upvotes
Etobicoke
Typically, the markup is mininum 30% unless it goes on sale. This is lower on big ticket items.

The $4500 TV probably cost them a bit more than $3000. So, like the other poster said, go for $3500.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1388 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
i think they reserve some money for the no interest on monthly payments. See if you can save some more by telling them you'll pay all upfront and not taking the no interest on monthly payment plan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes
Cruel_Angel wrote:There is very little margin in video, 500 off on a 4500 dollar TV suspects me to think that cost would be around 3500. Years ago, i used to sell electronics, and video was hell, cause it's expensive and people want deals, you gotta give em deals, and your left with little profit in the end. And thats where extended warranty, AV cables, and dvd's, vcr's ect.. Come into play.. But yeah, the key is haggle and haggle, and haggle, keep asking for a specific price, when he gives it to you, walk away!! That will piss him off good, then come back and be like my wife said if you can do it TAX in, i can do it right now..
Thanks for the advice :) I can't ask for a specific price if it's under cost or too close to cost though ;) Hopefully I can find out approx what cost is. If it's $3500 I will bug him for $3700 and hopefully get around there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes
eelfliw wrote:Typically, the markup is mininum 30% unless it goes on sale. This is lower on big ticket items.

The $4500 TV probably cost them a bit more than $3000. So, like the other poster said, go for $3500.
Hrmm, $3000 seems a bit low. I wonder though... $3500 would be good if I could get it for that price.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2002
2655 posts
2 upvotes
ainsane wrote:Hrmm, $3000 seems a bit low. I wonder though... $3500 would be good if I could get it for that price.
dont be surprised, tvs and speakers are marked up pretty well, speakers marked up by 2x...if you arent in a rush yet, gimme the product id (100XXXXX)

i can prolly find out for you by monday when my friend works, no promises though cause i might not be able to reach him (but if someone here works for fs, they can check it up for you on their system at work)

i saw a 9999.99 plasma cost was 6XXX something + 10% so it was like 6700~ for staff + tax
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes
D-Sisive wrote:dont be surprised, tvs and speakers are marked up pretty well, speakers marked up by 2x...if you arent in a rush yet, gimme the product id (100XXXXX)

i can prolly find out for you by monday when my friend works, no promises though cause i might not be able to reach him (but if someone here works for fs, they can check it up for you on their system at work)

i saw a 9999.99 plasma cost was 6XXX something + 10% so it was like 6700~ for staff + tax
Hey, thanks. I'm not in a rush. I'm interested in the Sony Bravia XBR 40" LCD for $4500 - 10065459 (KDL40XBR1). I'de really appreciate the cost price if you can get it for me, that would be awesome.

Since it's easier to find US prices, I found this TV for $2600 at parkaveelectronics.com. The MSRP in USD is $3500, which means Parkave is selling it for around 25% off. I'm not sure if it's an accurate comparison, but in Canadian currency, the 25% off the $4500 CDN would be $3375.

I'm not sure if this comparison is fair though. But it shoudl give a general idea of what percentage retailers can take off.

beppy wrote:i think they reserve some money for the no interest on monthly payments. See if you can save some more by telling them you'll pay all upfront and not taking the no interest on monthly payment plan.
Hrmm didn't know the no interest payments affects the commission of the guys at the bottom. I was planning on doing this just because it makes sense. But if it affects the price I will just pay up front.
Dec 28, 2003
231 posts
BC
they offered $3999 because other retailers are selling it for that, so it's really price match.

don't expect much lower than $3849 thou.
Banned
Apr 15, 2002
1394 posts
1 upvote
Somewhere in the BC …
Anyone who wants to get an edge when they are negotiation should read the book "roger dawson : The secret of power negotiation." After reading this book I felt like I could hav someone give over their gold fillings with a smile.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1009 posts
beppy wrote:i think they reserve some money for the no interest on monthly payments. See if you can save some more by telling them you'll pay all upfront and not taking the no interest on monthly payment plan.
uuuhh...I don't think that's right. I'm not 100% sure on this, but don't they WANT you to put it on credit? Most companies want you to use their payment plans as they usually make interest off people who don't end up paying it back in time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes
Piers wrote:they offered $3999 because other retailers are selling it for that, so it's really price match.

don't expect much lower than $3849 thou.
what are you basing this on?
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2005
2011 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't realize you could haggle at FS or BB ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes
insanity wrote:I didn't realize you could haggle at FS or BB ?
Yeah, not many people do.
Dec 28, 2003
231 posts
BC
ainsane wrote:what are you basing this on?

I work there.
× < >