Beauty & Wellness

What is my best friend to do, every psychiatrist in GTA = "not accepting new patients"

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2018 11:52 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
155 posts
21 upvotes

What is my best friend to do, every psychiatrist in GTA = "not accepting new patients"

One of my closes friends from univ is going through some serious and sad stuff, its very sad for me to just watch and not be able to help him.
I always insist he goes and sees a physchiatrist so they can help him, but he always says that he has tried that thousands of times and none anywhere in the GTA area are accepting new patients.

is this true? and what can he do to see a psychiatrist if none are accepting new patients?
15 replies
Apr 10, 2011
268 posts
102 upvotes
If he is enrolled in a University, they usually have mental health resources through the school, for free. I understand there are differences between psychotherapists/social workers/psychologists and psychiatrists, but it could be a good starting point.

A quick search on opencare.com yields 9 psychiatrists in the downtown area (I just used my work postal code as a location). https://www.opencare.com/wizard/#/recom ... s/results/ ... maybe try calling some of them to see if they're accepting new clients?

I hope your friend finds the help they need.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
155 posts
21 upvotes
lemmiwinks wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 12:07 pm
If he is enrolled in a University, they usually have mental health resources through the school, for free. I understand there are differences between psychotherapists/social workers/psychologists and psychiatrists, but it could be a good starting point.

A quick search on opencare.com yields 9 psychiatrists in the downtown area (I just used my work postal code as a location). https://www.opencare.com/wizard/#/recom ... s/results/ ... maybe try calling some of them to see if they're accepting new clients?

I hope your friend finds the help they need.
i think u misread what i wrote. we have already tried calling more than 50 phychiatrists. i'd say out of all those only 1-2 called us back, just to tell us they werent accepting new patients.

we've tried the school mental health reousce thing. its simply not the same as a physchiatrist who sees you continnuosly. so we are looking to see if anyone here knows how to find a physchiatrist in gta that is accepting new patients??
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11291 posts
1568 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Did the family doctor give referrals to psychiatrists, or did the friend just call psychaitrists up on their own?
Namaste not namaste.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2627 posts
1448 upvotes
I think he needs to start with his family doctor and/or a psychologist first.... Psychiatrists treat patients in psych wards or by special referral from another doctor.

Or if the situation is really dire... get your friend to admit himself to the emergency room, tell them that he's a suicide risk and request admittance to their psychiatric ward...
Aug 15, 2015
478 posts
72 upvotes
Markham, ON
Do you need to see a psychiatrist? If not, stop calling them. Psychiatrists are doctors too.

To see a psychiatrist, you need a referral from a professional doctor. I studied this in university!
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4694 posts
294 upvotes
Is your friend in Ontario? Did s/he see their physician for a referral to a psychiatrist? Even with a referral, the wait in Ontario seems to be a few mo this long. Perhaps your friend could consider seeing a psychologist in the meantime.
Oct 31, 2017
99 posts
22 upvotes
Unless he has serious psych disorder he should solve problems himself or see some kind of therapist. Psychiatrists are free though and may direct you to social worker etc. Psychiatrist won't talk to you regularly unless you are truly nuts.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
155 posts
21 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 7:51 am
Is your friend in Ontario? Did s/he see their physician for a referral to a psychiatrist? Even with a referral, the wait in Ontario seems to be a few mo this long. Perhaps your friend could consider seeing a psychologist in the meantime.
he told me his family doctor has no one to refer to because no phychiatrists are accepting new patients
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11291 posts
1568 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Correct me if I am wrong, but psychiatrists (who are doctors) have the ability to write drug prescriptions. Psychologists, therapists, life coaches, gurus, priests, etc don't have that ability to write drug prescriptions. If the OP's friend needs drugs for anxiety, depression, etc., try asking the family doctor for that prescription. Or, go to the hospital and get check into the psych ward if it's an emergency.
Namaste not namaste.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Jul 31, 2017
687 posts
125 upvotes
Get her to go to a Naturopathic Doctor and/or an Orthomolecular Psychiatrist. Not many people know of that discipline, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were openings.
Aug 15, 2015
478 posts
72 upvotes
Markham, ON
What kind of services are you looking for? How do you think the professional will help your friend?

The brain and life are both very complicated.

From your posts, you seem very aggressive and result oriented. I'll be scared if your friend was my client and you came along on the appointment stressing the entire team out.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4694 posts
294 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 7:31 pm
What kind of services are you looking for? How do you think the professional will help your friend?

The brain and life are both very complicated.

From your posts, you seem very aggressive and result oriented. I'll be scared if your friend was my client and you came along on the appointment stressing the entire team out.
What an asinine, uncompassionate post.
Aug 15, 2015
478 posts
72 upvotes
Markham, ON
amz155 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 4:40 pm
What an asinine, uncompassionate post.
For example, if I was sitting at the registration table, I might have to ask you, "amz155, what does the word asinine mean?" Or I might have to look up my dictionary. If you saw me in person performing one or both of those actions, I don't know if you will be offended or pleased. I also don't know if you would think I am being serious or if I am making fun of you.